Speaker level setup on DV7001

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My DV7001 is connected to a STRDA1200ES and I want to adjust the speaker level settings to improve my multichannel sound. I am able to adjust speaker distances in the menu but the speaker level option is always greyed out no matter whether I have a DVD, SACD or CD in the machine. I have the sound set to 5.1 channel which I believe should enable this option. What am I doing wrong?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Presumably you only have the DV7001 connected using a digital link? If so, then the speaker level set-up on the Marantz will have no effect - it only applies to the multichannel analogue outputs, AFAIK.

Best to do the speaker set-up in the Sony, not the player, anyway...

A

Anonymous

I am connected via digital and multichannel analogue. I wanted to improve the focus of the sound in SACD by copying the settings of the amp. I may be wrong but the sound is brighter and clearer when connected with multichannel but lacks the focus of the amp.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, but if you apply the same settings to the analogue output of the player that you have on the receiver, then the speakers will be set for twice as much relative volume adjustment, and twice as much distance adjustment.

A

Anonymous

According to the Sony manual autocalibration settings are not utilised when Multi In is selected therefore I assumed that multichannel analogue from the player to amp was not balanced. Nonetheless can you explain why the speaker level is greyed out on the player menu?

Sorry I'm a pain in the ***. While you're at it can you explain why the amp will not show an onscreen menu display?

I'm connected via HDMI to AV5 on a KDL46W2000.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah right. Points taken on the Multi In thing. Not sure why you're not getting Sony on-screen menus if you're following the instructions on p83 of the manual - anyone else have an idea?

Can't find anything in the DV7001 manual to explain why the menus are greyed out, but will keep looking and report back.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just had another think, and it might be trying to output multichannel audio via HDMI if the HDMI audio out is set to Auto. Try setting this to 'off' (p41, I think...)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts