Speaker help please

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I'm having trouble finding a set of speakers I like. I have a Rotel BX-930 amplifier which is 20 years old. I've been looking at focal 705s speakers, MOnitor Audio bronze 2, KEFQ300 and a few others, but I think I like these 3. However, the focals sound slightly dull and miss detail on some tracks which I have listened to for years, the MA seem to be more "in your face" and upfront which I prefer, the KEF's had a nice tone but were quite deep for my taste. I like and want speakers with a nice tone and detail but not bass which is overpowering or make them sound dull, so I suppose I prefer "bright" speakers which portray rhythmn and percussion type detail but not hollow and lacking in depth either. Maybe the rotels aren't the best for my taste and these speakers would sound better with a brighter amplifier. Either way, I am prepared to buy a new amp and speakers, so long as I like them the cost isn't that important without spending silly money.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
So you will have not too much problem, because the majority of the now available speakers tend to have a cut of the bass in the 50hz region.

It's very difficult to find a "bright" amplifier if you stay at the standard transistor amps. The majority of the market is neutral and goes flat from 20hz to 30khz.

I believe that a look at Piega speakers could be a positive thing for you. I don't know if you find such speakers on your home market, but I recommand those kind of speaker to persons that want a clear sound with air but without harshness and not too atomic basses. They offer absolute great depth and portrays very well a 3D sound. And lots of my friends love the WAF compatibility too.

A Piega on some Audia/Hegel/Densen/(insert name of good quality electronic builder there) is a damn good combo.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of amps & sources for a moment, Cambridge Audio amps tend to convey rhythm, timing, detail & percussion in an exciting way, so they might be a good starting point for the sound you're looking for.

As for speakers, as always, do give thought to what your room can handle. Smallish standmounters might be more suited to the sound you're after but it depends on how much space you've got to fill. Also bear in mind how much free space around your speakers you (& significant others) are willing to permit. Factor that into your decision as it might rule out or limit rear-ported designs for example.

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
They will be in the bay window in a standard living room, on stands, the room is about 14x11 feet. They will not be close to.the windows or walls, but I can place them nearer if necessary. I listen to rockand pop music fromthe 60s, 70s and 80s. I hate too.much bass in "pop" music as I think.it ruins the spark when listening to it. Walls are standard decor as is the carpeted floor.

ne5 said:
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and I'm having trouble finding a set of speakers I like. I have a Rotel BX-930 amplifier which is 20 years old. I've been looking at focal 705s speakers, MOnitor Audio bronze 2, KEFQ300 and a few others, but I think I like these 3. However, the focals sound slightly dull and miss detail on some tracks which I have listened to for years, the MA seem to be more "in your face" and upfront which I prefer, the KEF's had a nice tone but were quite deep for my taste. I like and want speakers with a nice tone and detail but not bass which is overpowering or make them sound dull, so I suppose I prefer "bright" speakers which portray rhythmn and percussion type detail but not hollow and lacking in depth either. Maybe the rotels aren't the best for my taste and these speakers would sound better with a brighter amplifier. Either way, I am prepared to buy a new amp and speakers, so long as I like them the cost isn't that important without spending silly money.

B&W are traditionally good with Rotel amplification, as both companies share the same factory/facilities on the S. coast.

Alternatively, check out Neat Motive 3 (older model), or even ATC SCM7s.

philandsue

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Your 'too much bass' problem sounds similar to my predicament. I tried Kef 100 and Kef Q100 and Kef Q300. of the 3 I prefer the Q100 which is really crisp and detailed, with a surprising amount of Bass, but not boomy. I also tried Kef LS50 and was unimpressed.

Recently I've switched to a Music Fidelity M3Si amp driving Focal Aria 905 speakers. The balance of tightness, detail, warmth, sparkle and bass is spot on.

I swapped the amp first and noticed how it tightened up the bass considerably. I think because it is more powerful than my old set up. If you experiencing dullness then it might be the amp that's at fault .... Though I don't know of you amp so forgive me if its top notch already.

Of the MF amp, it was not a brand I'd considered before, but the shop guy threw it into the mix with a couple of other more common brands ( Arcam, Cambridge Audio etc ) in the £500-£1000 bracket and it stood out, for a reason I couldn't quite put my finger on....but unusually for me I decided on it without hesitation.

Good luck whatever you decide.

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I listened to Tannoy Mercury v1 speakers, they lack sparkle and are quite dull in my view. I have bought the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers which I like. I'll keep them for a while now and see how they go, I suppose after being happy with my last 2 systems for over 30 years I'm now in danger of catching "the bug".....

TRENDING THREADS