What home cinema amp to buy?

jonwade

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Last night my old Harmon Kardon amp stopped working. I have: Project Debut 2 turntable (2001)Roksan Kandy KA-1 stereo amp (2001)Sony BDPS790 3D player (2013)Standard Plasma screen (2005ish) - Hitachi 42PD7200Harmon Kardon AVR 330 amp (broken - lights come on, no sound)Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder (2010) I had my blue-ray connected to the HK with the digital cable and the Freesat connected with L&R. I used the pre-out for front L&R speakers which went to the Roksan amp, so I could then use the Roksan amp direct for turntable - it has a phono stage thing. I am now using just the Roksan stereo for everything! I have 5 speakers (2 Jura floorstanders and centre at the front and something else at the back). I am just trying to decide where to go from here. Should I ditch the Roksan completely and get one new amp that does it all well? Or get an amp that has pre-out so I can continue to connect the turntable direct to the Roksan (there is an earth cable with the Pro-ject, guessing this will not have a home on many new amps!?). Or just get a phono stage amp (like the Project Phono Box MM Turntable Pre-Amplifier). I do not have a huge budget at all, so £500 tops. I like the idea of Bluetooth so I can stream music from my phone to the amp. Been looking at loads of options, inc. the new Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz, Sony, Yamaha ...... So confused. Maybe I should just go budget, something like the Yamaha RX-V377 with the Project Phono Box? Total cost of about £230. http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v377/review http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phono-Box-MM-Turntable-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B000YEK1AQ No network features, but I suppose I could get a bluetooth adapter if I want to stream from my phone? But worried I will regret it. Admittedly, I hardly seriously listen to music these days (I had a lovely Roksan CD player that went with the amp, but that packed up years ago). My music listening is mostly radio and the odd cd or record!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'd just look to replace your broken AV receiver and continue to use your Roksan Kandy for stereo duties. A cheap AVR won't get close to it.

It's just coming up to the time of year when many manufacturers are introducing this year's models, which means that in the next 3-4 months, the 2014 AV receivers will be reducing dramatically in price. With a budget of £500 I would ignore current £500 models, but instead look at £800 models that ought to reduce to that price.

A couple of examples to look out for. I can personally recommend the newer version of my own AVR, the Pioneer SC-2024: originally £800, now available in Richers for £499. It's a powerful machine that's very well specified...it should have all the gizmos you need and pre-outs for your Roksan. The Yamaha price equivalent is the Yamaha RX-A840, but it's still a bit pricey yet. Give it another few months and it should be around the £400-£500 mark.

So far, most AV receiver manufacturers have released their budget machines. The mid-range and high-end ones haven't been released yet, so some of their predecessors are holding onto higher prices. That will change though. It's one of the good things about buying AV receivers: you can pick up some real bargains as they get discounted more heavily than their price-equivalent stereo amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts