Question Subwoofer Queries

Witterings

I’m thinking about adding a Sub to a mini system but was wondering how much difference it’d make and also where it could be placed.

When you add a sub does it mean that most of the bass goes to it and less to the speakers giving them more headroom for dealing with the mids / highs or does it just add more bass to what’s coming out of the existing speakers and what sort of overall difference in sound should I expect.

The current set up’s a Denon M39 with Monitor Audio BX1’s.

My other query I know a sub can be placed pretty much anywhere but if anyone knows what it would sound like under or in a kitchen cupboard … would that sound horrible?

jjbomber

You should expect better bass and soundstage by adding a musical subwoofer (REL).

To position a sub, you do what is known as a crawl test. This is where you position the sub in your listening position (chair, sofa) and crawl around the floor until you find the spot where the subwoofer sounds best. Good luck trying to fit in the kitchen cupboard! Once you have found the sweet spot, you change positions. You get your comfy chair back while the sub takes your place on the floor.

IMPORTANT. If the sweet spot is in the kitchen cupboard, you must immediately book a hearing test appointment at Specsavers!!!

Reactions: Al ears

Witterings

You should expect better bass and soundstage by adding a musical subwoofer (REL).

To position a sub, you do what is known as a crawl test. This is where you position the sub in your listening position (chair, sofa) and crawl around the floor until you find the spot where the subwoofer sounds best. Good luck trying to fit in the kitchen cupboard! Once you have found the sweet spot, you change positions. You get your comfy chair back while the sub takes your place on the floor.

IMPORTANT. If the sweet spot is in the kitchen cupboard, you must immediately book a hearing test appointment at Specsavers!!!

:):) Must admit it got the reply it deserved and yes I'm off to Specsavers:)

I googled and found out about the crawl test as well, problem is the room it's going in there are very few options where it could be placed without it standing out like a sore thumb and trying to run any wiring in the room would be a nightmare with a tiled floor and flat roof.

jjbomber

:):) Must admit it got the reply it deserved and yes I'm off to Specsavers:)

problem is the room it's going in there are very few options where it could be placed without it standing out like a sore thumb and trying to run any wiring in the room would be a nightmare with a tiled floor and flat roof.

REL do a HT-Air module, so you could use a HT/1003 sub in wireless mode. You would still need a power socket, but that's all.

TRENDING THREADS