Speakers to match with a Hegel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I hope you don't mind me chiming in here but if I'm hi-jacking this thread just tell me and I'll start another.

I have the Hegel 160 on order and due to arrive this week. I'm looking for speakers for it but dnt have the budget for ones already discussed here. If anyone can suggest speakers in the £2,000 - ish range I'd be happy to hear

My room is smallish and I would need to place speakers around 10-12" from the wall.

I did hear the ProAcs lacked bass but I'm not sure how reliable this comment is. Are they fussy for placement?

Other contenders for audition include PMC GB1i, Neat Momentum SX1, and maybe Focal Aria 926.

Anyway, if you can help please do, or if I am hi-jacking the thread tell me and I will start another

Thanks
regular_smile.gif

SteveR750

Barnaby said:
Hi. I hope you don't mind me chiming in here but if I'm hi-jacking this thread just tell me and I'll start another.

I have the Hegel 160 on order and due to arrive this week. I'm looking for speakers for it but dnt have the budget for ones already discussed here. If anyone can suggest speakers in the £2,000 - ish range I'd be happy to hear

My room is smallish and I would need to place speakers around 10-12" from the wall.

I did hear the ProAcs lacked bass but I'm not sure how reliable this comment is. Are they fussy for placement?

Other contenders for audition include PMC GB1i, Neat Momentum SX1, and maybe Focal Aria 926.

Anyway, if you can help please do, or if I am hi-jacking the thread tell me and I will start another

?

Thanks 

Feel free to join in, I'd be interested in your opinion of the H160.
The D18s work very well with it, they are good enough to show up the improved electronics. I've not found them to be lacking in bass in my old listening room, the new place has some odd acoustics going on, plus I think the hegel can drive much more expensive speakers. Where the combination works well is in the upper mid and treble, I've not heard anything quite so incisive but not at all harsh or piercing. Smooth, but not dull.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
The ATC's bass might be a bit lacking for the size of your room.

Frequency Response (-6dB): 48Hz-22kHz

Looks like you've never heard ATC's and you don't know what you're saying...

I recommend ATC ( new ones/ curved) to anyone.. in small or big space.. just choose the right size one.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Thnak for the info re the D18s. They will be on my list. I'm looking forward to hearing the Hegel as a replacement for my Supernait which is great with rock, not so good ( IMHO ) with some others. I will be sure to let you know how I get on. Unfortunately, my dealer wasn't able to let me hear it but has given me a 14 day return window so not too much risk. Your comments on it are most encouraging.

Hi Rick, I currently have Neat Mystique 2 speakers and using a mac mini as source. Cabling is up for grabs but using NACA5 as previously a Naim owner.

I listen to lots of different kinds of music. A lot of classical, rock, blues and jazz. I thought of going with standmounters maybe the ATC SCM 19s , the wife is keen, but I'm worried I'd lose bass.

SteveR750

Barnaby said:
Thnak for the info re the D18s. They will be on my list. I'm looking forward to hearing the Hegel as a replacement for my Supernait which is great with rock, not so good ( IMHO ) with some others. I will be sure to let you know how I get on. Unfortunately, my dealer wasn't able to let me hear it but has given me a 14 day return window so not too much risk. Your comments on it are most encouraging.

Hi Rick, I currently have Neat Mystique 2 speakers and using a mac mini as source. Cabling is up for grabs but using NACA5 as previously a Naim owner.

I listen to lots of different kinds of music. A lot of classical, rock, blues and jazz. I thought of going with standmounters maybe the ATC SCM 19s , the wife is keen, but I'm worried I'd lose bass.

Well, I might have a pair of immaculate D18s on a well known auction site soon perhaps.

I was intrigued by a pair of allegedly new sealed in the box pair of SCM40s on ebay, seller has got a pretty poor feedback score (IMO anything less than 100% is not good), so I asked him if he could give me the serial number to verify them with ATC. His response was:

"We dont do serial numbers. Some unscrupulous Ebayers use the info to dupe buyers.

BestRgds."

There's a reason why he's got them up for £600 under RRP (and a pair of Super HL5+ at a similarly big discount). Caveat Emptor, personally I'd keep well away.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm still waiting for delivery. Dealer was due to receive the amp yesterday and contact me for arranging delivery but nothing yet.
sad_smile.gif
I'm getting impatient! Glad to hear such positive things about it. If you do decide to sell your D18s I'd be interested in hearing them with a view to buying if possible.

Anywyay will try to be patient re the amp.

SteveR750

Barnaby said:
I'm still waiting for delivery. Dealer was due to receive the amp yesterday and contact me for arranging delivery but nothing yet. I'm getting impatient! Glad to hear such positive things about it. If you do decide to sell your D18s I'd be interested in hearing them with a view to buying if possible.

Anywyay will try to be patient re the amp.

Indeed, and you're welcome to listen to them either here, or at yours, assuming you live within a reasonable distance from south wales....

Let me know when it arrives and you get it. I've yet to figure out how to use the network capability, as I've not even investigated this as an option before - its the only critiscism I have, in that there is no Bluetooth streaming capability.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Steve. I really hope it sounds the way I want and if it does I can forgive the lack of Bluetooth. How do you find the bass on it with your ProAcs? My current set up gives a reasonable weighty sound but on a lot of stuff it is a bit harsh sounding. I'm looking to keep a bit of weight but with a sweeter high end.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Jota180 said:

I recommend ATC ( new ones/ curved) to anyone.. in small or big space.. just choose the right size one.

Wrong on both counts.

Hi Barnaby

Thanks for your reply.

In all honesty I think that you should hear the system first. Hopefully all will be well but if something is amiss then please get back and let us know what you feel is not right and then I/we can try and point you in a more suitable direction.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

SteveR750

Barnaby said:
Thanks Steve. I really hope it sounds the way I want and if it does I can forgive the lack of Bluetooth. How do you find the bass on it with your ProAcs? My current set up gives a reasonable weighty sound but on a lot of stuff it is a bit harsh sounding. I'm looking to keep a bit of weight but with a sweeter high end.

Much better control than the M2, it's clearer and sounds more extended. It's so much better across the whole frequency range.

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Barnaby said:

Much better control than the M2, it's clearer and sounds more extended. It's so much better across the whole frequency range.

I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on this now :)

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
lpv said:
Jota180 said:

Wrong on both counts.

So, what's your impression of them? How does a naturally rolled off bass compare to an artifically boosted bass (ported) compare? I suspect the latter in-my-room response looks like a row of camels, there are definitely some inconsistencies that I might not be able to completely remove.

SteveR750

Listened to a pair of ProAc D30R this morning, very nice indeed. Whilst it retains the same balance of smoothness with drive, it's a much more resolved peaker than the D18. The ribbon tweeter is really rather good, and like the D18 is so well integrated with the bass mid. It's more incisive and detailed, whilst at the other end the carbon fibre bass/mid driver is a lot more extended, bass you can now start to feel a little, rather than just hear.

I've not gone as far as a home demo yet, as I'm expecting to listen to the ATCs at home soon, and they will either be an epiphany moment sonically, in which case I have discovered a flavour I have hitherto been oblivious too, or my fears are founded and I cannot live with them. Logically, if they are borderline, then it makes sense to go exploring somewhere in between those extremes.

rainsoothe

Just to add stuff to what the others recommended. You should audition stuff from Martin Logan Motion series as well, they sound brilliant if you ask me - much richer then ProAc imo, and more bass. I'm running the Motion 40, which have both smaller and bigger floorstander bretheren. Oh, and Sonus Faber in case they slipped by.

SteveR750

rainsoothe said:
Just to add stuff to what the others recommended. You should audition stuff from Martin Logan Motion series as well, they sound brilliant if you ask me - much richer then ProAc imo, and more bass. I'm running the Motion 40, which have both smaller and bigger floorstander bretheren. Oh, and Sonus Faber in case they slipped by.

TBH, the ProAc sound is as warm as I'd want to go. Anything more would be too much for me.

Sonus on the list of potentials.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts