speaker switch to switch between 2 amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
looking for a switch the will allow my to use some speakers from my 5.1 setup on a different amp for
audio without too much messing about

this guy has made his own but im not that skilled and this has no sub line on his but it shows what im after in more detail than i can explain

http://www.amplifier.cd/Technische_Berichte/Lautsprecher_Umschalter/speaker_switch.htm

A

Anonymous

my av amp does have pre-outs i think, its a cambridge audio 540r v3

when you use the preout don't you need both amps on to get surround sound ?

the amp i want to use for music is a cambridge audio a5

John Duncan

Yes, you need to have both switched on for AV, only the stereo amp for music. If you want to do it, take the front L/R preouts from the receiver to any aux in on the amp. Set the volume of the A5 to half, and do the receiver calibration routine. Then make sure your volume is always at half on the A5 when you're using AV, set the input to whichever aux in you chose, and control the overall volume from the receiver.

That being said, I'd have thought the performance of those two amps for music would be quite similar, and would make do with just the receiver.......

A

Anonymous

to be honest what i wanted to do was have the a5 amp next to my pc and use it to drive the rear speakers from the av setup

for pc sound when im not using the av

but it does seem like alot of messing about cos i dont seem to be ablr to just buy a switch for this

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that should work fine - just do as JD explained above, but with a the twin preout cables from the receiver's surround left and right rear channel preouts to the amp driving the rears/computer speakers

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:What are the rears?

i have MS 902i rears mate.

Andrew im trying not to use the preouts mate cos i don't like the idea of having 2 amps running to watch movies

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
lee786:Andrew im trying not to use the preouts mate cos i don't like the idea of having 2 amps running to watch movies

Then short of switching over speaker cables or buying a dedicated 'two amps into one set of speakers' box such as the Niles DPS-1 - which you'd probably have to buy from the States, at about $90 or so -, you're fairly banjaxed, I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

hi, just reading this thread as i have the same dilema. i have a denon avr3802 and a roksan kandy, can i link these 2 together without risking life and limb( more importantly blowing up my roksan!) an idiots guide through would be fine, thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts