Question Are your Harbeth mini monitors a bit lacking?

I see Harbeth have just released a subwoofer / stand for its small monitors.
Surely at that price a pair of decent stands and a single quality subwoofer might be a better financial option.
Opinions?
I can only speak of the fortnight of demoing a pair P3s, and given the size of the cabinets and they are infinite baffle, bass definition should be ample for most, unless you live in a barn. If you preach at the temple of bass, look at larger speakers.

But I've waxed lyrical enough over my experience of Harbeths

Reactions: Al ears
I can only speak of the fortnight of demoing a pair P3s, and given the size of the cabinets and they are infinite baffle, bass definition should be ample for most, unless you live in a barn. If you preach at the temple of bass, look at larger speakers.

But I've waxed lyrical enough over my experience of Harbeths
I'd agree with the quality of the speakers themselves, and more bass equals bigger speakers, which might be affordable if you are considering £3500 for these subwoofer stands.
I applaud the concept but not necessarily the price.....

I'd agree with the quality of the speakers themselves, and more bass equals bigger speakers, which might be affordable if you are considering £3500 for these subwoofer stands.
I applaud the concept but not necessarily the price.....
It was the price of new P3s that choked me off buying a pair. When you compared the £2600 Harbeths (last time I looked) to the Dali Rubis, there's no real comparison. Because the size of mid/bass driver and the ported cabinets and the price difference, the little Rubicons leave them behind. I don't need a sub of any description.

I'd rather have a pair C7 than a pair of P3s with a sub.

podknocker

Do they now allow you to screw the speakers to the stands / plinths? £3300 for the sub thingy and the same or more for the speakers? They have a long way to fall if you knock one. Any low frequencies travelling up this stand will inevitably reach the speaker, so you might as well have that AND secure it onto the stand. No brainer really. I've caught my QA speakers many times, whilst cleaning and I'm so glad they are screwed to the stands. The argument for not using screws and relying on blu tac doesn't convince me at all. I also agree they are too pricey, but that's the Harbeth premium again. 'We could make more and sell them cheaper, but because there's a waiting list, we'll charge what we like.' The Harbeth C7ES-3 XD looks like an ideal speaker to me, with the new injection moulded cone and a matching screw in stand would be great, but it won't happen. I wonder if they will release different size top plates for their larger models?

Last edited:
Do they now allow you to screw the speakers to the stands / plinths?

£3300 for the sub thingy and the same or more for the speakers?

They have a long way to fall if you knock one.

Any low frequencies travelling up this stand will inevitably reach the speaker, so you might as well have that AND secure it onto the stand.

No brainer really.

I've caught my QA speakers many times, whilst cleaning and I'm so glad they are screwed to the stands.

The argument for not using screws and relying on blu tac doesn't convince me at all.

I also agree they are too pricey, but that's the Harbeth premium again.

'We could make more and sell them cheaper, but because there's a waiting list, we'll charge what we like.'
Yep, it's a buyers market and who wouldn't get whatever they can for them?
It's the buyers that ultimately determine the value of anything.
Whilst I love the concept would I buy a subwoofer built into a stand that limits placement?..... No.

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

Yep, it's a buyers market and who wouldn't get whatever they can for them?
It's the buyers that ultimately determine the value of anything.
Whilst I love the concept would I buy a subwoofer built into a stand that limits placement?..... No.
I'm still wondering if Harbeth will ever release a floor stander, to avoid this restrictive new stand. An RTL / isobaric design can't be too wild for Alan to consider.

podknocker

I heard a Wilson Benesch Torus many moons ago and was well impressed. We need something like this on the market again and not generic coffee table sized subs. I can't think of anything worse than having a huge cabinet somewhere on the floor. It's clutter to me really and I know there are bass heads here, but bringing large boxes and drivers into the equation often leads to acoustic 'anomalies'. This Harbeth thing is a neater design, but probably compromised, due to its location, as mentioned above. The rear plate suggests you can adjust the bass level, but not the cut off point, so not really useful, if you're trying to seamlessly integrate the sub with the speaker and listening room.

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
its a neat solution for sure but very expensive for a pair subwoofers that a 300 quid Bk gemini could reproduce easily and probably outperform. Paired with a of partington super dreadnoughts/broadside I think would look would look nicer as well.

but as I say a nice neat solution that doesn't take up any more room.

but just my opinion.

podknocker

its a neat solution for sure but very expensive for a pair subwoofers that a 300 quid Bk gemini could reproduce easily and probably outperform. Paired with a of partington super dreadnoughts/broadside I think would look would look nicer as well.

but as I say a nice neat solution that doesn't take up any more room.

but just my opinion.
I can't see many Harbeth owners buying these and the pillar texture and finish look awful.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I can't see many Harbeth owners buying these and the pillar texture and finish look awful.
really, each to there own I prefer the look over the chrome bumper custom design or the something solid stands which I might add are also beed blasted and look scaffolding.

But then I used to like the industrial finish of the Atacama se24's.

may im a bit out of touch as I dont need or want to buy stands.

really, each to there own I prefer the look over the chrome bumper custom design or the something solid stands which I might add are also beed blasted and look scaffolding.

But then I used to like the industrial finish of the Atacama se24's.

may im a bit out of touch as I dont need or want to buy stands.
I got rid of my Atacamas as not industrial enough, got Partington Super Dreadnoughts instead..... :)

Reactions: twinkletoes

WayneKerr

I'm gonna rush-out and buy a pair :)

In all honesty my P3's have delivered in spades and I've never heard a better speaker in my lounge, period. They suit the room so well I'm loathed to introduce anything which could be a retrograde step. Don't want or need a sub, mine deliver just the right amount of bass for my taste.

I use blu-tac on mine even though it's not recommended :eek:

Last edited:
You don't really have to look at them with grilles on so what's the problem?
You buy speakers that simply look great?? :)
I must admit I prefer to be able to check/tighten speaker fasteners. I’ve got various Allen keys and Torx screwdrivers now for just that. The sealed-in look is smooth and trendy, but I’d prefer to know for myself!

However, with Harbeths - notoriously tricky to de-grille - I might be more wary.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I must admit I prefer to be able to check/tighten speaker fasteners. I’ve got various Allen keys and Torx screwdrivers now for just that. The sealed-in look is smooth and trendy, but I’d prefer to know for myself!

However, with Harbeths - notoriously tricky to de-grille - I might be more wary.
You want to try Dali Rubicons its like the lugs are placed so you will damage the drive units putting them back on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts