Suitable Speaker Cable

camcroft

Hi. Don't run away with yourselves it's not another cable thread. I am looking for serious suggestions for a suitable speaker cable that could go under laminate flooring as we are having ours replaced.

camcroft

tricky place to put it, cannot you run it around the skirting?
otherwise any flat ribbon cable I guess although these tend to be single core.
I am going to ask the fitter next week as they are doing 3 other rooms first. I put the bog standard speaker cable as supplied by a lot of companies under the present flooring but that system had an edging strip around it with cavities on the insert which was suitable to hide the bell wire in. The new system has a different set up using a beading strip up against the skirting board.

camcroft

Or this:-

Not cheap though....
At the moment I have a Marantz receiver not AV and a Marantz cd player and MA RX1 speakers which are wired with the cable I was on about I also stream the sound to the speakers using an iFi Zen Blue. I have been looking at Wireless/ Bluetooth speakers but can't find any that are suitable in a reasonable price range which would do away with the cable issue.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 160668

I am literally having my new laminate floor laid tomorrow...

Do not worry about a flat cable. Presumably you are having the skirting boards, or edging strips fitted after the floor is down (for best finish)? If so, then you'll almost certainly have a small gap around the edge of the floor or behind the skirting boards in which you can run pretty much any cable. Therefore, pick up a suitably long length of your favourite cable.

camcroft

Thinner than round stuff, but no doubt thinner is available.
As for the sound.....I believe there are people that hear differences. Some of them get a bit prickly on the subject of blind testing though, never known why that is 🤔.
This is not my main system so I am really looking for something that is pleasant on the eye for the exposed pieces and of a decent quality but not overkill.

camcroft

Do not worry about a flat cable. Presumably you are having the skirting boards, or edging strips fitted after the floor is down (for best finish)? If so, then you'll almost certainly have a small gap around the edge of the floor or behind the skirting boards in which you can run pretty much any cable. Therefore, pick up a suitably long length of your favourite cable.
Would you mind posting a picture of your edging strips after the floor has been fitted. Thanks we have skirting board and the edging just butts up against it I think.

D

Deleted member 160668

Would you mind posting a picture of your edging strips after the floor has been fitted. Thanks we have skirting board and the edging just butts up against it I think.
Do not lay the laminate tight up against the skirting boards as it expands and contracts throughout the seasons in hotter/cooler weather. Typically there will be a small gap around the edge. The skirting should be removed then added back on top to cover the gap and look neat. Alternatively you can use edging strips, an example linked below to cover the gap.

Either which way, you don't need flat cable, you can run your cable around the perimeter of your room.

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

Do not lay the laminate tight up against the skirting boards as it expands and contracts throughout the seasons in hotter/cooler weather. Typically there will be a small gap around the edge. The skirting should be removed then added back on top to cover the gap and look neat. Alternatively you can use edging strips, an example linked below to cover the gap.

Either which way, you don't need flat cable, you can run your cable around the perimeter of your room.

I have spoken to the company who are laying it and apparently as you said there will be a gap so I will speak to the fitter on the best way to do the speaker run. Thank you for your input.

camcroft

Do you put your cable under the flooring / around the edging.If so what gauge would you recommend. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS