Stupid question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

Vladimir said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Vladimir said:
If any difference at all, my bet would be on the Marantz SA 8005 to be superior to the Arcam irDAC. But if the later one has a louder output, it wins with everyones ear.

Work of art.

Cheap PC soundcard you buy for your first bedroom recording studio.

[/quote

its not that bad!

i have both the 8005 and irdac. Altough 8005 does a very good job on its own i find the irdac does absolutely amazing when connected to my ipod classic.

I don't think there are any audible sound quality differences for PCM. However, one is built like a Learjet and the other as a Segway. I prefer the build quality and DSD facilities of the Marantz vs the few dB extra loudness from the Arcam. I can always turn up the amp and have the same effect. Well, they are £200 appart so that is a dealbreaker for some.

Loudness war Loud doesn't mean it's better, you own the volume knob,if it aint loud enought, use the volume knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure anyone's quite spelled this out yet in this thread, but if this helps, great.

"DAC" stands for "digital to analogue converter". The compact disc itself is in a digital format, so it needs to be converted to analogue before it will make sense to your ears.

Most CD players have a DAC*

If you are using the digital optical or coaxial output from your CD player, then it's not converting the digital signal to analogue itself so you would need to plug it into a separate DAC (or DAC-equipped amplifier).

However if you're using the RCA analogue outputs from your CD player, then it's the CD player that is indeed doing the conversion to analogue, so it does have a DAC. Just because a CD player doesn't have any inputs doesn't mean it doesn't have a DAC. Most CD players since their original inception haven't had digital inputs, but still make use of their internal DAC, but it's purely used to convert the compact disc.

It's only in recent times where more and more digital sources are being used that some manufacturers have figured out that as their CD player has a DAC already, it might be put to use to do other things too. So manufacturers like Audiolab have added digital inputs so you can use the CD as a digital preamp.

*Some CD players (usually referred to as "CD transports") don't have an internal DAC with the designed intention that they use an external DAC of some kind. The new Cambridge CXC is one example, which sort of makes sense because their CXA amplifiers have an internal DAC anyway, so there's little point in paying for two DACs when only one is needed.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I did not buy the sa8005 player and pm8005 to go loader I wanted better quality and better sound I only got the arcam dac because I wanted to improve the quality of the sound which it did do with the pm6005 & cd6005 . But since I have been a member of this site and read loads of posts I have learnt that the week link was my old Dali speakers but I did things a bit ass about face but hay shoot me . I feel that now I have made the right choices now with the pm8005 & sa8005 , Dali optcon 6 speakers and very pleased with the quality of the sound now . And my spelling is not the best in the world but at least I try

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I did not buy the sa8005 player and pm8005 to go loader I wanted better quality and better sound I only got the arcam dac because I wanted to improve the quality of the sound which it did do with the pm6005 & cd6005 . But since I have been a member of this site and read loads of posts I have learnt that the week link was my old Dali speakers but I did things a bit ass about face but hay shoot me . I feel that now I have made the right choices now with the pm8005 & sa8005 , Dali optcon 6 speakers and very pleased with the quality of the sound now . And my spelling is not the best in the world but at least I try

we use this forum to share our experiences and in general talk about hifi and sometime seek advice. Don't pay too much attention to what people say about your system. Your hifi system is only as good as you think it is.

I think of this hobby as a journey, and every now and than when a bit of extra money comes my way i keep a bit of it aside to indulge in new toys.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Vladimir said:
If any difference at all, my bet would be on the Marantz SA 8005 to be superior to the Arcam irDAC. But if the later one has a louder output, it wins with everyones ear.

Work of art.

[/quote

its not that bad!

i have both the 8005 and irdac. Altough 8005 does a very good job on its own i find the irdac does absolutely amazing when connected to my ipod classic.

I don't think there are any audible sound quality differences for PCM. However, one is built like a Learjet and the other as a Segway. I prefer the build quality and DSD facilities of the Marantz vs the few dB extra loudness from the Arcam. I can always turn up the amp and have the same effect. Well, they are £200 appart so that is a dealbreaker for some.

Loudness war Loud doesn't mean it's better, you own the volume knob,if it aint loud enought, use the volume knob

You are not getting this. It is important so I shall repeat.

If you compare two items of hi-fi (in this case dacs) of roughly comparable quality, the one with the highest output will always sound better.

But here is the rub, having heard the difference, no amount of volume adjustment after the fact will make you change your mind! It's wierd, but that is the way the ear/brain works.

The only way to make a meaningful comparison of sound quality is to listen blind with the levels carefully matched by measurement. When this is done correctly there is very little to choose between competent designs, even between budget and quite expensive models.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Daves right and to be fair we nailed all this digital to analogue conversion stuff last century, certainly with respect to converting a 16/44 stream from a CD. It's old technology, as old as LPs were when CDs were first introduced or thereabouts, so if you play a CD and there's massive differences to be heard between two competent DACs with all other variables removed, well something's more than a bit wrong on one of them.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol......

Fret not BlackSabbath, it means you've arrived.

I'm genuinely looking forward to your appraisal and comparisons - and spelling..... Prrrft.

Welcome to the WHFsv forums.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Vladimir said:

Work of art.

?

?

?

[/quote

its not that bad!

i have both the 8005 and irdac. Altough 8005 does a very good job on its own i find the irdac does absolutely amazing when connected to my ipod classic.?

?

I don't think there are any audible sound quality differences for PCM. However, one is built like a Learjet and the other as a Segway. I prefer the build quality and DSD facilities of the Marantz vs the few dB extra loudness from the Arcam. I can always turn up the amp and have the same effect. Well, they are £200 appart so that is a dealbreaker for some.

?

Loudness war Loud doesn't mean it's better, you own the volume knob,if it aint loud enought, use the volume knob?

You are not getting this. It is important so I shall repeat.

If you compare two items of hi-fi (in this case dacs) of roughly comparable quality, the one with the highest output will always sound better.

But here is the rub, having heard the difference, no amount of volume adjustment after the fact will make you change your mind! It's wierd, but that is the way the ear/brain works.

The only way to make a meaningful comparison of sound quality is to listen blind with the levels carefully matched by measurement. When this is done correctly there is very little to choose between competent designs, even between budget and quite expensive models.

The man as not even done his appraisal and already with the foolishness?

Level match??....I swear you guys aren't quite right.....

D

Deleted member 108165

Blacksabbath25 said:

You'll be fine with new purchase. I agree with Vlad and think you will be looking for a new use for the irdac in the not too distant future*smile*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
....I swear you guys aren't quite right.....
That's rich from you. In a past thread you argued for about four pages that your speakers were fed DC from the amp, and you still believe ripped CDs can't sound as good as the original, no matter how many people argue contrary. If there's one person not 'quite right' round here, you see him in your mirror.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
....I swear you guys aren't quite right.....
That's rich from you. In a past thread you argued for about four pages that your speakers were fed DC from the amp, and you still believe ripped CDs can't sound as good as the original, no matter how many people argue contrary. If there's one person not 'quite right' round here, you see him in your mirror.

Major......

I have never argued a ripped CD cannot equal the original - I've even said recently my NAD c660 does 'identical' copies.

Better quality' than the 'original CD is my argument.

You put a meter across an amps output or your speaker terminals and see what it's getting.

Better still Google it - show me a graph were you get a phase shift across +/- 0 and I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

But if you see alternating dc above the +/- 0 do not call it A/C... but feel free to post that.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I have never argued a ripped CD cannot equal the original

Good grief may your chosen diety forgive you. If I didn't have better things to do with my life than trawl your past posts I'd even copy and paste your quotes. But i'm glad we appear to have got through to you finally. Alternating DC? No, I'm just not going there. People like you will happily drag me down to your level of insanity and beat me with experience.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
I have never argued a ripped CD cannot equal the original

Good grief may your chosen diety forgive you. If I didn't have better things to do with my life than trawl your past posts I'd even copy and paste your quotes. But i'm glad we appear to have got through to you finally. Alternating DC? No, I'm just not going there. People like you will happily drag me down to your level of insanity and beat me with experience.

To the BlackSabbath - you may need to start a new post mate..... :)

Major, No....please find the quotes.

The last time this topic raised its head FennerMachine had to explain what was said as you seem to see my name and read me wrong for some reason.

As for the dc thing.

Look at a graph of what you get across a speaker, you'll see what looks like a sin wave above the +/-0 - go Google you'll see what I mean.

As I've said as is usually the way with these things......lol.

Food for thought though. Any electrical appliance feed from the mains with A/C usually has an A/C to D/C converter on board - you will not find a D/C to A/C converter at any point on the output of an amp and will find neither in a passive speaker or cdplayer etc.

Draw your own conclusion if you must - but I ain't wrong.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I got it delivered to night so will hook it up tomorrow and see what sounds best . with arcam dac or without just using the sa8005 on board dac and let you no what I think is the better out of the two for sound quality . I have had it out of the box its heavy a lot heavier then the cd6005 is .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right I will try to do a review on what I thought what sounded better .. Right first I set up the sacd player just with analog leads using the inboard dac on the sa8005 & pm8005 I started with dire straits brothers in arms ( track 9 brothers in arms ) normal cd I thought this song sounded very good lots of detail wide sound stage , and bite . Then I switched to the arcam irdac as I connected my second set of analog leads to the aux section of the amp so I could flick between analog and using the ir dac . I found that the sound was not so loud having the irdac connected it sound was not so wide open with the sound stage and the sound lost its bite too the detail was still there but held back I would say that the irdac adds a little bit of Weight to the lower end then anything I played the same song and still used the same volume on both tests . The winner for me would be the dac inside the sa8005 it just sounds that little bit better . Now scads cds being played this is a hard one to be honest I felt that the sound sounded the same as cd I put both versions on the player normal copy of the cd and then the sacd version of the same album and used the same song as before there's very little in it to be honest I tried to listen hard but there's very little in the sound for the money your paying for a sacd album . Now build of the sa8005 is far better then the cd6005 the sa8005 as a rubber like loading tray which is very quiet when closing and the player is a lot more heavier then the cd6005 is and the display is different too I would say the sa8005 player is a bit slower reading the information on what ever format you put in the player . So what have I gained here a better player I can now lose the arcam ir dac now as it sound is now good without this being connected so worth buying basically so for me the sa8005 dac is the winner which to be honest I am shocked about as I really did think that the arcam dac was better it's not . So this is my review on the sa8005 and dac test

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Right I will try to do a review on what I thought what sounded better .. Right first I set up the sacd player just with analog leads using the inboard dac on the sa8005 & pm8005 I started with dire straits brothers in arms ( track 9 brothers in arms ) normal cd I thought this song sounded very good lots of detail wide sound stage , and bite . Then I switched to the arcam irdac as I connected my second set of analog leads to the aux section of the amp so I could flick between analog and using the ir dac . I found that the sound was not so loud having the irdac connected it sound was not so wide open with the sound stage and the sound lost its bite too the detail was still there but held back I would say that the irdac adds a little bit of Weight to the lower end then anything I played the same song and still used the same volume on both tests . The winner for me would be the dac inside the sa8005 it just sounds that little bit better . Now scads cds being played this is a hard one to be honest I felt that the sound sounded the same as cd I put both versions on the player normal copy of the cd and then the sacd version of the same album and used the same song as before there's very little in it to be honest I tried to listen hard but there's very little in the sound for the money your paying for a sacd album . Now build of the sa8005 is far better then the cd6005 the sa8005 as a rubber like loading tray which is very quiet when closing and the player is a lot more heavier then the cd6005 is and the display is different too I would say the sa8005 player is a bit slower reading the information on what ever format you put in the player . So what have I gained here a better player I can now lose the arcam ir dac now as it sound is now good without this being connected so worth buying basically so for me the sa8005 dac is the winner which to be honest I am shocked about as I really did think that the arcam dac was better it's not . So this is my review on the sa8005 and dac test

very good, enjoy

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Not wishing to question the outcome of your review, but looking at the CD6005 and SA8005 - they use the same DAC chipset (DAC IC - CS4398), so when you have done your comparison of SA8005 to IRDAC by rights your saying the CS4398 chip sounds better than the IRDAC.

Which would surely mean the CD6005 would sound better than the IRDAC? Which im assuming was not your viewpoint when you were running that combination.

PS i appreciate the transport is different between the CD6005 / SA8005 however your comparison made today is purely on DAC not transport.

Anyhoo - feel free to ignore my ramblings, and at least you will have some wonga in your pocket from selling the IRDAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts