Surge Protectors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dom

nopiano said:
If you can open up the new mains blocks it would be interesting to know what active components are inside. Then you can remove them and see if it makes a difference (assuming that doesn't break the main feed altogether!).

Even if I did open them up, I wouldn't know what i was looking at. So here is a meme.

No-Cat-Meme-03.jpg

TrevC

nopiano said:
If you can open up the new mains blocks it would be interesting to know what active components are inside. Then you can remove them and see if it makes a difference (assuming that doesn't break the main feed altogether!).

What is the point of doing that? There is no point, because mains stuff doesn't affect performance.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Fuses and other surge protections can't affect the sound if the circuits are designed properly. For another forumer, you can't simply "take the things out and hear what changed". You need to have a second set running, setted up at the exact same level with the dis-surged version, and, naturally, the other "surged set". You need the exact music, played at the same time on each set, the set need to be hidden and a friend of you will switch between the two without you knowing which set is who ? Don't forget that our memory of sounds is only accurate with 100% under 15 seconds, it drops rapidly after that (source : american journal of audiology).

But, as the previous poster already said, there is nothing that can be worsened by an additionnal surge protection in the electricity path. Don't forget that the current is transformed in your amp. And I never heard or read anything about a surge protection emitting noises.

Dom

I had a chance to listen to these on my brothers system, It's the same. Bright and melodic.

However the treble can be have too much attack. Really crashes through some music. I wonder if a few 100 hours of burn in will calm them down.

Placebo noted.

TrevC

DomCheetham said:
I had a chance to listen to these on my brothers system, It's the same. Bright and melodic.

However the treble can be have too much attack. Really crashes through some music. I wonder if a few 100 hours of burn in will calm them down.

Placebo noted.

Have you tried prayer? It can turn a humble Asda 4 socket adaptor into a Russ Andrews, but you have to pray to Zeus if you want to prevent lightning surges.

May 29, 2016
Visit site
TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:

Placebo noted.

Have you tried prayer? It can turn a humble Asda 4 socket adaptor into a Russ Andrews, but you have to pray to Zeus if you want to prevent lightning surges.
pray to king canute - the king will listen - the king is already waving

Dom

TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:

Placebo noted.

I might try other mains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts