Subwoofer to match B&W CM8

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have CM8's and CM centre 2and a B&W asw 610 subwoofer. This sub is exceptional for 2 channel music as it doesnt produce overpowering bass however it doesnt give me that killer punch I want to hear when watching movies.

Whats your experience with thus sub in home theatre? Is there a sub that you guys can recommend thats good for both music and movies/ I will appreciate your help

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi CnoEvil

My room is about 7x5 metres. Im in South Africa and my budget is about R10 000(+-$1200). The choice here revolves around B&W, Monitor Audio, Velodyne, Boston, Sunfire, Polk Audio, Jamo.

Ill appreciate your brains

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Your room is the same size as mine, and so I think you should be looking at a 12" Sub

The one that springs to mind is this one (though you haven't listed SVS as being available):
http://www.avforums.com/review/SVS-SB13-Plus-Subwoofer.html

I don't know how Velodynes are priced in SA (they've taken quite a price hike here), but I would recommend trying to stretch to a SPL 1200 Ultra (or the cheaper SPL 1200R, if you can find one).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
power said:
That's a bit pricey but Ill check it out. Wouldn't getting a 2nd B&W asw610 sort me out?

Whether it will sort you out, will depend on what you're looking for.

There will be an improvement (more even bass response), but it is still limited by the specs and quality of the sub (which is fine for the money).....can you stretch to the AW 610 XP?

I'm afraid it comes down to "you pay your money and take your choice!"

Maybe you could get a good 2nd hand one from a dealer that does trade-ins.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think for the money you have to spend, the 610 XP will retain the agility that you like, while giving a gutsier performance for films...though there is a limit to what you can do at that budget. The PV1-D would give you what you want, but at a price.

Can you pick the brains of the dealer you will be buying off, as it's possible that you might prefer a second 610....but I personally would go for the better sub, unless I had an ingrained bass problem in the room, or listened to a far greater percentage of 2 channel (where I'd then have one sub beside each front speaker).

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decide.

Cno

A

Anonymous

I can recommend the CM8 with the PV1D sub. I am using this combination since 2 weeks now, mainly for listening to music (classic, pop, rock). It sounds terrific. My room is about 50 m2. I am using an amp and CD player of Denon.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Although I have a PV1-D with my CM8s and CM1 surrounds, I would have preferred to get a secondhand PV1 (older generation) to go with my existing Antimode s/w equaliser.

Though there weren't any around at the time. There are now.

I don't think I use any of the added-cost parts of the PV1-D, and the Antimode is a great hidden-away, small piece of kit

Sliced Bread

This is not a recomendation as such, but I use a Monitor Audio RSW-12 with cm8's, cmc and cm1.

It can certainly punch and is a cinematic sounding speaker, however it is not so good at integrating with the CM speakers. Integration isn't terrible, it's "ok", but the CM's deserve a little better IMO.

PV1 or PV1-D seem to be popular with this speaker package, but they're not cheap.

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread, and without trying to hi-jack it !

Would the pv-1d be a noticable improvement from the MA RSW 12 ?

like the op i find the MA lacks punch for films, had a rel quake years ago , less money, yet more punch for my ears!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts