Speaker placement

Davey_bill

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm currently looking to buy an new amp, speakers and turntable. At the moment the actual models aren't my main concern it's speaker placement. I have a very clumsy 3 year old so I'm worried to put speakers on stands as no doubt they will be knocked over . I have also recently decorated so I don't really want to start drilling holes into walls to mount brackets. I do have a sideboard they can be placed on though; would this be adivisable if the turntable was on another surface? I've been reading about isolation pads, would these be of any use instead of placing the speakers directly onto the wooden top?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I use Auralex Mopads for my centre speaker which sits ontop my TV cabinet. They do help, but aren't as good as dedicated weighted speaker stands. Because much of the centre channel is dialogue on a typical movie, the bass isn't too much anyway. And I think it would be bass that could be your biggest problem siting a speaker ontop a cabinet.

Floorstanders aren't always 3-year old proof either though. Some (including my old Monitor Audio Radius floorstanders), could easily be toppled over by a child. And from a practical point of view, I'd avoid anything with a piano finish. It's just asking for it really.

Personally if I were in your situation, my priority would be keeping both speakers AND wires well away from child's arms' length. All children have an inbuilt danger-magnet that identifies the most dangerous and potentially expensive areas of the room within nanoseconds and compels them to travel towards it at speed. It's a known fact, apparently.

If I were locating speakers ontop a cabinet, I'd avoid anything too bassy that might react badly. Obviously you haven't talked about specific models or budget, but Neat Iotas not only sound fantastic, look good and tend to be "significant-other-friendly", they're also easy to put ontop a cabinet, aren't too bassy (but have a super midrange to counteract this) and can even be discreetly wall-mounted too.

I appreciate your comments about decorating, but sonically and child-wise, wall-mounted Neat Iotas would be my own preference.

Davey_bill

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid the neats are out of my budget. I have around £800-900, so it wil entry level stuff I'm getting. I do have two technics 1210s from djing that I could substitute the turntable with for a while but ideally in the long run I'd like to get a stand alone deck.

I've amased quite a lot of vinyl over the years so I thought it's about time to spend a bit of money on something good to listen to it on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts