Super Legato

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Webern said:
So glad to hear that you are enjoying this wonderful music. They have a joyous way with Smetana and Dvorak, with vibrato kept under control at all times. They have spoken about playing in an almost jazz idiom - emulating the freedom of jazz musicians, and I think that comes across. Their playing really carries you along. They are also quite democratic in arriving at their interpretations, spending time together to talk through their individual ideas.

@Pedro: I'm very envious of your shopping expedition. It's been too long since being in beautiful Praha.

@Vlad: good to see CPE Bach getting a mention here. Still underrated and under represented imho.

Interesting that you say that, having played the Smetana, I have been sampling the Dvorak quintets, they practically 'swing'.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
Miserere by Górecki is also excellent. If you're in the mood.

Today's recommendation is this fine album and composer I discovered just a few days ago:

Manuel Blasco de Nebra (1750-1784) - Piano Sonatas.

Needless to say I was blown away by Miserere. Quite powerful and devotional. Kudos to the LA Master Chorale.

Now playing de Nebra's sonatas. Very light and airy, hesitant or haunting. I'm a fan of modern piano interpretations of baroque compositions for harpsichord.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
The last concert I attended, with my mom in the 2nd row, last saturday (Rautavaara, Schumann and Sibelius). Daniil Trifonov was (is) brilliant. This is our main venue in Lisbon for "classical" music (except for opera). I hope the link can work out for you lads. :)

https://www.facebook.com/gulbenkianmusica/videos/1645296738863959/

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Lisa Batiashvili - Visions of Prokofiev

Released today on DG, it's superb.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0XcBwEN5vHZFcQBOo7eS3k?si=aFsKaYxJR120aS11r7KmEw

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I listened to the Prokofiev CD yesterday on Qobuz and enjoyed it very much. It's good to see fine new versions being released of these concertos, and in great recorded sound. The fillers were interesting too.

Pedro I am very envious of the Trifonov recital. He's someone I haven't managed to get to hear live yet.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Probably my CD of the year so far is '1948' by cellist Laura van der Heijden and pianist Petr Limonov.

I like albums with a theme or concept, this one has the intriguing idea of exploring works written in the wake of the Zhdanov decree, in Stalinist Soviet Union. If that sounds like a bit of a dry and unpromising concept, don't be put off: the music is fascinating and beautiful, full of light and shade. Alongside the relatively well known Prokofiev sonata, there are pieces by Shaporin, Miaskovsky and Liadov. The Prokofiev is up against some heavyweight performances including Rostropovich but I think van der Heijden brings her own unique approach and sound world to this performance. She comes across as an intelligent, sensitive performer with plenty to say (as does Limonov). Her instrument has a particularly attractive sound, which I find matches the performance very well.

If the name is familiar, she won the BBC Young Musician prize fully six years ago, but this is her first album.

Anyway, I can definitely recommend giving this album a listen. I wouldn't be surprised to see it featuring in various awards listings later in the year. It certainly deserves to. The recorded sound is marvellous, a real credit to Champs Hill, whose enterprising recordings are making quite a splash.

5060212591425.jpg

TRENDING THREADS