Surge Protectors

Dom

I went to Robert Dyes and bought two lovely 6 way extension leads.

Once I got home and read the hidden text, it does have surge protection, which I did not want. Audio T said not to have them.

They sound wonderful though, so I'm tempted to leave it at that. One more thing there finished in piano black.

Do you think that surge protection is bad for HiFi?

163293_1.jpg

TrevC

DomCheetham said:
I went to Robert Dyes and bought two lovely 6 way extension leads.

Once I got home and read the hidden text, it does have surge protection, which I did not want. Audio T said not to have them.

They sound wonderful though, so I'm tempted to leave it at that. One more thing there finished in piano black.

Do you think that surge protection is bad for HiFi?

Surge protection doesn't affect performance.

K

keeper of the quays

You will get surges in your main supply..these surges can damage your equipment...its a very good idea to use surge protection! Re supposed surge protection affecting sound? This is a nonsense..my hifi cost thousands and I have noticed no change! I had a surge a couple of weeks ago...i was very happy I had surge protection..

K

keeper of the quays

Ignore audio t advice. It's better to be safe than sorry..you will always find people who are as free and easy with your equipment as they are free and easy with their opinions...a large surge will damage your equipment..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
How many people have had their hifi damaged by surges? I have had hifi for over 43 years and I never had a problem. Yes I use surge protector on my computer but not the hifi. Reading on other forums the jury is out, many say it does affect the sound quality, make the amp sound weedy etc. Also how effective are these cheap surge protectors? Running the power through filters and maybe additional fuses I can see could affect the power.

I would do a test plug the amp into the extention and then try direct into the wall socket.

Dom

Many thanks for your replys, I would like to believe it makes no difference and bought these because they look great.

I will do a comparison with some non-surge extensions.

And will post.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
How many people have had their hifi damaged by surges? I have had hifi for over 43 years and I never had a problem. Yes I use surge protector on my computer but not the hifi. Reading on other forums the jury is out, many say it does affect the sound quality, make the amp sound weedy etc. Also how effective are these cheap surge protectors? Running the power through filters and maybe additional fuses I can see could affect the power.

I would do a test plug the amp into the extention and then try direct into the wall socket.
in the old days amps were like battleships and could take all sorts of knocks..modern equipment is more sensitive..my pre amp is also a processor and I believe a lot of people use their sensitive electronics (iPad,iPod laptop etc) these are linked into their hifi..its makes very good sense to use a surge protector..as i said before? People are free and easy with your equipment.if you had a problem by taking their advice? They would shrink back into the shadows..and be strangely silent! Use surge protection...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:

in the old days amps were like battleships and could take all sorts of knocks..modern equipment is more sensitive..my pre amp is also a processor and I believe a lot of people use their sensitive electronics (iPad,iPod laptop etc) these are linked into their hifi..its makes very good sense to use a surge protector..as i said before? People are free and easy with your equipment.if you had a problem by taking their advice? They would shrink back into the shadows..and be strangely silent! Use surge protection...

In the old days, amps used to have quick blow fuses, I had one on my NAD about 40 years ago thats true but after that they seem not to be fitted anymore to amps. How will a surge protector protect from ipads etc links? Also i did read about one guy who had something blow up when using a surge protector, he said it was no use due to the design and now he has bought something much better but more expensive. So maybe they are good for ironing out a few spikes but a quick blow fuse maybe better for a real surge?

Dom

Thanks Keeper, in all honesty will probably keep these. For the surge and for the fact that they sound musical, bright, and I noticed bass depth in The Force Awakens.

Things can get a bit muddled though, maybe the amp or maybe just need to get used to it.

K

keeper of the quays

DomCheetham said:
Thanks Keeper, in all honesty will probably keep these. For the surge and for the fact that they sound musical, bright, and I noticed bass depth in The Force Awakens. 

Things can get a bit muddled though, maybe the amp or maybe just need to get used to it.
try Hopi candles? Sounds leftfield! Google it...you need a helper, otherwise might burn your ear! Lol..use a hopi candle then re listen to your hifi? You may be surprised?

Dom

BigH said:
BigH said:

In the old days, amps used to have quick blow fuses, I had one on my NAD about 40 years ago thats true but after that they seem not to be fitted anymore to amps. How will a surge protector protect from ipads etc links? Also i did read about one guy who had something blow up when using a surge protector, he said it was no use due to the design and now he has bought something much better but more expensive. So maybe they are good for ironing out a few spikes but a quick blow fuse maybe better for a real surge?
I agree, thanks.

Dom

DomCheetham said:

try Hopi candles? Sounds leftfield! Google it...you need a helper, otherwise might burn your ear! Lol..use a hopi candle then re listen to your hifi? You may be surprised?

Thanks Keeper, will check them.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
BigH said:

In the old days, amps used to have quick blow fuses, I had one on my NAD about 40 years ago thats true but after that they seem not to be fitted anymore to amps. How will a surge protector protect from  ipads etc links? Also i did read about one guy who had something blow up when using a surge protector, he said it was no use due to the design and now he has bought something much better but more expensive. So maybe they are good for ironing out a few spikes but a quick blow fuse maybe better for a real surge? 
I think the fuses inside equipment might possibly be a barrier against surges? I happen to think they should be fitted to consumer boards! I always thought surges were a urban hifi myth? Had four I know of in as many years! If the iPods etc were connected to the hifi and there was a surge? It's possible they may be affected and as you said protect the computer stuff as matter of course..my mate has a flash mains conditioner which is surge protected.i have a tacima one (cheap) he think the conditioner makes a good difference to sound? Can't see how? The main source and dac have their own psu?

Dom

BigH said:
BigH said:

I think the fuses inside equipment might possibly be a barrier against surges? I happen to think they should be fitted to consumer boards! I always thought surges were a urban hifi myth? Had four I know of in as many years! If the iPods etc were connected to the hifi and there was a surge? It's possible they may be affected and as you said protect the computer stuff as matter of course..my mate has a flash mains conditioner which is surge protected.i have a tacima one (cheap) he think the conditioner makes a good difference to sound? Can't see how? The main source and dac have their own psu?

They definitely affect sound. I'm glad I'm moving away from conditioner's atleast.

D

Deleted member 2457

I use a surge protector for my home cinema system and wouldn't use anything else. Ir's the only way to protect yourself. Same for my laptop and printer too.

TrevC

DomCheetham said:
Many thanks for your replys, I would like to believe it makes no difference and bought these because they look great.

I will do a comparison with some non-surge extensions.

And will post.

It isn't a belief. They don't affect performance. That is a fact.

TrevC

BigH said:
BigH said:

They do still have fuses on the mains, but with the high value capacitors present in the power supplies in modern amplifiers they have to be slow blow because of the switch on surge.

TrevC

DomCheetham said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

They definitely affect sound. I'm glad I'm moving away from conditioner's atleast.

Nothing on the mains will affect the sound. Fuses, conditioners whatever. Fact.

TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

I disagree, if you didn't have a fuse you wouldn't have any sound. ... ;-)

Dom

TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

There's a difference between the Tacima and these.

TrevC

DomCheetham said:
TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Correct. The word 'tacima' has more and different letters to the word 'these'. :O)

Dom

TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:
TrevC said:
DomCheetham said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

Correct. The word 'tacima' has more and different letters to the word 'these'. :O)

Yes, they do.

Dom

So 'These' extension leads, Connect - It Home Office. Actually say ...Surge protected to protect your tv, HiFi, PC, game consoles...

I fully indorse these, but I have not tested them against non-surge leads.

I might just tell my dad about them, see if I can make him pick up a pair.

TRENDING THREADS