Streaming and HiFi quality

cmag

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Synology DS213j NAS, Marantz PM6002 (and CD6002), and a Panasonic DMP-BDT320 blu ray player.

I'd like to stream flac files from the NAS to the PM6002. Would the audio quality from the BDT320 be 'audiophile' enough for this, or would a Pioneer N50A provide better sound quality?

A

Anderson

Audiophile sound? Audiophile to me means low distortion with a flat frequency response, there's no reason why using your BR player wouldn't be able to achieve this.

The only reason if I was you to look at another way to stream your files would be functions provided by the player. So if I had a couple hundred spare I would buy a Sonos Connect as it would stream your files and gives you an excellent interface to use via your iOS or android device.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the DMP-BDT320's predecessor, the 310. One of its best facets was its sound quality. I did back to back comparisons using the analogue outputs (so I was using the internal DAC and analogue outputs) of the 310 and my Cambridge 640C CD player into my old Cambridge 640A amp into Ruark Epilogue speakers (which were VERY detailed and revealing).

There was very little in it, not just in terms of dynamics and detail, but also the balance of the sound. The Cambridge just had the edge when music got more complex with more going on within the mix, but I'm really nitpicking. I had to play the same music excerpts over and over swapping between Panasonic and Cambridge to discern any difference and by that time it might have been my own imagination. So your decision might be based more on whether the Panny blends well with your Marantz amp and speaker combo. Synergy of your components is probably a more important consideration than the sonic merits of a particular streamer in isolation.

So the Panasonic's DAC is very capable considering it's a fairly inexpensive machine. However the above comparisons were purely using it as a disc spinner. I didn't use it for streaming because was only capable of handling mp3 and it required having my display on, which I wanted to avoid being a plasma owner. (Screen-burn paranoia).

So you'd just need to check the tech-specs of your bluray's manual to confirm whether your slightly newer player can handle FLACs and to what resolution. Obviously the Pioneer N50A adds Airplay and a couple of digital inputs which could prove handy for some.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Anderson said:
Audiophile sound? Audiophile to me means low distortion with a flat frequency response, there's no reason why using your BR player wouldn't be able to achieve this.

The only reason if I was you to look at another way to stream your files would be functions provided by the player. So if I had a couple hundred spare I would buy a Sonos Connect as it would stream your files and gives you an excellent interface to use via your iOS or android device.

Just a bit of info. Sonos doesn't support hi res FLAC. Only up to 16/48.

SteveR750

I have the same Panasonic BR player as you do, I have connected it optically to my amp, and occasionally use it a disc spinner only (so bypassing the internal DAC). It sounds perfectly good like that, it's just fiddly to use.

A

Anderson

richardw42 said:
Anderson said:

Just a bit of info. Sonos doesn't support hi res FLAC. Only up to 16/48.

Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't know. I suppose I'm more a casual, 320 MP3 sounds good to me, I'm a casuaphile lol

A

Anderson

witch_stirring_pot_hg_clr.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts