Speaker Decision?

AWeakling

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi All, New to he Forums here at What Hi-Fi and wanted to jump straight in with a decision on some speakers and wondering if I could call on your experience and knowledge?

I am currently looking at an upgrade and downsize to my speakers I currently have some Technics SB-CS70's love them but a bit bulky for the room.

I have previously done some buying and selling on Ebay so I have had and trialled:

Boston Acoustics A23's (really liked these but weren't quite loud enough but I liked the detail)

Yamaha NS-B700's (Despite What Hi-Fi's review I thought these speakers were phenominal lacked on the Bass but overall amazing, got them at a bargain so had to sell for a profit),

Mordaunt Short MS-10's (like them but not quite there),

Definitive Tech ProCinema ProMonitor 80 speakers (Amazing speakers used as rear surrounds but replaced with my current Yamaha NS10MM's (The micro version of the legendary NS10M's)

Tannoy FX 5.1 system (really liked this but effectively got the free so had to sell for profit)

Wharfedale Diamond 9's (I loved the old Wharfedales I had and rated them highly but I found these flat, uninteresting and very confusd/muddled sound, probably one of the worst speakers I heard, believe it or not!!!)

A few others not worth a mention.

I am a firm believer in higher frequency speakers based on the fact all speakers I have really appreciated a difference in sound and definition have all gone above 20Khz and although people say the human ear cant hear above that frequency from my experience the higher frequency has made a considerable difference to the detail so want to keep to speakers above 20khz.

Bass I'm not too fussed on as I have a seperate Sub. I am running a Yamaha NS-C120 as my Centre speaker all of a Denon AVR-1612

So I was looking at a budget around £85 but will stretch to £100 looking at:

Boston Acoustics A25's

Acoustic Energy Compact One's (AE43)

TIBO Monitor 300's (Not much out there on these but like the design, weight, frequency range and wattage)

What would you guys recommend out of these? Are there any others you would suggest? And if anyone has or has heard th TIBO 300's I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Thank you for your help.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Generally, most good budget speakers start from between £200-£300 these days. Its true there are times when there are discounted sales to about £150. For example, I bought my Boston Acoustics A26 for this price and they are great. I would seriously think of doubling your budget here if you want an upgrade otherwise stick with what you like in the Technics. The other popular alternative would be to go down the second hand route.

New for you, I would consider Monitor Audio BX2, Tannoy DC4, Dali Zensor range, Q Acoustics 2020i etc

Seond hand there would be many more choices for £100.

Good luck.

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to try some 'new' speakers and just bought a pair of Wharfedale 8.1's. I'm interested in what you say about the your experience - I take it you mean the series 9 and not the 9.1?

Personally I think the 8.1's I have sound great. I've been advised that the 9.1 might sound a little 'brighter' but I personally like warmer sounding equipment.

For your budget I'd definatly look to buy s/h. You'll get a lot more for your money. I was also looking at B&W 601's but I've not heard them as yet, I'm just going on various reviews/comments which suggest they'd be another speaker suited to my taste.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
For this kind of budget, your best bet is going to be second hand. I recently bagged a pair of KEF Reference 103/4's for £200 on an auction site. The trouble then is finding a suitable 'upstream' to get the best out of them. Look for your usual suspects, Monitor Audio, Tannoy, Q Acoustics, KEF, DALI. I even saw a pair of old Linn Helix go for about £25 the other day.

AWeakling

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi all thank you for all your comments. I'm certainly not averse to looking at 2nd hand and have been keeping my eye on Monitor Audios and Dali's. From the sounds of it more buying and selling is needed to boost my budget a bit more. Also worth mentioning I also had some Q Acoustics 1010i's they were relatively well balanced but just felt they lacked lustre to the treble however I was comparing them to the Yamaha NS-B700's at the time. @mightyquin It was the Diamond 9.0 and not the 9.1's I haven't heard any of the other diamond range, I believe the 9.1s are a lot bigger so probably improve on the 9's overall and being front ported probably helps produce some bass as well. IMHO I would completely ignore the 9.0 they really aren't worth bothering with in my opinion. I found the sound had very minimal definition across it's range, bass was non-existent, and overall sounded very flat. TBH I was shocked when I heard them, after reviews and comments I read I thought they were going to be my ultimate speaker and that I could stop there when I bought them as I really expected them to be balanced and precise, but no, far from it. It's probably for that reason as well as the addition by Wharfedale to the series they can now be had for £40.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Boston Acoustics A25's for £79 new in Richer Sounds are amazing value for a very good little speaker with an rrp of £200 (5 star reviews on here too). Monitor Audio BX2's are amazing for the money and a good second - hand buy the clarity matched with punch is very sweet indeed.

Cambridge Audio s30's shouldn't be ruled out either.

AWeakling

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm afraid I don't know, if you Google SB-CS70 the and hit images the speaker comes up, it's triple speaker with a front port. I would post a link but can't seem to paste one in!!!

AWeakling

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Knaithrover, I am starting to lean towards the A25's unfortunately that deal at Richer Sounds is at the Plymouth branch which I am too far away from by a few hundred miles otherwise I'd snap them up. I have been watching for BX2's on eBay they've been going beyond my current budget but agreed that may be an ideal choice. I had forgotten all about the S30's I think they too provide a very viable option, thanks for the suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts