Speaker Stand and Hifi Rack Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right, I'm re arranging my room and as such I'm purchasing some new Hifi furniture. I'm going to get a set of speaker stands and a neater rack for my components. I currently have a big TV stand that they sit on but I'm getting rid of that because it's too wide. Now, I only have a budget system so don't want to spend too much. This is what I'd been looking at so far.

Speaker Stands:

Atacama Nexus 6 or 6i

These because I want 60cm and they seem like decent value. Now, the only difference as far as I can tell between the 6 and 6i is that the i ones come with "gel isolation pade". Am I right in assuming these are the bits that will sit on top of the plates which the speakers stand on? If so, would I be just as well saving myself £10 or so, getting the regular Nexus 6 stands and sticking a bit of blu tak on there?

Also, I see they sell spike shoes. I'm sure I've read that people on here use coins instead of these. The shoes seem quite expensive for what they are. I just wouldn't want it slipping off.

Hifi Rack:

Now, I've been scouring eBay for something second hand here and I've missed out on a couple of Soundstyle and Atacama Equinox stands that have gone for anything between £30 and £100. I'd be happy getting one of those second hand but it's just a case of finding one within a reasonable distance and actually winning the auction. The only vaguely decent thing I've seen new for the kind of money I'm willing to spend is a Jual JF005 stand, which I've seen for £70.

http://www.standanddeliver.com/acatalog/Jual_JF005-BB.html

No idea if it's any good. Considering my budget system would that be ok though? I may just get that rather than hoping eBay turns something decent up, or would it really be worth waiting for something to come along second hand?

Any advice, suggestions, alternative products I should be looking at etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'd agree with using blu tack instead of paying for gel pads. i also have coins under the spikes, works a treat.

using an atacama rack myself and can vouch for the improvement in sound quality, compared to the tv cabinet stand i was using before.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought as much with the blu take/gel pads thing. That saves me £10 then.

I'll see if I can pick up a second hand Atacama or similar rack then if they're worth it, otherwise I'll probably have to go for that Jual thing.

A

Anonymous

was in the same predicament as you ....

ended up getting a soundstyle 5 shelf stand for £70 (fair price as they cost approx £300 new) ...

and a pair of partington dreadnaught speaker stands for £30 (included was the rubber floor pads that the spikes rest on ...and stands are 3/4 filled with stuff they use to make it heavier ... BIG bargain!) ....

you have to be patient on ebay ... the bargains will come so don't rush.... had to drive a distance to collect, but was worth the money and wait

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

was in the same predicament as you ....

ended up getting a soundstyle 5 shelf stand for £70 (fair price as they cost approx £300 new) ...

and a pair of partington dreadnaught speaker stands for £30 (included was the rubber floor pads that the spikes rest on ...and stands are 3/4 filled with stuff they use to make it heavier ... BIG bargain!) ....

you have to be patient on ebay ... the bargains will come so don't rush.... had to drive a distance to collect, but was worth the money and wait

I bet it was similar to a stand I missed out on recently, and it went for £30 too! Only in Leicester which isn't too far away. I had a pizza in the oven though and just bottled it and missed the end of the auction. How did you go about transporting it, just pack the glass shelves seperately?

Good bargain on the stands too. Had some Nexus 6 in my isghts in Sheffield where I live but was outbit at the very last minute, they went for about £32. Damn. Sounds like going down the eBay route is worth it though.

A

Anonymous

glass shelves are removeable ... bottom pointy feet also screw off ... wrapped the glass in bubble wrap and packed carefully on the back seat ... and all sorted ....

speaker stands were easy ... just removed the spikes and was sorted

A

Anonymous

Had some Nexus 6 in my isghts in Sheffield where I live but was outbit at the very last minute, they went for about £32. Damn

when you bid on ebay, trick is to open 2 windows on your internet .... place a proxy bid (the most that you are prepared to pay for the item irrespective of the current price, even if it is tanding on £1.99) but dont hit the confirm button yet!....

then before hiting the confirm bid button, open the other window wihich has the item displaying the price and time left .... watch the time tick down, and when there is 18 seconds left, open the other window showing the confirm bid button... take a deep breath and then confirm ....

thats the way I do it and works for me most times

A

Anonymous

Thanks alot for the advice, both product and eBay based!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts