ARCAM - GREAT Products but rubbish Customer Service!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have enjoyed and recommended Arcam products for sometime now. However, a recent exposure to their so-called customer service has left me totally disheartened and incredibly annoyed.

My ex-demo DV135 (still under warranty) recently started playing up so on 27/08 i emailed them to discuss repair under warranty. 10 days and no reply later, i sent another email asking after a response to my first. They did reply and apologise for the delay.
It was arranged that I would post the DVD player to them directly for repair. I posted said player via Royal Mail Special Delivery on 26/09 with ETA at Arcam being 28/09.

11/10: having not heard from Arcam (they also have my mobile phone number), I sent an email chasing up the repair job. Did I get a reply? Did I heck!

15/10: still having no contact or reply to my email I send another email. Again, no reply.

17:10: again no reply to any of my previous emails (which upto this point have been very polite and patiently worded) so this time i send a rather (but deservedly in my opinion) scathing email.

20/10: still no bloody reply!!!

I am at a complete loss as to why any company in this day and age cannot reply to the emails they receive within 48hrs - even if it was just to say something like "...sorry we are busy at the moment but we will deal with your enquiry as soon as possible..."

I do realise (in fact I even suggested in one of my emails) that maybe the player has been lost in the post - but again why hasnt someone at Arcam got back to me to tell me this?!?!

I am incredibly annoyed at the way Arcam are treating this matter - after all my DVD player is effectively missing and I want it back!

Does anyone think I am being unreasonable? Has anyone had any similar experience with Arcam?

A

Anonymous

I havent time to call them during the day as i am at work and study for college during my breaks. and nor should i need to make time - whats the point in having an email address for customer service if they dont bloody respond!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This doesn't sound like Arcam to me, as they're usually very helpful. In the past I have found that most repairs go through without problems but every now and again, you get one repair that literally everything that can go wrong, does.

It is possible that Arcam haven't received your e-mails - maybe they're being picked up by the spam filter? As for sending your repair back, if they haven't received it, how do they know you've sent it and that it is missing? So while I don't think you're being unreasonable, I do think that a little research might explain what's going on. I really do think that if they were getting your e-mails, they would've replied to at least one, even the worst company in th world could manage that!

If you sent it to them Special Delivery, I would firstly track it online? This will confirm that it has been signed for, where it might be in Royal Mail's system, or even if it has been lost. If it was undeliverable, you'd have received it back by now. After finding the results of this, I'd give them a call. If they have it, then there's no excuse why it shouldn't have been sorted by now - unless you failed to put in a covering letter of who you are and what the fault is (this is common). Your name and address will have been on the parcel, so if they'd have written to you, this may have got lost in the post, or delayed due to strikes.

There is a number of things that could've gone wrong here. I'd give them a call.

Good luck,

David

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think you should write to the CEO as suggested and refer them to this forum! I'm sure then something would be done pronto, although it shouldn't have been needed.

T

the record spot

While email is all well and good for tracking communication, a phone call is the way forward here, also as suggested, check the progress and delivery date of your package to Arcam. And I have to say that I don't wholly buy the "I don't have the time to make a call" line. You found the time to log on to this site, put up a new topic and write it, a phone call would or could have taken around the same time to do.

By all means have a rant, but once you've exhausted everything you reasonably could do to this point then you can have a real go. I'm not excusing Arcam at all, but as David from Frank Harvey's has said, there are other reasons why they may not have replied. Save yourself the stress and get in touch directly.

(Incidentally, I know how you feel - for a while I used to do exactly the same. Now I make a call and follow up the discussion with an email for a written record).

A

Anonymous

This doesnt sound like the same company I dealt with when my AVR 600 had a problem with the power supply connections. I had excellent sympathetic contact with Matt at Arcam and it took three weeks from taking it to the dealer and it arriving at my front door by courier. They said they did comprehensive testing after fixing the amp to make sure it didnt come back again for the same fault. I believe other manuafacturers can take a lot longer to deal with things like this ( info from my dealer ....er AV dealer not drugs dealer!!)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I agree - emails are not the best way to communicate on such an important matter - i would be picking up the phone and getting a name to work with.

mickeycomms

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I am on my way to collect my Arcam CD 36 - which has been away for four weeks with a faulty mother board ? (sounds major.) Sent back via a local Arcam dealer.

I have previously had to return a CD192 which turned out to be a minor fault.

On both occasions the communication from Arcam has been excellent - prompt replies and sound advice. They also rigourously test your kit prior to returning it. So whilst it can take a while, I think the wait is worth it for the job to be done right.

I have also been in touch by email on a few occasions for general advice re their kit and compatible / recommended accessories.

I can only say that at all times I have been treated as I would expect to be by Arcam. Sounds like your case could be the exception. . . .

emotion-1.gif

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I genuinely sympathise with your plight, but personally I've only had good experiences when dealing with Arcam.

I've emailed them a few times with various queries and they've always replied speedily with all the info I needed.
emotion-1.gif

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:I agree - emails are not the best way to communicate on such an important matter - i would be picking up the phone and getting a name to work with. Totally Agree and as Chebby has kindly given you the info you need,You should certainly find the time to contact them.Furthermore You should be using the Royal Mail Tracking Service to verify Delivery to Arcam and who the Signatory was.Personally I would not have let it go on for this long. Good Luck

A

Anonymous

still would like to know what the fault is? ... perhaps been 'mishandled' by the user? ...hence the delay?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Chebby & ElectroMan are correct.

IME, a polite-but-firm, non-indignant letter that sets out the facts & timescale, posted via Special Delivery to a company's CEO/MD is always the best way to get results & a prompt response, be it from Arcam, Comet (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!) or John Lewis.

My next 'target' is Apple: for Gawd's sake, if I buy a new iMac & pay extra for a bigger HDD, more RAM & a wireless mouse & keyboard, give us some warning that you're about to launch (in 7 weeks) an all-new version, with the equivalent extra RAM/HDD & wireless mouse/keyboard included in the new model's base spec/price!!!!!!!!!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i agree about apple! was in my local apple store two days ago looking at imacs, no mention of a new model. if i'd bought one and then got the email today, going ballistic doesn't begin to cover it.

A

Anonymous

first off, an update:
FINALLY received a reply today from them (so they obviously have been getting my emails). reply as follows:
"Sorry for the delayed response, yes we received the 135 from you and has been repaired and was sent back to you yesterday so you should get it today."
thats it! absolutely pathetic really - no explanation for the delay or lack of communication or even a hint of concern that they are interested in providing a quality customer service...

chebby: thanks for the info, will be writing to Charlie in due course
Frank: even if they hadn't received it they could send an email stating this - especially as its now apparent they did get the emails!
dim: much to your dismay the fault is not related to my misuse of the product - weak laser diode apparently
Joel: will do
recordspot: i am on the forum at night after college - ie. when nobody is at Arcam answering the phone
barry: nice to hear they test thoroughly but an email explaining this would be even better!
mickey: an exception i must be but i take exception to being treated like this!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:FrankIt's David
emotion-1.gif

even if they hadn't received it they could send an email stating this - especially as its now apparent they did get the emails! If they hadn't received it, how do they know you've sent it? As for the e-mails, if they've not been getting past the spam filter, something like this thread or somebody else bringing this thread to their attention may have inspired them to check their spam filter - how many times do you check yours? I know I very rarely do.....

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I don't get that many spam emails, but I do check the spam & junk mail folders regularly, as you never know what may end up in there!

As for Apple, they are notoriously tight-lipped on new product releases. And I don't think you can expect them to say 'don't buy this now, as you'll be able to get a new, better version for less in a few weeks' time'! (Or knowing Apple, even in a few days' time!)
emotion-1.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm a big Arcam fan, as many of you will know, but I have sent some enquiries to their customer services which have just vanished. In this day and age it's not good enough.

I imagine they will lose a sale or two because of this thread, counterproductive really.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
ElectroMan:
As for Apple ... I don't think you can expect them to say 'don't buy this now, as you'll be able to get a new, better version for less in a few weeks' time'!&nbsp

Why not? Since when has deceit been acceptable (I asked if a new model was due in the near future)?

If buying a car, I'd be advised re an imminent new model. When I recently upgraded my AV amp I was advised by the dealer to wait for the new model; similar story with my hi-fi speakers.

Perhaps Apple doesn't need customer goodwill or long-term loyalty?

Anyway, I'm after a refund, which is what Apple gave iPhone owners when they missed a price drop by a few weeks.

A

Anonymous

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:first off, an update:
FINALLY received a reply today from them (so they obviously have been getting my emails). reply as follows:
"Sorry for the delayed response, yes we received the 135 from you and has been repaired and was sent back to you yesterday so you should get it today."
thats it! absolutely pathetic really - no explanation for the delay or lack of communication or even a hint of concern that they are interested in providing a quality customer service...

chebby: thanks for the info, will be writing to Charlie in due course
Frank: even if they hadn't received it they could send an email stating this - especially as its now apparent they did get the emails!
dim: much to your dismay the fault is not related to my misuse of the product - weak laser diode apparently
Joel: will do
recordspot: i am on the forum at night after college - ie. when nobody is at Arcam answering the phone
barry: nice to hear they test thoroughly but an email explaining this would be even better!
mickey: an exception i must be but i take exception to being treated like this!

I too am a big Arcam fan and I have had many, many experiences with their customer services.... and I will say a few things about this:

1) It is not acceptable, they need to tighten up on the e-mail replies.... however...

2) the common theme here is the e-mail. Arcam respond fabulously to phone enquiries... they do not have great long recorded phone option menus... you ring a number press 2 and you are talking to trained engineers.

Whilst I accept that you 'should not have to' and that you 'are busy' bear in mind that writing numerous e-mails took more time and I am sure that to avoid the stress that you have endured you might of found the time (especially as you obviously and correctly think that your product and its repair is important).

3) Special Delivery provides you with a unique code that would of allowed you to track and ascertain whether it arrived, when and who signed for it, so I am not sure why you were worried about it being lost.

4) Arcam's limited respnose may be due to the fact that you have not complained yet and I would be interested in seeing how they handle your complaint and if that subsequent service satisfies you, that to me will be the litmus test.

I guess my point here is that I think that you have not been treated the best and I think that you have a right to complain, they should of responded to your e-mails... but I also think that there are steps that you could of taken that would of lessened the degree of the indignation that you feel.

As I said how Arcam respond to the core complaint is the proof of the pudding as it is often when things go wrong that Customer Services get to prove their worth.

A

Anonymous

fair point bloatedgut.
however, if i can respond to a few points you have raised in order to clarify...
tracking number - didnt know there was one until Joel mentioned it in this thread. after that i did try and track it but the RM website informed me the parcel was still being processed a month after being sent!
emails - my chosen form of communication because i can write them and send them at 10pm at night or six in the AM. also, in this day and age i just cant understand a modern company not taking this medium seriously...
complaint - the most recent of the emails i sent to them included a serious complaint about my treatment and their lack of customer service. they chose to ignore this email and instead only replied to the two previous emails.
i will be writing a letter to their CEO this weekend. i will update this thread as and when(or, god forbid, if) he replies...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts