Stupid question

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok I have just taken the arcam irdac out but wanted to no how can my amp use its own on board dac if I am use analog cables as I thought you had to use coaxed or optical to use the dac is this right or am I using the dac in analog ? Because the amp has no coax or optical connection only the CD player itself

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Apologies to the OP for going off topic a bit. I was looking at the specs for the marantz pm8005 and pm7005, and noticed that the pm7005 doesn't have a torroidal transformer, I think it was an IE?

Is the type relevant to performance if each is implemented well?

(It's also a bit odd that the 6005 and 7005 have dacs but the 8005 doesn't)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Errrrr.

The PM8005 does not have an onboard dac. You CD player connects in analogue.

What is the iRDAC for?
my new cd player does i was using the arcam ir dac to inprove the sound on my old setup pm6005 -cd6005 but now have pm8005 and sa8005 cd player so trying to run it all with out the irdac connected and just wanted to no how its useing its dac inside the cd player as i am useing analogue connection ?

gasolin

wauuw you make more topics,threads then i do.

As stated theres no dac in marantz PM8005.

Do you use the same cable with or without using your arcam dac?

I mean not excatly the same, but analog/digital from the same brand,model

Slice, Not odd, since i guess people like Blacksabbath25 who has a Marantz PM8005 uses a cd/sacd player with a better dac then there is in the cd5005,6006,PM6005,7005, which should have the same dac, what i also find odd is the PM7005 has only 1 set of speaker terminals but the PM6005/8005 has 2 set and the PM8005 have midrange eq/tone control i mean it's sort of the entry level high end amp and theres a midrange eq/tone control,WHY? Does the PM8005 have midrange problems or is the speaker you match with the amp speakers that needs to be adjusted in the midrange?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is using the DAC in the CD player. You could put the iRDAC in the chain instead and see which you prefer.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Errrrr.

What is the iRDAC for?
my new cd player does i was using the arcam ir dac to inprove the sound on my old setup pm6005 -cd6005 but now have pm8005 and sa8005 cd player so trying to run it all with out the irdac connected and just wanted to no how its useing its dac inside the cd player as i am useing analogue connection ?

I dont know if this is what you mean:

If you are using the 8005/6005 connected by rca to the irdac and then a digital lead to a cd player/dvd player, the dac in the irdac is being used

If you are using the 8005/6005 direct to the cd player/dvd player using rca leads then the dac in the cd player/dvd player is being used

If you are using the 6005 direct to the cd player/dvd player using a digital lead then the dac in the 6005 is being used.

There can be no direct digital connection from the 8005 to the cd/dvd player as the 8005 doesn't have a dac

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
slice said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Errrrr.

What is the iRDAC for?

I dont know if this is what you mean:

If you are using the 8005/6005 connected by rca to the irdac and then a digital lead to a cd player/dvd player, the dac in the irdac is being used

If you are using the 8005/6005 direct to the cd player/dvd player using rca leads then the dac in the cd player/dvd player is being used

If you are using the 6005 direct to the cd player/dvd player using a digital lead then the dac in the 6005 is being used.

There can be no direct digital connection from the 8005 to the cd/dvd player as the 8005 doesn't have a dac
sorry i want to try both pm8005 + 8005 cd player without the arcam irdac now i have much better hi fi as i only used the dac to inprove the sound of my old hifi . but i am trying to say is that i am running the new hi fi with just analogue using phonos leads so will the dac be used whats inside of the 8005 cd player ? if i am using analogue leads becase i am trying to find out if the dac inside the 8005 cd player wil sound better then the arcam irdac did connected if it is using the dac inside the 8005 cd player then i will sell the arcam dac as its on less thing connected to my hifi

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
they told me that i would be useing the dac inside the 8005 cd player but then passes the sound out as analog sound out of my speakers so now i no that it does use the onboard dac . they also said try it with the arcam dac and then without and find out which sounds better

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Is this language thing?

Blacksabbath25, it might help if you tell us what country are you in?

If what you want to do is just compare the SA8005's on-board DAC, with the external irDAC....

SA8005 (using internal DAC) - Analogue outputs - Analogue phono leads - PM8005

or...

SA8005 (Bypass internal DAC) - Digital output - Coax or Optical cable - irDAC -Analogue phono leads - PM8005

Listen and decide.

z

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Step 1) connect your new cd player to amp with RCA cable to (line 1 on amp) note: that way 8005 will use its own on board dac.

step 2) using a coax cable, connect the cd player to irdac, just as you did with your old cd player.

step 3) now connect irdac to the amp with rca to line 2 on your amp.

step 4) load a cd on to your new cd player. Select line 1 on your amp, press play. Now you are hearing your new cd player with its onboard dac, give it a few minutes. Now simply switch to line 2 on your amp and now your are bypassing the 8005s dac and ir dac is doing the conversion.

BINGO!!

Hear any difference? Let us know

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Step 1) connect your new cd player to amp with RCA cable to (line 1 on amp) note: that way 8005 will use its own on board dac.

step 2) using a coax cable, connect the cd player to irdac, just as you did with your old cd player.

step 3) now connect irdac to the amp with rca to line 2 on your amp.

step 4) load a cd on to your new cd player. Select line 1 on your amp, press play. Now you are hearing your new cd player with its onboard dac, give it a few minutes. Now simply switch to line 2 on your amp and now your are bypassing the 8005s dac and ir dac is doing the conversion.

BINGO!!

Hear any difference? Let us know
thank you my spelling is not that good and there is no spelling check on here and i am from the uk . yes i wanted to do a compair of the 2 dacs (ir dac , marantz 8005 dac to find out which was the best to use thats all

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Is this language thing?

Blacksabbath25, it might help if you tell us what country are you in?

or...

SA8005 (Bypass internal DAC) - Digital output - Coax or Optical cable - irDAC -Analogue phono leads - PM8005

Listen and decide.

If what you want to do is just compare the SA8005's on-board DAC, with the external irDAC....

SA8005 (using internal DAC) - Analogue outputs - Analogue phono leads - PM8005 ( both ) to compare sound

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If any difference at all, my bet would be on the Marantz SA 8005 to be superior to the Arcam irDAC. But if the later one has a louder output, it wins with everyones ear.

Work of art.

mz_sa8005_u_n_k_bk_ot_bg002_lo.jpg

Cheap PC soundcard you buy for your first bedroom recording studio.

26778-max_arcam_ir_dac_2.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If any difference at all, my bet would be on the Marantz SA 8005 to be superior to the Arcam irDAC. But if the later one has a louder output, it wins with everyones ear.

Work of art.

the power supply is meant to be better then the 6005 cd players and loading tray as well and better casing too

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
my 8005 cd play comes tomorrow and will try both ways 1. with arcam irdac 2. useing the on board marantz dac useing my phoneo leads and will let you no what i think sounds better i have taken the arcam dac off the 6005 cd player today to see what it sounded like with my amp and new speakers and it sounded not to bad not much between having the arcam dac on to be honest and thats with my old cd player connected with phoneo leads so would of thought my new one when it gets here tomorrow will sound good but you never no

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Work of art.

[/quote

its not that bad!

i have both the 8005 and irdac. Altough 8005 does a very good job on its own i find the irdac does absolutely amazing when connected to my ipod classic.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The difference between dacs at this level will be minimal.

If you level match the two outputs using a meter you will find it virtually impossible to tell them apart. If there is a clear difference then something, somewhere, is going wrong.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Vladimir said:

Work of art.

[/quote

its not that bad!

i have both the 8005 and irdac. Altough 8005 does a very good job on its own i find the irdac does absolutely amazing when connected to my ipod classic.

I don't think there are any audible sound quality differences for PCM. However, one is built like a Learjet and the other as a Segway. I prefer the build quality and DSD facilities of the Marantz vs the few dB extra loudness from the Arcam. I can always turn up the amp and have the same effect. Well, they are £200 appart so that is a dealbreaker for some.

TRENDING THREADS