Speaker cable

abacus

2.5mm sq. OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) multi-strand cable, and buy the cheapest you can find.

Forget exotic or so called audio speaker cable as they make no difference to the sound. (As any blind test will prove beyond doubt)

Hope this helps

Bill

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Done blind tests that have proved different - not getting into debate about it - but dont be put off buying decent cable, or trying several to see what you like.

Lots of options and they all sound different to me, not based on price as several times my current have been cheaper than my previous

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
From experience I think the cable can make a difference, but I don't think you have to spend a fortune. When re-doing my cinema room at a new house I used Chord Carnival Classic, and I feel it made an improvement to the sound, (richer mid range most noticeably), compared to the previous Phylex 72 strand OFC I had used. I believe both of these were the same gauge. But the Phylex stuff was still good and I ran it for a long time with no worries.

It is a new room obviously, so this could have an effect but I think it's actually less ideal acoustically than my previous one.

The sound is an electrical signal so obviously what it travels through can make a difference and diminish or alter the electrical wave. Gauge, number of strands, and material, (OFC copper as a minimum), are key as they affect the resistance of the wire to the signal, but the way the cable is put together and shielded could also have an effect, (having said that mine is not electrically shielded, but has a thicker and better outer then the Phylex did, which will help, and the rears run with power wires at some places and the sound is still great). There's also robustness when running through walls and stuff to consider.

My advice would be to check the gauge, (there are tables for length I believe I made sure I got 14 which I think covers you for most normal runs), and then get a reputable cable at that gauge that is OFC at least, (silver lowers the resistance a bit more but I'm not sure it's significant), and a robust outer. Some of the exotic cables i think have more theoretical than real benefits, but I still think you need decent cable.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
£10 a meter for some good shielded silver cable is nice and just the right amount to spend i would say. It gets to a point where you are throwing money at it for no reason.

For example Atlas cables can cost thousads, will you hear a difference between that and a cable costing hundreds? probably not. Will you hear the difference between equipment costing thousands vs one that costs hundreds. YES!

My point is, cables are not worth the money they command and your money can be better invested in something that will actually improve your system.

I recommend looking at Van den Hul for what its worth, good quality and price per meter is very reasonable.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
duaplex said:
£10 a meter for some good shielded silver cable is nice and just the right amount to spend i would say. It gets to a point where you are throwing money at it for no reason.

For example Atlas cables can cost thousads, will you hear a difference between that and a cable costing hundreds? probably not. Will you hear the difference between equipment costing thousands vs one that costs hundreds. YES!

My point is, cables are not worth the money they command and your money can be better invested in something that will actually improve your system.

I recommend looking at Van den Hul for what its worth, good quality and price per meter is very reasonable.
hi duaplex is there any chance of seeing some pics of your system it must look great:cheers:

iceman16

abacus said:
2.5mm sq. OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) multi-strand cable, and buy the cheapest you can find.

Forget exotic or so called audio speaker cable as they make no difference to the sound. (As any blind test will prove beyond doubt)

Hope this helps

Bill
Abacus

If you don't mind..may I know what system you're using? Please?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Maybe a right good way of doing blind-testinbg is to Ask the listener IF the cable has NOW been swapped..... that'd sort out the 'yes they do brigade' and once and for all.

Had my son do the blind tests with both my wife and I...... you actually do NOT hear differences.

PS/ Maybe too many people have too much money to spend ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts