Speaker Cables - Do they have to be equal lengths ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Due to the unusual layout of my room and hence my hifi kit, I have a 3m length of speaker cable running to one speaker and a 5m length going to the other. Will this adversely affect performance and if so, in what way ? Cheers Steve

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stewartc"]Due to the unusual layout of my room and hence my hifi kit, I have a 3m length of speaker cable running to one speaker and a 5m length going to the other.

Will this adversely affect performance and if so, in what way ?

Cheers
Steve[/quote]

Depends on the equipment. If its a GBP 300 system I wouldn't worry about it day and night. But if I spent over GBP 500 then I would change the cable on shorter length to match it the other one.

Difference is in the resistance/capacitance etc. To keep it simple, the dynamics on the speaker with longer cable will not be as good as one shorter one, regardless of your noticing it. For a basic setup it doesn't matter. But a purist will replace the shorter cable before having the next meal.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
No offence ranjeetrain, but whether the diference is noticeable is exactly the point - im all about noticeable diferences. theres no point spending money on something that isnt noticeable :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]But a purist will replace the shorter cable before having the next meal.
[/quote]

That's mean purist are silly fool then! I have a shorter cables but because they are cheaper to buy and no other reason.

A

Anonymous

I like many do not have the brain cells to understand all the technicalities concerning what is right or wrong with many of the scientific facts about hi-fi. It doesn't help when you read articles or threads by extremely clever scientific minded people who will have completely opposing opinions on the same subject and back up thier remonstrations with scientific fact to prove it. I still sit there wondering who is right, what should I do?

For people like me (and I suspect many others) there are also other constraints to worry about such as money, where your system is set up and whether or not it can be moved and of the course the classic, if you don't live alone your partner and what they do or do not want.

I am just about to embark on getting some new speaker cable myself. At present I have two equal 8 metre lengths of a very old non descript bi-wire cable thrown in as a frreebee when I bought my original system and the manufacturer of whom I have long since forgotten, but because of where I have to have my set up (I really have no other option) and the fact it has to be run under the floor, one speaker is literally 1.5 metres away from the amp and the other about 6.
Why all the cable? Because I read many articles at the time written by far far more intelligent and informed people than myself that speaker cables should always be the same length. So as you can see I have coils of the stuff for one speaker laying under the floor, which didn't seem a waste at the time as (A) it was free and (B) the sound was not compromised (so I was lead to believe).

Now however, things have changed. My set up has been upgraded to much more expensive kit which deserves better cable to get the best out of it. But I cannot change where my hi-fi is situated I still have the odd length dilemma. I wanted to still keep with bi-wring my speakers as I have always done (again because we are always told this is the better option for best sound) but with the sort of cable I have been looking at and the lengths I require to keep them the same length it will cost me an arm and a leg and I can only really afford to lose an arm, up to about the elbow.

For you guys whose system is set up with the speakers neatly either side of the equipment rack about a metre from the amp and cables just lying behind on the carpet, then chopping and changing and experimenting is easy to do, both physically and financially.

I have to find a compromise and with me it's to bi-wire or not to bi-wire and to keep the same length for each speaker or not whilst still getting the best sound I can.

What would you do?

A

Anonymous

I recently bought a new system (cd / amp / speakers) at Sevenoaks and needed 3m and 6m speaker cables. I asked about buying cables of the same length and they said it did not matter at these lengths.

I took this to be informed and good advice.

I paid £18 per metre for the cable, they could have easily said I needed equal lengths to sell me more cable but they didnt.

My system sounds fine by the way.

A

Anonymous

Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase

Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase Ph

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase

Phase Phase Phase Phase Phase Ph

[/quote]

Out of interest how does phase come into this?

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I found myself in exactly the same dilemma; one speaker 1.5m away from the amp and the other 4.5m away. I did have two identical 6m lengths of Nordost Flatline Bi-Wire cable, but wanted to try out Chord Odyssey - as all my interconnects are Chord (Anthem, Chorus, Chameleon Silver Plus). I also live in Cyprus and this makes getting hold of the stuff more difficult. As the upgrade was more of an experiment, I thought I would try and get the Odyssey from eBay (second hand, but already run in). After a number of occasions of missing out, I managed to get two 6m lengths of Chord Odyssey 2. From which I cut the cables to give two 4.5m lengths and two 1.5m lengths - thus the correct lengths and allowing bi-wiring. I found the upgrade in cable was great and I can find no differences in phase between the two speakers (though obviously I haven't tried it with two equal lengths of the same cable). I am happy with the sound (system details below, if it helps).

Cheers, Justin.

System: Inca Design Kanata cd player (Chord Anthem); Arcam A80 / P90 (Chord Chorus); Pro-Ject 6.1 / Ortofon MC15 (Chord Chameleon Silver Plus) turntable; Monitor Audio S8 speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="ranjeetrain"]But a purist will replace the shorter cable before having the next meal.
[/quote]

That's mean purist are silly fool then! I have a shorter cables but because they are cheaper to buy and no other reason.[/quote]

Someone who runs different lengths of cable cannot be called a purist.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]No offence ranjeetrain, but whether the diference is noticeable is exactly the point - im all about noticeable diferences. theres no point spending money on something that isnt noticeable :)[/quote]

Depends on the level of sophistication one wants to attain.

Most people cannot hear sounds above 18K frequencies. Science says human audible range is 20-20000 Hz. Means people cannot hear sounds below or above those frequencies. But 100s of manufacturers manufacture wide frequency range equipments. SACD has a wide frequency response. And there are plenty of manufacturers who build loudspeakers that go well beyond 30000 Hz. Are those useless? Is that pure marketing?

No that isn't. Those products offer something someone values. Ultimately, it depends on the person. If you are not so fussy about your sound GBP 500 system will rock your world. But at the same time thousands of people spend over a 1000 pounds on each component. That doesn't mean one lot is smarter than the other. It just means the two lots have different taste in music and need different levels of sophistication.

A

Anonymous

I'm not a techie but I guess that the max frequency range that a speaker can operate to will have somewhat of an effect on the frequency response of the ranges just below/above this. So, you may not be able to hear the higher frequencies but the frequencies just below this will sound better/different/worse because of this extended response.

In every case, listen for a difference and if you cannot percieve one spend your money accordingly.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i guess that makes sense, i am a trust your ears kinda guy afterall, and people say that music file compression removes only "inaudible" frequencies, but i can tell the difference much of the time. I guess its a similar principle.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]
Out of interest how does phase come into this?
[/quote]

In short it, it doesn't. Mr_Poletski will no doubt argue that with different length of cables that the signals will arrive out of phase at the speakers. Not to any significant degree they won't. And not compared with any phase differences introduced by the speakers being different distances from your sitting position. For those with a strong stomach, here's the sums:

Human hearing tops out at about 20kHz. So, at the highest frequency we can hear, one cycle of sound takes one twenty thousandth of a second, or 0.00005 of a second.

Electrical signals travel at close to the speed of light. They take about 3.3 nanoseconds to traverse a meter of cable. That's 0.00000003 of a second.

So, at 20kHz, for each meter of difference in cable length, the phase difference will be 0.00007 of a cycle. In other words three fifths of naff all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts