Squeezebox touch with Internal DAC into older LInn Classik

ghudson

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My system

Squeezebox Touch (modified to disable wifi and other non necessities for me) and RCA analogue output

Linn Classik

Monitor Audio RX6

I have been "blind testing" the difference between CDs been played in the Classik's internal player and the same music played from a NAS in FLAC format via the touch (played simultaneously and switching between the 2). Having got the volume the same (by ear only) I cannot truly tell the difference. (Even tried on my very old Beyer DT-311 headphones) So this could mean one of the following

1. The Linn and touch DAC are similar in performance

2. My ears are not what they were (now 45 years old)

3. The system itself is limiting the better of the DACs to be heard to it's true potential.

So, the dilemma: Do I get a new DAC in the hope that it will sound better (budget around 500GBP) or do I accept that the sytem is as good as it is going to get? I could get a new DAC now and a new amplifier later if necessary.

The Linn Classik is now 13 years old so I had toyed with the idea of a NAIM all in one but there is not one that really suits me needs/budget - a Uniti Lite without the CD would be perfect or a Qute with a larger amplifier. Also, the lack of NAIM Andoid control on NAIM puts me off as well as the fact that streaming has not yet a defined satnadrad.

As an electrical engineer , I cannot convince myself that the digital feed into a DAC makes much diference (feel free to prove me wrong) so I will keep the SB Touch has transport. If I got a new DAC, I also have a Raspberry Pi that I could use to stream into the new DAC (this is presently used to stream music into the home cinema system in a different room).

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

PS demoing equipment is difficult as I live in France where HiFi shops are few and far between so I will probably buy by mail order.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
only you can define what you would consider better, so in a way, it depends if you feel what you are listening to is lacking anything.

If you don't feel it's lacking then just spend the cash on music. If you do feel it's lacking, then if you can describe what you are trying to get, then the more knowledgeable persons will be able to help (that's not me btw ;) )

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Any differences between digital sources in particular are so small as to not be worth bothering with.

Investing the money allocated to a replacement DAC might reap better rewards if it were spent on speakers instead.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
Any differences between digital sources in particular are so small as to not be worth bothering with.

That's a very definitive statement and certainly not my experience,,,,though I would agree they can take up a smaller percentage of a system's total budget.

It also depends on how revealing the system is that you use them with.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I also run a Squeezebox Touch and a few months ago bought a Beresford Bushmaster DAC.

To my ears this was a good upgrade on the sound quality of the Squeezebox Touch's internal DAC (I am 46 and my ears still managed to tell the difference!)

The Beresford DAC is only available direct from the Beresford website but they offer a no quibble money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the DAC.

For me at around £185 the Bushmaster is a real bargain - sounding every bit as good as the much vaunted Audiolab and Rega DACs. The price will leave around £300 in your kitty for an amp ugrade should you wish to do this too.

As a bonus the Bushmaster has an excellent Headphone Amp which you can use with your Beyer Cans.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts