Speaker choice and receiver choice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I have started out in the world of HiFi and home theatering. So i guess this is the best place for me to seek advice.

To start out, i would like the system to be install in a room 3.5m*3m. Speakers would have to wall mounted.(Floor standing speakers are out for the time being)

I have went shopping around and narrowed down to 2 speakers, the B&W 686 and the Whaferdale Diamond 9.1. The shop keepers are telling me that the B&W are way to much for my room and suggested the Whaferdale instead. I am hoping that you guys, the experts could probably give a second opinion to that.

The Onkyo TX-NR905 and Yamaha RX-V3800 has definitely caught my eye. I haven got the chance to play any of these yet. But i do like the idea of having a network capable receiver around considering the ability to tap onto my music collection in my pc. I also like that bi-amp wiring options that they both offer.

I do not have a budget set at the moment and would set it probably after knowing what i want first.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks a million and happy holidays!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Wharfedales would be fine for your room, as would the Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 system, but I really wouldn't spend as much as TX-NR905 money for a receiver to use with them, as the speakers won't deliver all the receiver can do.

You can get the biamping you require from models lower down the Onkyo range - the £400 TX-SR605 would be fine with those speakers - and you could add the network audio capability you're after with the Logitech Squeezebox, which will cost you under £200, or a number of other network audio devices.

And the Yamaha? Search me, haven't heard it!

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the great advice.

Besides Onkyo, are there any other receivers that could be added into my hunt?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts