Spotted Sony BDPS350 pre-order on amazon!

A

Anonymous

Clare,

My report just a week ago showed this as availablae for future purchase in September on Amazon.de at EUR 330.00. At the time, Amazon.co.uk was not carrying this model as available.

You know, EU regulations say that there is free movement of goods and lots of other goodies between EU nations. Amazon UK restricts sales to mainland UK. Is this legal? Perhaps, in your position, you could ask Amazon.co,uk to explain their position on this rather unusual stand? Think about it, if you would, and let us know what they say.

Looking forward to a clear and positive response.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Rheingold:
Clare,

My report just a week ago showed this as availablae for future purchase in September on Amazon.de at EUR 330.00. At the time, Amazon.co.uk was not carrying this model as available.

Cheaper in UK than in Europe? That's one in the eye for the 'Rip-off Britain!!!!' Daily Mail reader brigade...

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Rheingold:
Clare,

Cheaper in UK than in Europe? That's one in the eye for the 'Rip-off Britain!!!!' Daily Mail reader brigade...

I reckon you have got a bet on this "topic" kicking off again Andrew

A

Anonymous

Not being a nitpicker - well, not always - I hasten to remind you islanders that Britain is geographically part of Europe, so forget the Britain and Europe thing. Having said that, prices in mainland Europe have been showing a marked difference from those practised in Britain for some years. They have been lower by a considerable amount.

However - and this is the important point - people like Sony have caught on to the disadvantages for national markets of having huge price differentials. Take the example of the Sony BDP 350. While Amazon.de is taking pre-orders at EUR 330, or £270 at the current rate of exchange, it is almost always possible to find better prices than Amazon's. If you are looking for a bargain, there's an Austrian website that carries price comparisons from all over Europe, with a subsite for the German national market showing prices "delivered to Germany" from the whole of the EU.

If you want to take a look, here's the URL: http://geizhals.at/deutschland/

OK, it's in German, but quite simple. Just enter your product name in the box at the top left, then click on the product name with numbers of offers at the top of the next screen. This will show "base prices" from many international dealers. Payment options change the price you pay. Credit Card payment always adds to the price (with one or two exceptions, such as Amazon.de), so go to the online shop selling the goods at the price you want to pay, and they often will have an English language version to avoid confusion.

Hope this will help the more adventurous of you. By the way, EU consumer protection is the same as in the UK, so you have very little to risk.

Just try to use gthe system to YOUR advantage.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
How does it compare in picture & sound quality to the Panasonic DMP-BD30, they seem to have similar specs. but the Panasonic is a fair bit more, does it justify the extra?

I'm not worried about BD Live, nor ability for the player to decode HD audio, as long as it can send a bitstream of all HD audio including PCM via HDMI.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Sony is on a par with the Panasonic DMP-BD30 - which makes it better value. However, the Panasonic DMP-BD35 is just round the corner - we'll be pitting that against the Sony, plus the updated PS3, in a budget Blu-ray player Group Test in our next issue (out Sept 18th).

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
If you buy equipment in Europe and it develops a fault you can use the warranty in the UK as long as the same item is available in the UK. You would have to contact the manufacturer.

My Brother bought a HD-Camcorder from the USA in the UK which was a lot cheaper, it was marked as a gift and also got through customs with no charges. After a few weeks the camcorder developed a fault and Panasonic UK didn't want to know.

After a few phone calls and complaints they gave in and sent my Brother a brand new USA one by courier and collected the faulty one.

So it can also work from the USA as well but I wouldn't take the risk.

A

Anonymous

For anybody that would like to know I done a pre order through Stone Audio on the net, they expect a delivery 10/09/08. I got it for £199.00 .... bargin every place else seems to be more!

A

Anonymous

I got the BNDPS350, along with the the Sony KDL-40-V-4-000 for £699!!!

I'm convinced Comet made a mistake - the offer was dropped after a couple of days, and the TV is now £799 on its own!! It's not often I get lucky!!!!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

remixes:For anybody that would like to know I done a pre order through Stone Audio on the net, they expect a delivery 10/09/08. I got it for £199.00 .... bargin every place else seems to be more!

Thanks for that tip - just took a risk and pre ordered the Spny BDP 550 for £295 through them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts