Newbie asking advice about combining stereo integrated and AV receiver into one system

elbrowno

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum and recently read Tom Parson's excellent article about combining a stereo integrated amp or receiver into an AV system to get the best of both worlds, using the same front channel speakers in both stereo (no AV receiver involved at all) and AV mode (fronts powered by the stereo amp/receiver but volume and processing controlled by AV receiver): https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/...and-surround-sound-in-one-brilliant-av-system.

My goal is better sound quality when I'm listening to my two-channel music sources.

I currently have Monitor Audio Silver RS1 fronts, RSCLR center, and Monitor Audio Radius 90HDs as rears running from an old Marantz SR7001.

The idea is to replace this AV receiver with one that has front channel pre-outs, like the DENON AV-X3700H (or probably a used or refurbished predecessor, since I don't really want to spend more than $1000 for my whole upgrade) and hook that up to the AV or Main input on a stereo integrated that powers my front channels. I would hook my two-channel sources to the stereo integrated amp or receiver.
For budgetary reasons, I've been hoping to use a good vintage stereo integrated or receiver in this system, and am looking at a Nakamichi TA-2A that has Pre out and Main in connections.

The question is, can I use this receiver this way? My understanding is that the purpose of the Main in and Pre out connectors on the Nakamichi receiver is to separate the pre-amp from the amp so that you can use the receiver as a standalone amp with another preamp or vice versa. That would mean that, if I remove the jumpers between Pre Out and Main in on the Nak and connect the AV receiver Pre out to the Nak Main in, I will NOT be able to use the Nak by itself to play my two-channel sources that are hooked up directly to it, without involving the AV receiver. In other words, the combo system described in the article wouldn't work with the Nak.

Or am I misunderstanding? Is there a way to make this work with that Nakamichi stereo receiver?

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate your help!

Tinman1952

Hi. Many points here...
Firstly your Marantz SR 7001 is now 13 years old and you might find a new Denon X3700 (or other AVR) to have a different stereo quality presentation. Might decide you do not need a separate stereo amplifier....
Secondly, the AV input on a stereo amp (if available) just removes the volume stage...you get maximum volume on the stereo amp when used with an AV receiver. There is nothing to stop you doing this with any line input and just turning the volume up when using for AV purposes.
Lastly the advantage of a quality stereo amp for music listening is it's 'better' preamp stage among other things. I do not think using the AV receiver preamp into the power amp stage of the Nakamichi by removing the links would be an improvement. As ever... your ears will decide. 🙂

elbrowno

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, the point is to be able to play my two-channel sources through the stereo integrated amp or receiver without involving the AV receiver at all, but still have the front channels available when I am using the AV receiver without worrying about separate volume adjustments. Sounds like this isn't going to work with the proposed layout.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts