Subwoofer cut of frequency

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im posting this for the 2nd time as there was some problem with my 1st post.

I need some help regarding the right cut off frequency for my home theatre. I have a Harman Kardon avr660 copuled to a Jamo sub with a cut off frequency of 40-120Hz and my fronts are wharfedale evo2-30 at 35-28000Hz, wharfedale evo center at 80-28000hz and wharfedale evo2-8 surrounds at 65-2800hz. Seeing that my centre and surrounds cut off at a higher frequency than my fronts do I then set the sub cut off at the centre's lowest frequency to ensure everything that cant be handled by my centre and surrounds is routed to the sub.

Ill appreciate the help.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's different schools of thought on this.

Some like to cross each speaker over at the lowest possible point, which will get the fullest sound from each speaker. I like to have ALL speakers set to the same crossover point, regardless of whether they can reach deeper or not. This means that all speakers will be reproducing the same 'directional' frequency range.

Which way you choose may depend on your receiver - some receivers only have a single crossover point for all speakers.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I think thats a solution but my problem with that is that the sub is always on and I dont like listening to stereo music with the sub on as it sometimes becomes overpowering and i feel it defeats the purpose of buying floorstanders if you gonna set their crossover frequency the same as the surround bookshelves. On the Harman Kardon avr660 you can set crossover frequency for each speaker. So does that mean all the frequency below the set frequency on the avr will be routed to the sub? Since the lowest my main speaker can go is 35Hz must I set the sub at about the same or do I set it at around the frequency of the bookshelves and center as theyir cut off frequency is higher than the fronts.

Some help please

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Do you have a 'source direct' button on the receiver? Some receivers ignore the setup when source direct is selected and send full range to the front pair in stereo - some won't override that.

It would be doubtful your floorstanders would reach down to 35Hz with any sort of authority, whereas a good subwoofer should do it with ease. Letting the sub deal with all the low stuff does tend to 'lighten the load' on the speakers, which in turn can sound less congested and clearer.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im also considering upgrading my speakers as my speakers are actually from my old setup. I know speaker choice would be determined by a lot of things including lkistening preference but Im considering B&W 683 or 684, Monitor audio rx6 or 8. I also have access to enerdy also. I want something thats able to reach the lowest frequency with ease but with a good authority on mid and high frequencies.

What would you recommend

TRENDING THREADS