Starting from Scratch!

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Happy New Year!

Need some advice on Amplifier and Speaker matching primarily…

The Source I’m alittle confused with, should I stick to a CD Player or should I move onto the DAC with a transport attached.

So primarily the sound I like is dynamic with attack and Punch that you can feel in your chest if you turn the volumn control up.

I was initially thinking if I could find a used, Plinius 9200 amplifier, however I have no idea which speakers to match its capabilities, any thoughts?

Most of my music is on CD, so I was thinking which CD Player do I need to buy to match the Plinius if I’m not looking at the Plinius CD101? Or do I go the DAC route? Any thoughts?

Genre I listen to is usually, R&B, Classical, Instrumental.

The room the Hi-Fi is going to be situated in, is a lounge of 30 feet by 15 feet with wooden floors.

The budget for the Amp and Speakers is around the £3k mark.

I don’t have a budget yet for the CD player or DAC, but that will be something for me to think about at a later stage my main focus is the Amp and Speakers.

Please let me know your thoughts…

Thank you in advance!

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
MA Silver and Kef R Series is a good point to start at this budget leaving enough for a proper universal amp like a Peachtree 220SE which has a very good dac included.You can also consider Event Opal active speakers at this budget.Just some idea.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
Kef R Series is a good point to start at this budget leaving enough for a proper universal amp

Kef R's are a good shout. I owned the R300's, 500's and finally the 700's for a short time. For me the pick of the bunch were the 300 standmounts for their pace and attack, but many say that the 500's were the best in the range. The 500's will certainly give you that kick in the chest you crave and are bang on half your budget at £1500.

For the amp/DAC I would go second hand. At the moment on eBay there is a Cyrus Pre XPd for £695 on a buy it now, and Fanthorpes in Hull have a pair of Cyrus Mono X power amps on at £999. If you can get between 5-10% off the dealer items (power amps and speakers) you will have a belting system there for under your budget which will see you a fair way in to your HiFi journey.

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys for your valuable insight I will look further into your suggestions....

Anyone else have any opinions regarding alternative kit or any experience with Plinius?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts