Squeezebox SBooster Power Upgrade

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thought might be worth a mention as is a product I found to be a real benefit for Squeezebox Touch and recently reviewed by Hi Fi Choice. http://markgrantcables.co.uk/mgc-data/hi-fi-choice-sbooster-review.pdf Ambrose

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm.

If it "reduces noise" from the standard PSU, why is it necessary to attach one to the linear PSU?

And once you've removed all the alleged noise from the PSU, what about the switch-mode PSUs within the Touch?

The only sensible discussion I've seen on the Touch's PSU suggests that it's only real shortcoming is in potentially injecting noise back into the mains which could in turn affect the amp. A good linear PSU would eliminate this if it was a problem but inserting further smoothing on the output seems pointless.

However, if it works for you...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
To be fair to MG there is a 30 day return option.

Which reminds me of a story of an old con, used before ultrasonic scans...

The con artist charges £10 to tell you the gender of your unborn child. Money back guarantee if wrong.

Total WOT imo.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
Crocodile said:

The con artist charges £10 to tell you the gender of your unborn child. Money back guarantee if wrong.

Total WOT imo.

Nothing like being open minded, have you tried it?

Like Crocodile says, you can send back. I found the filter itself worthwhile and is not exactly expensive £27.50.

The fact that a mainstream magazine can see benefits gives some credibility at least.

Why be so dismissive?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
fr0g said:
Crocodile said:

Total WOT imo.

Like Crocodile says, you can send back. I found the filter itself worthwhile and is not exactly expensive £27.50.

The fact that a mainstream magazine can see benefits gives some credibility at least.

Why be so dismissive?

Because if it worked, Logitech would have done it, and I agree with Crocodile's post. It's profiteering if you ask me. Some will hear no difference and send it back, most will convince themselves they do, and keep it.

If I turn out to be wrong then I'll apologise in advance :) (But I've seen too many of these so-called upgrades)...

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
Ambrose said:
fr0g said:
Crocodile said:

Total WOT imo.

Why be so dismissive?

Because if it worked, Logitech would have done it, and I agree with Crocodile's post. It's profiteering if you ask me. Some will hear no difference and send it back, most will convince themselves they do, and keep it.

If I turn out to be wrong then I'll apologise in advance :) (But I've seen too many of these so-called upgrades)...

Hi,

I know where you are coming from and agree caution with these things. People should decide to try or not themselves and you are offering a balanced view.

I dunno what the makeup of SBT users are, eg casual or convenience listeners compared to dedicated hifi enthusiats looking to get very best sound from a decent system so something like this may not benefit all.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Just resurrected this thread as I took a punt on one of these SBooster's from Mark Grant, only £27.50 and a 30 day return if not happy etc, so thought why not?

Anyways, the bottom line is that I tried it pretty extensively for a couple of weeks or so and could tell absolutely no difference whatsoever. I returned it and received a full refund no problem.

I've bought several cables off Mark Grant's over the years and they are a really good company to deal with.

It was just that in this instance there was no discernable gain to my ears. Might be my system, or more likely my dodgy ears.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Just resurrected this thread as I took a punt on one of these SBooster's from Mark Grant, only £27.50 and a 30 day return if not happy etc, so thought why not?

Anyways, the bottom line is that I tried it pretty extensively for a couple of weeks or so and could tell absolutely no difference whatsoever. I returned it and received a full refund no problem.

I've bought several cables off Mark Grant's over the years and they are a really good company to deal with.

It was just that in this instance there was no discernable gain to my ears. Might be my system, or more likely my dodgy ears.

More likely the most obvious answer. It makes no difference.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:

Hi Thanks for your feedback, and honesty.

I have been through quite a few changes in getting to system as it is now.

I might revisit and try without to see if I can hear difference still. Mainly noise lowered and blacker background meaning more detail coming through for me. Also easier to listen to for me.

I am happy with system now anycase so thats an achievement.

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts