Can't hear that Burson Playmate 2 much better than NAD D3020

anche

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
Hello experts !

I own a NAD D3020 (not V2), and I use it as a headphone amp.
Headphones: Bowers & Wilkins wired P7 (22 ohms, 10Hz to 20kHz, sensitivity 111dB/V at 1kHz).
Source: Qobuz on iPhone via a USB cable (no bluetooth ********).

A week ago I got Burson Playmate 2 (can still send it back if I am not happy) with the expectation of much better sound. Or much different sound. Something I would definitely appreciate and would be happy to pay 600€ for.

When I compare the two
- I have approximately the same volume on both amps.
- I play 24/192 Qobuz tracks (jazz and classical music)
- I switch between the amps in the middle of the track

To my surprise I really can't hear much difference. Maybe the sound is SLIGHTLY different between the two, but no revolution is happening when I switch from Nad to Burson.

Is Burson Playmate 2 even supposed to be that better? It definitely costs more but can do much less than my old Nad D3020.

There is no spec for the Nad's dac in the Nad's manual. Even if there were Nad's dac spec available, and the spec would be worse that the one on Bursons'.. I sort of think they both sound good, and that's it.

Could it be that I need a much more expensive headphones, or different type of headphones (e. g. open back instead of closed back)?

I'd appreciate any advice, opinion, or similar experience. I previously got great help choosing an integrated amp in this forum!

Best regards,
Anatoly

Hello experts !

I own a NAD D3020 (not V2), and I use it as a headphone amp.
Headphones: Bowers & Wilkins wired P7 (22 ohms, 10Hz to 20kHz, sensitivity 111dB/V at 1kHz).
Source: Qobuz on iPhone via a USB cable (no bluetooth ********).

A week ago I got Burson Playmate 2 (can still send it back if I am not happy) with the expectation of much better sound. Or much different sound. Something I would definitely appreciate and would be happy to pay 600€ for.

When I compare the two
- I have approximately the same volume on both amps.
- I play 24/192 Qobuz tracks (jazz and classical music)
- I switch between the amps in the middle of the track

To my surprise I really can't hear much difference. Maybe the sound is SLIGHTLY different between the two, but no revolution is happening when I switch from Nad to Burson.

Is Burson Playmate 2 even supposed to be that better? It definitely costs more but can do much less than my old Nad D3020.

There is no spec for the Nad's dac in the Nad's manual. Even if there were Nad's dac spec available, and the spec would be worse that the one on Bursons'.. I sort of think they both sound good, and that's it.

Could it be that I need a much more expensive headphones, or different type of headphones (e. g. open back instead of closed back)?

I'd appreciate any advice, opinion, or similar experience. I previously got great help choosing an integrated amp in this forum!

Best regards,
Anatoly
you have to go audition for yourself, price will never be everything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts