Speakers for Cyrus Gear

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
gregvet:

I was very impressed when I heard Leema Xero's being driven by Cryus 8XPd (just to give an other option to the OP).

They are available for £399 currently.

emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankTheTank:
d_a_n1979:FrankTheTank:Am i wasting my time looking into replacement speakers when really i'd be best looking for a 2nd hand PSX-R for the amp for example? Like i say i think the Rega's are a great speaker and everything else about them i love.

I dont think it's a bad idea; at least if you bought one via eBay and it didnt make the improvement youre after you can always sell it back on.

I do agree that a change of speaker cable and/or interconnects may mnake some good differences as well

I think speaker cable along the lines of QED Revalation or the Chord Oddessey would be worth looking at as would possibly the Black Rhodium Prelude interconnects or the likes of Van den Hull 'The Wave' etc... OR, what about Cyrus' own cables?

Yeah i hope so Dan, cheers for all the feedback. To be honest it's probably more a case of tweaking rather than wholesale changes. what i did find interesting is that after i took the amp of my tacima, the sound is now less bright/harsh by quite a noticeable amount. I have seen the previous posts regarding these "strangling" the dynamics of amps and can safely say that in my experience with my amp, that i would agree. I noticed an old post by Bretty that said he used some Van Damme Blue and this sorted some brightness out on his older Cyrus system. This may well be worth a go as it's about £1.40 p/m on eBay. does anyone else have any experience of this cable?

Cheers

I used the Van damme blue with my gear for a while but I noticed a definite improvement when I moved to the merlin cable. I don't think it is any more likely to tame the brightness unless it was compared with a silver cable for example.

A

Anonymous

Brisk:FrankTheTank:
d_a_n1979:FrankTheTank:Am i wasting my time looking into replacement speakers when really i'd be best looking for a 2nd hand PSX-R for the amp for example? Like i say i think the Rega's are a great speaker and everything else about them i love.

I dont think it's a bad idea; at least if you bought one via eBay and it didnt make the improvement youre after you can always sell it back on.

I do agree that a change of speaker cable and/or interconnects may mnake some good differences as well

I think speaker cable along the lines of QED Revalation or the Chord Oddessey would be worth looking at as would possibly the Black Rhodium Prelude interconnects or the likes of Van den Hull 'The Wave' etc... OR, what about Cyrus' own cables?

Yeah i hope so Dan, cheers for all the feedback. To be honest it's probably more a case of tweaking rather than wholesale changes. what i did find interesting is that after i took the amp of my tacima, the sound is now less bright/harsh by quite a noticeable amount. I have seen the previous posts regarding these "strangling" the dynamics of amps and can safely say that in my experience with my amp, that i would agree. I noticed an old post by Bretty that said he used some Van Damme Blue and this sorted some brightness out on his older Cyrus system. This may well be worth a go as it's about £1.40 p/m on eBay. does anyone else have any experience of this cable?

Cheers

I used the Van damme blue with my gear for a while but I noticed a definite improvement when I moved to the merlin cable. I don't think it is any more likely to tame the brightness unless it was compared with a silver cable for example.

To be honest, i don't think i'm gonna be able to change the nature of the sound too much just by changing interconnects and cables. I was doing a fair bit of listening last night with the copper cable again and switching between the CD8x and DAC Magic. To be fair since i removed the DAC Magic off the Tacima also, it didn't seem as bright. The CD8x is not as bright as the Dac Magic either. I have found that a couple of the Pearl Jam albums i have been listening too and testing with seem bright by their nature, i.e a lot of cymbals etc. Tried a few more albums and had no issue at all. I would still like the sound not too be quite as bright but i think i'm just gonna trial a PSX-R at some point to see if it makes a big difference. I may well also trial some more speakers just to be sure. Cheers for all the help guys.

A

Anonymous

save some cash get the atc sc11s ( i got mine for £699)you wont regret it

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
FrankTheTank:Brisk:FrankTheTank:

I dont think it's a bad idea; at least if you bought one via eBay and it didnt make the improvement youre after you can always sell it back on. I do agree that a change of speaker cable and/or interconnects may mnake some good differences as well I think speaker cable along the lines of QED Revalation or the Chord Oddessey would be worth looking at as would possibly the Black Rhodium Prelude interconnects or the likes of Van den Hull 'The Wave' etc... OR, what about Cyrus' own cables?

Cheers

It's the Regas. But after spending a fortune on cables and the like you'll eventually get to it.

To be honest, i don't think i'm gonna be able to change the nature of the sound too much just by changing interconnects and cables. I was doing a fair bit of listening last night with the copper cable again and switching between the CD8x and DAC Magic. To be fair since i removed the DAC Magic off the Tacima also, it didn't seem as bright. The CD8x is not as bright as the Dac Magic either. I have found that a couple of the Pearl Jam albums i have been listening too and testing with seem bright by their nature, i.e a lot of cymbals etc. Tried a few more albums and had no issue at all. I would still like the sound not too be quite as bright but i think i'm just gonna trial a PSX-R at some point to see if it makes a big difference. I may well also trial some more speakers just to be sure. Cheers for all the help guys.

A

Anonymous

If your speakers will bi-wire, and therefore bi-amp, look at adding a used 8-Power or X-Power as an alternative to adding a PSX-R. Bi-amping may give the extra bass oomph I think you're missing (from my experience with Cyrus gear over the last couple of years). Bit more kudos than a jazzed up transformer and a couple of big capacitors in a fancy case (yes, I do own FIVE PSX-Rs so who am I to talk I know).

Speaker-wise I'm using ProAC Studio 140s with great results, but I guess they may be beyond your budget right now, but you might pick up a bargain on one of the web auction sites, you never know.

Also, I still wouldn't discount auction-site Mission 753 speakers either. Very long in the tooth, admittedly, but absollutely superb cabinets (yeah, I know, like buying a car because you like the colour) and they may "de-brighten" the Cyrus kit at the same time as giving more "oomph". If you tried a pair and didn't like them you could always flog them on.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Just be wary that the normal 753's can no longer be serviced as Mission don't have any parts. I believe only the 753 Freedoms can now be serviced.

Serious question - what is the difference between the two. All the Mission / Cyrus divorce, etc. happened while I was stateside and buying "stereos" not "hifi" at Bestbuy
emotion-10.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A few of the 753 owners here might be able to give you more insight, but I believe they used slightly different drivers, hence the reason the older 753's can't be serviced any more. I would assume the crossover is a little different because of this.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again guys for the further recommendations. Well it's a bit interesting now because i have been doing some extended listening with my CD8x, same albums as before, RATM, Pearl Jam etc and there is no real brightness/harshness there at the top end. I suppose i should have done more testing before but when i go back to the DAC Magic, it returns. I know CA gear can be a tad bright/forward and it appears that this is the case. I think i have only really noticed more recently because i have been listening to certain albums, but it does seem that the DAC Magic is the culprit. Shame really as i have only had it since January. Has anybody else found the DAC Magic to be a tad bright?

A

Anonymous

Darren Heal:
If your speakers will bi-wire, and therefore bi-amp, look at adding a used 8-Power or X-Power as an alternative to adding a PSX-R. Bi-amping may give the extra bass oomph I think you're missing (from my experience with Cyrus gear over the last couple of years). Bit more kudos than a jazzed up transformer and a couple of big capacitors in a fancy case (yes, I do own FIVE PSX-Rs so who am I to talk I know).

Speaker-wise I'm using ProAC Studio 140s with great results, but I guess they may be beyond your budget right now, but you might pick up a bargain on one of the web auction sites, you never know.

Also, I still wouldn't discount auction-site Mission 753 speakers either. Very long in the tooth, admittedly, but absollutely superb cabinets (yeah, I know, like buying a car because you like the colour) and they may "de-brighten" the Cyrus kit at the same time as giving more "oomph". If you tried a pair and didn't like them you could always flog them on.

Cheers Darren, unfortunately they are not Bi-wireable. I was speaking to a local dealer today who reckons in his experience i would probably have to spend closer to the £1000 on speakers to get something noticeably better. Having listened to my CD8x for a while and compared it, i'm even more reluctant to replace the Rega's too. I feel a bit of a fool now for jumping to conclusions regarding speakers etc. Shame coz i use the DAC a lot, got used to not getting up to swap CD's a lot now and just leaving the PS3 on shuffle.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
FrankTheTank:Thanks again guys for the further recommendations. Well it's a bit interesting now because i have been doing some extended listening with my CD8x, same albums as before, RATM, Pearl Jam etc and there is no real brightness/harshness there at the top end. I suppose i should have done more testing before but when i go back to the DAC Magic, it returns. I know CA gear can be a tad bright/forward and it appears that this is the case. I think i have only really noticed more recently because i have been listening to certain albums, but it does seem that the DAC Magic is the culprit. Shame really as i have only had it since January. Has anybody else found the DAC Magic to be a tad bright?

Well, if only every problem had a solution so simple ... . I only had a Dacmagic for a few days and no, I don't regard it or some of the better CA products as either bright or harsh. Extended high frequencies and projecting right to the speaker plane perhaps. They (including the 840C) probably don't have the refinement of much more expensive products but thats to be expected. I actually think they are rather good for the money. Whether I'd use a Dacmagic with a CD8x I'm not sure, seems not a great upgrade simply because of the price discrepancy but I have'nt used the two together so can't comment.

I'm surprised it took you four months to figure it out though.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
FrankTheTank:Thanks again guys for the further recommendations. Well it's a bit interesting now because i have been doing some extended listening with my CD8x, same albums as before, RATM, Pearl Jam etc and there is no real brightness/harshness there at the top end. I suppose i should have done more testing before but when i go back to the DAC Magic, it returns. I know CA gear can be a tad bright/forward and it appears that this is the case. I think i have only really noticed more recently because i have been listening to certain albums, but it does seem that the DAC Magic is the culprit. Shame really as i have only had it since January. Has anybody else found the DAC Magic to be a tad bright?

Well, if only every problem had a solution so simple ... . I only had a Dacmagic for a few days and no, I don't regard it or some of the better CA products as either bright or harsh. Extended high frequencies and projecting right to the speaker plane perhaps. They (including the 840C) probably don't have the refinement of much more expensive products but thats to be expected. I actually think they are rather good for the money. Whether I'd use a Dacmagic with a CD8x I'm not sure, seems not a great upgrade simply because of the price discrepancy but I have'nt used the two together so can't comment.

Sorry, i should have clarified before. I don't use a DAC with the CD8x i use it's own DAC and it's superb. I only use the CA for my ATRAC files on the PS3. I use this for convenience mainly.

I'm surprised it took you four months to figure it out though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmmh, there's nothing like a bit of info upfront eh?

Still, surprised about both your amp being less 'harsh' when not connected through a tacima, I've never experienced that before with all the stuff I had here, the opposite if anything and to an extend with your speakers, which I'd firmly place in the upfront and forward department.

Still, seems like you're happy now.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Mmmh, there's nothing like a bit of info upfront eh?

Still, surprised about both your amp being less 'harsh' when not connected through a tacima, I've never experienced that before with all the stuff I had here, the opposite if anything and to an extend with your speakers, which I'd firmly place in the upfront and forward department.

Still, seems like you're happy now.

Anyway, just an update as i have been listening for the last few hours
and i think i have found an issue. The reason this has taken a while to
reveal it'self is because i only hear the brightness when i play my
lossless WAV's from the PS3 through to the Dacmagic. Just been testing
with the ATRAC files which are not completely lossless (not going to go into that now, it's a Sony
thing) and it sounds great, no complaints. I have only recently been
listening to everything as lossless WAV's. It was when i did that the
"issue" started to become apparant. I'm not sure why, other than maybe
in the conversion/compression process some of the treble may be lost,
compared to the WAV files. I can't really hear a difference in quality
between the ATRAC which is at 352kbps compared to the lossless WAV which
is 1411kbps, other than a lack of the brightness. Strange!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts