Super Legato

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
I love Arvo Pärt.

Today's choice is Sofia Gubaidulina: Complete Works for solo piano (Marcela Roggeri, piano).

Great choice. Why not this madness as well: Hannigan & GSO - LIGETI Mysteries of the Macabre

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Nicholas Angelich

IyxmbKJ.png

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Pedro said:
I love Arvo Pärt.

Today's choice is Sofia Gubaidulina: Complete Works for solo piano (Marcela Roggeri, piano).

Great choice. Why not this madness as well: Hannigan & GSO - LIGETI Mysteries of the Macabre

Well, it makes sense having a dominatrix looking conductor.
I have the Ligeti Project Teldec box (5CD), but I've only listened to 2 CDs thus far...

Nothing of the kind but I recently discovered David Matthews. His complete Piano Trios are brilliant (source: Spotify).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't flaw it, I like at first listen. Assertive but not pacy, a fluxus of rich harmonic layers, even joyful. Which makes a more civilized and endearing listen compared to the stop'n'go dynamics of Richter. He plows through Schubert like Yngwie Malmsteen covers Van Halen. *biggrin* Lewis makes me want to sing along and hum the melody, without headbanging.

CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Highly recommend this:

Schubert: Piano Sonatas D.840; 850 & 894 (Paul Lewis)

Have cravings for hammered strings, will Schubert. *yes3*

Tell me what you think.
D894 is my favourite of the sonatas. My preferred CD is Arcadi Volodos, both the playing and the sound. Luminous is a good way to describe it. PL is very interesting in Beethoven, and the Brendel influence is apparent at times.

I do have a cassette I copied from a Radio 3 about 25 years ago of Pollini live and that was my fave for years, far better than his studio recording.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Highly recommend this:

Schubert: Piano Sonatas D.840; 850 & 894 (Paul Lewis)

Have cravings for hammered strings, will Schubert. *yes3*

Tell me what you think.
D894 is my favourite of the sonatas. My preferred CD is Arcadi Volodos, both the playing and the sound. Luminous is a good way to describe it.

Quite enjoyable for late night listening.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Pedro said:
Teresa Berganza, Narciso Yepes & Félix Lavilla - Canciones Españolas (Spanish Songs), Deutsche Grammophon (2CD)

Lovely voice. 

I looked up the english translation of Dindirindin's lyrics. clicky

Yes, she was superb. I can understand most of those lyrics but what's striking are those songs written in Galician-Portuguese in the 13th century by Alfonso X. The language is very much close to the one we talk nowadays. Most of the lyrics are understandable.

On the Schubert matter I love W. Kempff.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I bought a bunch of CDs here in Prague (holidays).

- Now playing one of those albums on Spotify: Martinů - The Complete Piano Trios (Smetana Trio). Excellent!

I'll hit the Supraphon shop again tomorrow :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
Yesterday I bought a bunch of CDs here in Prague (holidays).

- Now playing one of those albums on Spotify: Martinů - The Complete Piano Trios (Smetana Trio). Excellent!

I'll hit the Supraphon shop again tomorrow :)

I like the abundance of allegro. *good* Excellent trio.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm listening to Jenufa by Janacek, rather nice. His Sinfonietta and Glagolitic Mass are as good. A bit too modern for some of you I fear. I recently discovered the symphonies of Vaughan Williams, quite different from the East European stuff I tend to prefer, but very English and rather good.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
All hail Sofia Gubaidulina. Those records are nothing short of amazing. I love Hommage à TS Eliot.

Janacek was one of my choices for today's roadtrip: String Quartets (Panocha Quartet). So, not too modern for me!

I also listened to Dvorak - Piano Trios 3 & 4 (Smetana Trio - again. These guys are great!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts