Spend my £1000 (cdp and amp)

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello folks,

Ive only gone and sold my system. Frustrations mounted and i had to part ways, it will soon give pleasure to some other.

So now im left with an old pair of B&W DM601 speakers and my Musical Fidelity B200 amp. What should i do ? Pump it all into a new amplifier and cd player (and save to get better speakers) ? or speakers and cd player ? or just a bloomin' good cd player ? Some of you may know my sound preferences - warm, rich and smooth. My musical tastes - pop, indie, rock and classical.

I think Arcam and Audio Analogue have that sound im after, but what do you folks think ? To get some synergy id consider an all one brand seperates system. Im still keen on valves but slightly scared of fires.

Spend my £1000 !

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
sthomas048:
Hello folks,

Ive only gone and sold my system. Frustrations mounted and i had to part ways, it will soon give pleasure to some other.

So now im left with an old pair of B&W DM601 speakers and my Musical Fidelity B200 amp. What should i do ? Pump it all into a new amplifier and cd player (and save to get better speakers) ? or speakers and cd player ? or just a bloomin' good cd player ? Some of you may know my sound preferences - warm, rich and smooth. My musical tastes - pop, indie, rock and classical.

I think Arcam and Audio Analogue have that sound im after, but what do you folks think ? To get some synergy id consider an all one brand seperates system. Im still keen on valves but slightly scared of fires.

Spend my £1000 !

If you like Arcam, definitely go for the Arcam 192 as it's great value for money. If you plan to get better speakers, I would spend the money on the electronics first. 192 could be got for around £300. I would then look at something like the Creek Evo amp at that price range - nice synergy with Arcam. This will leave you some extra for cables and the speaker budget.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you're after Arcam, you should be able to find my set-up on-line for less than £1000.

I paid £320 inc. delivery for my CD192 (Gumtree)

£285 ( I collected) for my A85 (eBay).

And £199 (plus £15 P&P) for my P85 (eBay).

Sounds excellent. I've listened to more CDs these past few weeks than I have for ages (And it's not like I was slacking beforehand!).

This leaves almost £200 for some decent cabling or towards some replacement speakers. A85s are quite a common site on eBay, CD192s a little rarer, and P85s are the rarest of all.

You may get responses saying Arcam & rock music don't mix, but I'm a metal-head and I can't find any problems at all.

A

Anonymous

i know where theres a mint cd192 going but i dontt want to get into trouble for selling

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
I have had some luck regarding Arcam CD192 for sale (2nd hand), but not entirely sure its in top condition. The A85 is there on ebay X3. The P85 also. Definately ones to consider. Anyone else with some non-Arcam ideas ? I like the look of the Eastern Electric Minimax, but its rarer than . . a very rare thing.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
A quick internet search shows that while the B200 may be old it is still highly regarded. If it were my money I would spend £800ish on new CD player and £200ish on interconnects, then save for new speakers. it would be interesting to try the new Musical Fidelity M3 CDP with your amp

T

the record spot

I'd be investigating the active speakers route ahead of anything else

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Kevin Stephens:A quick internet search shows that while the B200 may be old it is still highly regarded. If it were my money I would spend £800ish on new CD player and £200ish on interconnects, then save for new speakers. it would be interesting to try the new Musical Fidelity M3 CDP with your amp

Hello Kevin,

I do like my B200, its not a bad amp. Class a/b. Im doing a little research on cd players tonight, so far im quite keen on the Arcam cd192, Eastern Electric Minimax and AA primo. Yes its not a bad idea you have, my interconnects are russ andrews crystal cu so im quite happy with them, but i definately need new speaker cable.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
the record spot:I'd be investigating the active speakers route ahead of anything else

I have no idea what active speakers are or what advantages they have over normal speakers !
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

they have built in amplification , you dont need an amp , just a source , cd player , laptop , tuner etc ..

daveh75

maxflinn:they have built in amplification , you dont need an amp , just a source , cd player , laptop , tuner etc ..
Depends on the actives in question...Some, like my Dyns only have power amplification so require a means of volume control, i.e a pre-amp, CDP with variable outs/volume control etc.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
True Blue - Yes indeed two very fine items !

I think it would be more sensible if i went for a complete system instead of splashing out on a £1000 cdp. Im considering Marantz CD/PM6003 or NAD C326bee/C545bee too. The XTZ amp/cd for £850 is a cracking deal also.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Have heard both in isolation and they are very good.

Never heard the two together but Torres09 has that system and maybe would be able to give his opinion

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
True Blue:

CD 63se KI Sig + PM66 Ki Sig (marantz)

about £400 for the pair leaves you plenty for speakers / cables

An excellent recommendation - will push systems several times the price very hard in terms of music quality.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts