Spendor Customer Service

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On Friday at 10:00 I emailed Spendor to enquire about getting a replacement screw (one of four) for a tweeter on my beloved SA1s. There was a mark on it that was bugging me. By 10:30 I had a reply that a complete set of new screws for all drive units was in the post, free of charge. Saturday post turns up, low and behold, a new set of screws. Stunning service. Spendor advised torquing the screws to certain values, tenths of Nm. Not only did they recommend me a tool from Amazon but once I'd bought it and torqued each screw the sound sharpened, focused and improved beyond expectation. So the lessons here are that i) Spendor offer stunning customer service, ii) you get what you pay for, iii) it's really, really important to a speaker's performance to ensure that each drive-unit screw is tight. Kudos to Spendor. Thank you very much.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It is worth sharing these sorts of stories as not many people actually get to, or need to, use the customer services of many companies. Your experience is in stark contrast to another manufacturer I could mention, which almost the total opposite of this. All I'm going to say is, they're not British
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

igglebert:On Friday at 10:00 I emailed Spendor to enquire about getting a replacement screw (one of four) for a tweeter on my beloved SA1s. There was a mark on it that was bugging me. By 10:30 I had a reply that a complete set of new screws for all drive units was in the post, free of charge. Saturday post turns up, low and behold, a new set of screws. Stunning service.

Spendor advised torquing the screws to certain values, tenths of Nm. Not only did they recommend me a tool from Amazon but once I'd bought it and torqued each screw the sound sharpened, focused and improved beyond expectation.

So the lessons here are that i) Spendor offer stunning customer service, ii) you get what you pay for, iii) it's really, really important to a speaker's performance to ensure that each drive-unit screw is tight.

Kudos to Spendor. Thank you very much.

Glad to hear you've had a good customer service experience with them Iggy, it's all too often not the case. (That's not specific to Spendor or Hi Fi retailers by the way).

A

Anonymous

FrankTheTank:
igglebert:On Friday at 10:00 I emailed Spendor to enquire about getting a replacement screw (one of four) for a tweeter on my beloved SA1s. There was a mark on it that was bugging me. By 10:30 I had a reply that a complete set of new screws for all drive units was in the post, free of charge. Saturday post turns up, low and behold, a new set of screws. Stunning service.

Spendor advised torquing the screws to certain values, tenths of Nm. Not only did they recommend me a tool from Amazon but once I'd bought it and torqued each screw the sound sharpened, focused and improved beyond expectation.

So the lessons here are that i) Spendor offer stunning customer service, ii) you get what you pay for, iii) it's really, really important to a speaker's performance to ensure that each drive-unit screw is tight.

Glad to hear you've had a good customer service experience with them Iggy, it's all too often not the case. (That's not specific to Spendor or Hi Fi retailers by the way).

I think that when you spend a lot of money, the "opportunity" to ensure full product servicability is a really big selling point and one that I've grown to appreciate. The fact that Spendor genuinely care about their customers is enough to make me want to buy from them again. Clich‚ I know, but some things really are that simple.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
That's nothing. Derek Gilligan would have come round and screwed them in for you...now that's Kudos.

I preferred doing it myself
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

igglebert:FrankTheTank:

I think that when you spend a lot of money, the "opportunity" to ensure full product servicability is a really big selling point and one that I've grown to appreciate. The fact that Spendor genuinely care about their customers is enough to make me want to buy from them again. Clich‚ I know, but some things really are that simple.

I agree, and it's the same reason that i pretty much return to the same dealer every time, great, reliable service. A good price helps too of course!

A

Anonymous

Since we are praising, Monitor Audio was extremely helpful to me when I purchased some second hand speakers, answering all kinds of questions and and furthermore when I bought the BR2's, I lost the gold clips, which they very kindly sent me within 2 days

T

the record spot

Similar good things to say of Mission who despatched a replacement screwbase on which the old 773 terminal could work onto. Broke it off by accident but had the replacement in the post within two or three days of the email going out.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Spendor advised torquing the screws to certain values, tenths of Nm. Not only did they recommend me a tool from Amazon but once I'd bought it and torqued each screw the sound sharpened, focused and improved beyond expectation.

I don't suppose the said tool from Amazon would be applicable to the S3e model you had me journey all the way to Brighton to get would it? And is the process something that should be done on a regular basis - a regular tuning as it were?

Good for Spendor anyway - always nice to hear of a company that values aftersales service highly.

A

Anonymous

They recommended doing it every 6 weeks or so. The tool is a torque driver that uses the same heads you snap onto electric screwdrivers.

Clicky

Aren't you glad you went to Brighton though
emotion-2.gif

newaudio

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
might as well throw my 2 cent in as well.... had trouble with my CA740C. woudnt pick up the disc. delt with Richer Sounds Belfast. went to the chap who runs the franchise in ireland. hes based in dublin and put all requests through him. the player came back from Cambridge in the UK with a new drawer belt and worked for 2 days! it nearly went through the window i can tell ya... straight on the phone and was given a choice of full refund, new replacement or a player of equal value which i could pick. a new CA 740C all shiny arrived 4 days later to Waterford. its very easy to deal properly with customers but why do so many places get it wrong so many times?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
igglebert:They recommended doing it every 6 weeks or so.

??

Suprised they can't screw them in properly in the first place.

I think they work loose over time with the vibration

A

Anonymous

They indeed do work loose with vibration.

Had thre same sort of thing happen with Partington stands. One of the nuts for the screws went missing when I moved, and when I spoke to them, they sent a new set over for me free of charge.

It is nice to hear spendor did this for you, as their speakers are very well praised.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:They recommended doing it every 6 weeks or so. The tool is a torque driver that uses the same heads you snap onto electric screwdrivers. ClickyAren't you glad you went to Brighton though
emotion-2.gif

That's one expensive screwdriver, Igg!

I like the idea, though, so I just bought:

THIS, 'cos i'm tight.

What was the setting Spendor recommended, Igg?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have just checked the manuals for a whole bunch of Spendor speakers and cannot find any mention of regular tightening on driver screws.

S3E for example (PDF file.)

If Spendor technical staff are recommending six-weekly tightening (to a specific torque), then why no mention on their website (under speaker care or questions) or in their instructions?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Everyone should tighten up their drivers every six months or so - it can make a surprising difference. Although I haven't monitored the findings in a controlled A/B/X demo
emotion-2.gif

Good advice,

I Think that this is common sense, due to central heating in modern living environments, materials especially woods can contract and thereby loosening the drivers, tweeters, clamping effect from the body of the speakers .................

A

Anonymous

Who knows, Chebby, perhaps you could ask them yourself. Try it and you may be surprised. I bet if you ask Naim for the torque values they'll supply you with those used when making the speakers.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Everyone should tighten up their drivers every six months or so - it can make a surprising difference. Although I haven't monitored the findings in a controlled A/B/X demo
emotion-2.gif

Just checked mine and some were surprisingly loose especially on the sub where some of the allen bolts needed a half turn,I think I started a thread on this a good while ago but obviously didn`t follow my own advice!

A

Anonymous

bretty:
igglebert:They recommended doing it every 6 weeks or so. The tool is a torque driver that uses the same heads you snap onto electric screwdrivers. ClickyAren't you glad you went to Brighton though
emotion-2.gif

That's one expensive screwdriver, Igg!

I like the idea, though, so I just bought:

THIS, 'cos i'm tight.

What was the setting Spendor recommended, Igg?

I couldn't find anything cheaper that let's you set tenths of a Nm. Hey, nobody says this is a necessity but makes a difference!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
igglebert:On Friday at 10:00 I emailed Spendor to enquire about getting a replacement screw (one of four) for a tweeter on my beloved SA1s. There was a mark on it that was bugging me. By 10:30 I had a reply that a complete set of new screws for all drive units was in the post, free of charge. Saturday post turns up, low and behold, a new set of screws. Stunning service. Spendor advised torquing the screws to certain values, tenths of Nm. Not only did they recommend me a tool from Amazon but once I'd bought it and torqued each screw the sound sharpened, focused and improved beyond expectation. So the lessons here are that i) Spendor offer stunning customer service, ii) you get what you pay for, iii) it's really, really important to a speaker's performance to ensure that each drive-unit screw is tight. Kudos to Spendor. Thank you very much.

As a Spendor customer it does fill me with a certain amount of optimism when it comes to customer service, When we buy expensive items like these you hope that if anything does go wrong that it will get sorted out quickly and efficiently. Recently my Uniti had to go back to Naim due to firmware problem, within 2 weeks from being shipped off, it was fixed, spent four days on the test bench and returned to me, no dramas (just no music!). I like to think most companies are end user driven in, what is, a highly competitive market where good stories like this will earn them years of customer loyalty. I am sure everyone has got at least one bad story leading to one manufacturer they would not touch again with a barge pole.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So could this explain why the demo Spendor S3/5Rs I auditioned a few months ago sounded so (unexpectedly) dull and 'soft' on the end of a Nait 5i/CD5i? (That takes some doing!)

Maybe the shop staff had not been torquing them up every six weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts