Spendor Customer Service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Agree with david, every six months should be plenty. Every six weeks is too much, even with a torque ratchet you could easily overstrip the threads on the hex bolts. Think the bolts are engineer threaded not self tapping and screw into a metal threaded cavity that is punched into the mdf enclosure. Wood screws screwed straight into mdf are fine if they are never touched, but constant tightening would eventually make them loose their grip.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:They recommended doing it every 6 weeks or so. The tool is a torque driver that uses the same heads you snap onto electric screwdrivers. Clicky Aren't you glad you went to Brighton though
emotion-2.gif

Ah, Igglebert, yes, I think that on balance the trip to Brighton was certainly worthwhile.
emotion-21.gif

So, I have to ask, based on the comments in this thread: should speakers need this kind of attention? Well, maybe it should be regarded as nothing more than the equivalent of a routine car service or checking the tyre pressure, oil levels, etc. Perhaps we do neglect the poor things and assume they will continue to perform without TLC other than a quick springclean of the terminals once in a while.

I will drop Spendor a line and see what they say. Maybe a sub £40 widget is what £600 speakers deserve to keep them cheerfully performing at their best?

A

Anonymous

Evening. I agree and was fairly comfortable spending 40 notes to get a tool that keeps my speakers and sub up to scratch. I can use it for future kit too, not to mention I'm sure I'll be lending it to a couple of friends too.

I suspect that every six weeks is a bit frequent and a nod to johnnyjazz that it might not be advisable. In reality I doubt I'll manage to do it any more than every three to four months!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Evening yourself. Yep, I've dropped Spendor a line and will see how they respond.

Every six weeks does seem a little excessive, and I would agree that unless I put a reminder on my Lotus Notes calendar, I would be highly unlikely to remember to do this on a regular basis anyway.

A

Anonymous

That's nice to know, though i have a pair of Spendor i bought oversea, but planning to ship them back to UK in few years time, i wonder if i would get a prompt service like you did, but that is of course IF my spendor need service.

Andy

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I received a nice email back from Spendor today. I was advised that an 'annual service' was about right, although there is no harm in doing it more frequently "if you feel the need" (begins to sound like the bulls and the heifers!
emotion-2.gif
) However, it was emphasised that over-tightening is "to be avoided at all costs". It was said that: "Over time, all loudspeaker drive unit fixings 'relax', so will need 'nipping up' - in practice, 1/4 turn with the appropriate tool is enough in most cases."

I cannot say I have checked my drivers after what must now be approx 10 months; I doubt I even have the right tools for the job, not being much of a DIY fiend. I hesitate to go out and buy torque thingummy and appropriate tool heads without further and clear instruction as to the precise method of application of said equipment to my prize speakers!

A

Anonymous

ESP2009, get a cheap allen key that fits the hex head bolts in the driver, loosen up the bolts one at a time then tighten them back by turning the allen key with just one finger, not finger and thumb, but one finger, usually index finger, the way you used to dial an old phone clockwise, tighten all the way untill your finger has no strength left to turn, thats the job done without over tightening.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
A few months ago I had to replace a driver on friends Spendors. It was still under guarantee and they gave a few options. (The fault was bad adhesive on surround) Take to a shop, send it to Spendor or let a friend with the skills to do it. I rang Spendor and after a VERY friendly chat with an engineer who even talked about torque settings a replacement was sent to a local shop, a few days later we exchanged the units and drove home. Fitting was succesful. He then even emailed my friend to see if all went well. This is service!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Great, in this day and age, to encounter such commitment to customer service. I think there are too few companies out there with the right attitude. Strangely, those who do have the right attitude tend to be small - possibly still close to their roots as hi-fi enthusiasts*.

Now, where is my extensive collection of assorted allen keys from IKEA?
emotion-1.gif

* Substitute any other interest as required.

A

Anonymous

The single-fingered tightening is kinda sensible but still apply both hands. If you're anything like me you'll end up flicking the allen key into the tweeter...(no, I haven't done that)...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:The single-fingered tightening is kinda sensible but still apply both hands. If you're anything like me you'll end up flicking the allen key into the tweeter...(no, I haven't done that)...

emotion-2.gif
Yep, that would be me, too!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
proffski:Does anybody sell gold plated oxygen free Allen Keys which have been burnt in?

Aw, don't start all that again! The last one has only just thundered back over the horizon.
emotion-60.gif

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't be surprised if Russ Andrews sold such a tool.

proffski:Does anybody sell gold plated oxygen free Allen Keys which have been burnt in?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts