Super Legato

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My classical playlist. We must start hardcore.

Dynastie - Bach Family Concertos by Jean Rondeau

500x500.jpg

Let it knock your socks off

(spotify)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Good stuff, maybe I'll finally catch up on the jazz thread. When making suggestions please could you point which material is more suited to classical newbies, thanks :)

What better way to start loving classical music than by playing requiems in celebration of life through commemorating death. *biggrin*

King's College Choir of Cambridge / Stephen Cleobury - Mozart: Requiem Realisations[/b]

MI0003520721.jpg
[/b]

Lacrimosa[/b]

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
La Fiera contains a parody of Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda, composed only a year earlier. Alpha have therefore chosen to record both works, together with some extra pieces including Hor che'l ciel, an emblem of the early baroque which strongly influenced later writing. Composed by Marco Marazzoli in 1639, La Fiera di Farfa is an operatic interlude, drama set to music, as was practiced at 17th century Italian fairs. This piece was so well known that it was adapted for the stage by Bernini, played throughout the 18th century, and was still commented on during the 19th.

MI0004048687.jpg

spotify

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
429px-Scriabin-Circle.svg.png

Sviatoslav Richter plays Scriabin - Etude Op. 8 No. 11

Vladimir Sofronitsky plays Scriabin - Piano Sonatas

Vladimir Horowitz plays Scriabin - 12 Etudes Op.8 No.12

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Born in Andalusia, Joaquin Turina is the only great Spanish composer of his generation to have written as much for the guitar. His pieces find a balance between the popular influences of the various traditions of flamenco and the erudition of the great European music, on which the wind of impressionism was then blowing. Turina gives us a subtle and colorful music that arouses direct and powerful emotions.
MI0003349234.jpg

Attached to the great tradition of the Spanish guitar, he visited the repertoire by reconciling the expressive power of the romantics and the vocabulary of today's guitar, with a concern for historical consciousness and spontaneity. Her approach and her lively play, with sensual sonority, allure her audiences every time.

Homenaje a Tarrega: I. Garrotin

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Mouvements I & II (it's no Yo-Yo-Ma but I like it)

maxresdefault.jpg

Elgar and Beatrice Harrison making an early recording of the concerto (1920). Note the acoustic recording horns.

Elgar-Beatrice-Harrison-HMV-November1920.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I just might treat myself to that, thanks CnO.

*good*

It may be worth noting, that "the" recording for the Horn Concerto is by Dennis Brain (probably the best player ever)....but won't be as good a quality recording.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
I just might treat myself to that, thanks CnO.

*good*

It may be worth noting, that "the" recording for the Horn Concerto is by Dennis Brain (probably the best player ever)....but won't be as good a quality recording.

Well it's not that bad. Listenable although warbles occasionally.

Vladimir said:

Scriabin was crazy, wasn't he? Born at at Christmas, then died at Easter. But some hypnotic compositions, sure enough.

Vladimir said:
Gloves are coming off. Playing Rostropovich till my soul bleeds.

Bach: Cello Suite No. 1: Prelude
Lucky to see him play the Prokofiev concerto and concertante live at the Royal Festival Hall around the time the recordings were taped. Pretty sure they are in that new box. Inspirational!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:

Scriabin was crazy, wasn't he? Born at at Christmas, then died at Easter. But some hypnotic compositions, sure enough.

I think he did his best to act crazy to get some artistic cred. He tried philosophy, mysticism and whatnot to pimp his style, but his music is not that egomaniacal, just idiosyncratic.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Frederic Chopin: 10 Mazurkas; Prélude Op. 45; Ballade Op. 23; Scherzo Op. 31

MI0001138468.jpg

Truly enjoying this at the moment. What a great playing style Michelangeli has. Chopin is all about beauty and he captures it remarkably.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts