Subwoofer advice/help.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

My setup is kef ls50, peachtree nova 125se and a b&w asw608. The subwoofer sound right now is pretty muddy, and takes away detail, maybe it is the settings that are wrong or that the sub is not good?

What sub settings would you use for this sub with my setup? Im not looking for basement deep, thunder rumbling bass. I want fast and detailed bass, that fit well with the music, just an extension.

Recommendations of other compact subwoofer are also very welcome.

Thanks..

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Before you buy a new sub, how have you got your current one set up? Have you tested different settings and placement in your room?

I have a BK sub which I don't use as much now I have floorstanders, it can get a bit too much with certain tracks but I can't say it has ever been 'muddy'.

Or maybe the Kefs are just too good and by comparison that B&W sub just can't keep up?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
How well is it set up? Most people tend to overdo the sub level in this type of system, which does make for an overblown/muddy/soft/lacklustre sound. Without getting in depth and technical, put something on with a fairly constant bass line, and turn your sub up until you can hear it, then turn it down so you just about can't - having someone switching it on and off will make you realise it's still there, just adding subtlely. It shouldn't sound muddy doing subtle.

Or it could just be that you crave something if better quality. The SVS SB2000 is worth looking at. Stick to sealed subs.

You could also research the option of an Antimode EQ box - easy to use and simple to set up, depending on the connections of the Peachtree. This will reduce any room issues that could be muddying the end result.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
David is correct, most people do get the sub placement/set up wrong. i have just had my rel s3 driver replaced as it was damaged in transit and the engineer who changed it remarked how well i had it integrated, the trick is to not over do it, it should be doing the duties of the lower end and not replicating any of the mids which is where the muddyness is coming from.

check out the rel set up guide, it shows you how to integrate your 2ch sub correctly.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
David is correct, most people do get the sub placement/set up wrong. i have just had my rel s3 driver replaced as it was damaged in transit and the engineer who changed it remarked how well i had it integrated, the trick is to not over do it, it should be doing the duties of the lower end and not replicating any of the mids which is where the muddyness is coming from.

check out the rel set up guide, it shows you how to integrate your 2ch sub correctly.

+1 very well said

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts