Speaker cable help please

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey all me again
smiley-laughing.gif

Being the dumb dumb that I am I have only just realised that the Tannoy hts 101 speakers that I am just about to order do not come with speaker cables and I have no clue on what I need to order.Just going by the reviews on this site I was looking at these http://www.hificables.co.uk/11312/Qed-Silver-Anniversary-XT-Speaker-Cable.html

Am I looking at it wrong or are they really that expensive ? I chose them because they had good reviews and were cheaper but Im going to need about 10 metres for each rear speaker, 2 metres for the fronts, 1 metre for centre and a sub cable which I take are a different cable altogether ? So going by that link am I right in thinking it will cost me £195.20 just for a pair of fronts and a pair of surrounds ?

Thanks

Joe

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I dont know how you worked it out, but this is what i got from what you have written.

10 metres for each rear speaker = 20 metres

2 metres for each of the fronts = 4 metres

1 metre for the Centre = 1 metre

Total length 25 meters at £4.80 per metre = £120 for the 5 speakers + the Sub coax LFE lead

You can buy cheaper cable for example here

After looking at your link, you are paying someone else to terminate them when you could be doing it yourself, alternatively dont bother they will work just as well.

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
f1only said:
I dont know how you worked it out, but this is what i got from what you have written.

Total length 25 meters at £4.80 per metre = £120 for the 5 speakers + the Sub coax LFE lead

After looking at your link, you are paying someone else to terminate them when you could be doing it yourself, alternatively dont bother they will work just as well.

Thanks a lot F1

Im obviously working it out a silly way, I worked it out from the drop down menu as

a 10 metre pair = 20 metres (for the surrounds) = £136

a 2 metre pair = 4 metres (for the fronts) = £59.20

= £195.20

Im still trying to work out what that drop menu is all about LOL

smiley-embarassed.gif

Thanks for the link too, do you think there will be any noticeable difference between the silver anniversary cable and the micro cable ?

Hi Joe

I'll recommend that you should also consider using standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables as I feel these will be good enough for the Tannoy speakers. You'll also be able to find 79 strand cables at local electrical stores and they should cost very little money.

Fwiw, I also use standard 79 strand OFC speaker cables with components such as Monitor Audio's Platinum PL300/PL200 AV speaker systems, Plinius Odean, etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd always go with terminated cables for 5.1, it can get very fiddly around the back of an AV receiver. If you wanted a pair at each end of each cable, you'll want 20 banana plugs. As long as you don't go for anything exotic (eg Airloc) they are dead simple to fit to the cable yourself. Don't go mad with the £/m.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The OP will need to consider that banana plugs cost £5 per pair, so if he gets 20 plugs that will be another £50.

I use banana plugs at the speaker end only, and if the speaker accepts banana plugs - my various surround back and bi-amping Yamaha small speakers have only spring clip terminals.

I've never done a comparison with other speaker cables, so I can't say how good it is, but for the past four years I've bought only Richer Sounds' Cambridge Audio Symphony 400 cable, now £2:49 a metre http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/cambridge-audio/symphony-400/gale-symphony-400. I can't afford very expensive cable, I now have about 250 metres of speaker cable in my flat!

AndyWright

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
joeteds said:
Hey all me again
smiley-laughing.gif

Being the dumb dumb that I am I have only just realised that the Tannoy hts 101 speakers that I am just about to order do not come with speaker cables and I have no clue on what I need to order.Just going by the reviews on this site I was looking at these http://www.hificables.co.uk/11312/Qed-Silver-Anniversary-XT-Speaker-Cable.html

Am I looking at it wrong or are they really that expensive ? I chose them because they had good reviews and were cheaper but Im going to need about 10 metres for each rear speaker, 2 metres for the fronts, 1 metre for centre and a sub cable which I take are a different cable altogether ? So going by that link am I right in thinking it will cost me £195.20 just for a pair of fronts and a pair of surrounds ?

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe,

Snap on the speakers and possibly speaker cables :) FWIW I can definitely recommend this combination, I also needed around 20 metres of wire for the rears and couldnt afford to go the whole hog so I only use the QED Silver Anniversaries on the Front 3 speakers and a cheaper cables for the rears and my system sounds fantastic. Just another option for you.

All the best.

Andy

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
f1only said:

Thanks a lot F1

I have posted a reply but it hasnt shown for some reason.

Ive obviously worked it out a silly way.The way I done it was from the drop down menu like this -

10 metre pair (for the 2 surrounds) = £136

2 metre pair for the 2 fronts = £59

= £195 and thats without sub and centre speaker but like I said Ive obviously done it completely wrong lol
smiley-embarassed.gif

I'll definately terminate them myself now thanks, didnt realise how easy it was until I looked it up.

Also Peter Tyson sell the speakers with 40 metres of Chord Leyline cable and a qed sub cable for an extra £50 totalling £379 which I thought was pretty good.

Thanks again.

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot F1

I have posted a reply but it hasnt shown for some reason.

Ive obviously worked it out a silly way.The way I done it was from the drop down menu like this -

10 metre pair (for the 2 surrounds) = £136

2 metre pair for the 2 fronts = £59

= £195 and thats without sub and centre speaker but like I said Ive obviously done it completely wrong lol
smiley-embarassed.gif

I'll definately terminate them myself now thanks, didnt realise how easy it was until I looked it up.

Also Peter Tyson sell the speakers with 40 metres of Chord Leyline cable and a qed sub cable for an extra £50 totalling £379 which I thought was pretty good.

Thanks again.

I am trying to quote your post but it keeps saying its in a que for the mods.

joeteds

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
AndyWright said:
joeteds said:
Hey all me again
smiley-laughing.gif

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe,

Snap on the speakers and possibly speaker cables :) FWIW I can definitely recommend this combination, I also needed around 20 metres of wire for the rears and couldnt afford to go the whole hog so I only use the QED Silver Anniversaries on the Front 3 speakers and a cheaper cables for the rears and my system sounds fantastic. Just another option for you.

All the best.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Not surprising that I didnt think about doing that
smiley-laughing.gif

Well worth a thought though thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts