speaker buzzing-cassette deck addition

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello, getting back into old school Hi-Fi

I've recently added a NAD 6220 cassette player to my NAD Hi-Fi separates (all working well) but when I tray & play cassettes, I get a loud buzzing from the speakers, grateful for all advice; many thanks. Also, having a challenge accessing NAD full user guides for amp/cassette-other than 2 page brochure!

Regards AndyP

DCarmi

Sounds like it may be a ground loop issue. Check the plug and the RCA cables (try wiggling the RCAs). You can try touching the metal case and see if that changes anything (i.e. grounding the device).

It is also possible there is a dry solder joint on the board or to the play back head.

You'd expect problems with a 30+ year old device with mechanical parts. There rubber bits which can perish, for example. I suppose getting some sort of sound is encouraging, if it music as well as buzzing, that is.

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello DCarmi & thank you

Yes, I'd thought of that-so purchased an earth lead ground wire from eBay, I do get a very muffled sound from a cassette-but not anymore?

I'll try the wire & see if that makes a difference-just quizzical that it's only the cassette player & not with the turntable/CD/tuner? thanks again

regards andyp

Attachments

• IMG_5907 2.JPG
    IMG_5907 2.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 14

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Sounds like it may be a ground loop issue. Check the plug and the RCA cables (try wiggling the RCAs). You can try touching the metal case and see if that changes anything (i.e. grounding the device).

It is also possible there is a dry solder joint on the board or to the play back head.

You'd expect problems with a 30+ year old device with mechanical parts. There rubber bits which can perish, for example. I suppose getting some sort of sound is encouraging, if it music as well as buzzing, that is.

Hello again,
I contacted the seller & they said it was all working OK-but could be individual Hi-Fi separates 'connecting' with each other due to their proximity-i suppose ideally, separates would all have their own shelf & the speakers would be up to 9 foot apart; I'll see how the earth lead works & try & gt some packing in between. Also, any advice on cleaning (de-fluffing) my Rega Cartridge needle? thanks
Regards andyp

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello, yes-they're in great condition for their age

Can you expand on your advice please (Hi-Fi newbie) & how I should connect the cassette deck to the amp? very grateful

There's tape 1 & tape 2 monitor buttons on the amp front, on the reverse, there's tape 1 & 2 RCA selections-each divided into 2 in & out RCA plugs (I'm baffled)

On the cassette deck rear there are input & output leads, many thanks for all advice

Regards andyp

Hello, yes-they're in great condition for their age

Can you expand on your advice please (Hi-Fi newbie) & how I should connect the cassette deck to the amp? very grateful

There's tape 1 & tape 2 monitor buttons on the amp front, on the reverse, there's tape 1 & 2 RCA selections-each divided into 2 in & out RCA plugs (I'm baffled)

On the cassette deck rear there are input & output leads, many thanks for all advice

Regards andyp
Connect the cassette deck OUT left and right to the Tape 1 IN left and right on the amplifier. It might be marked Monitor (but definitely not the amplifier OUT sockets).
That enables replay of recorded cassettes. To hear the tape, press in the Tape Monitor button on the amp.

To make recordings, connect a second pair of RCA cables from Tape Out on the amp, to In or Input on the cassette deck. To record, select the source you’re recording (not Tape!) on the amp. Press the Record/Play button on the cassette deck with a blank cassette inserted. Pause on. Adjust record levels. Set Dolby on. Release Pause and your recording starts.

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Connect the cassette deck OUT left and right to the Tape 1 IN left and right on the amplifier. It might be marked Monitor (but definitely not the amplifier OUT sockets).
That enables replay of recorded cassettes. To hear the tape, press in the Tape Monitor button on the amp.

To make recordings, connect a second pair of RCA cables from Tape Out on the amp, to In or Input on the cassette deck. To record, select the source you’re recording (not Tape!) on the amp. Press the Record/Play button on the cassette deck with a blank cassette inserted. Pause on. Adjust record levels. Set Dolby on. Release Pause and your recording starts.

Hello again & thanks

Yes, that's how i'd set it up-just tried again, very distorted music in the background with very bassy, resonating throaty humming, could well be the earth grounding problem-cable ordered; meantime I'll try packing between separates-keep you updated & huge thanks again. Do you know where I can get the manuals for NAD separates?

Regards andyp

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Just try it in any of the other inputs just not the phono input. Then you will know if it is the tape deck or the tape circuits in the amp.

Hello & thanks, I'll try that too-I've blocked the phono inputs as I'm using a NAD PP2 & informed to put the RCA leads into the Aux on the back of the amp. Regards andyp

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello again
just tried it in the tuner RCA input & exactly the same: loud, pulsating, buzz-so looks like its the tape circuits in the amp; I'll contact the seller & see if they can check it out-gutted as I wont have any music, but learning curve is peaking
Regards andyp

Hello again
just tried it in the tuner RCA input & exactly the same: loud, pulsating, buzz-so looks like its the tape circuits in the amp; I'll contact the seller & see if they can check it out-gutted as I wont have any music, but learning curve is peaking
Regards andyp
What tape are you playing? Do you know it’s good?

Try unplugging your turntable and tuner from the mains. You just want amp and cassette deck connected. To eliminate hum loops anyway. Any difference?

Has the cassette deck mains plug got an earth wire? Is it wired correctly?

The cassette deck or your tape is 99% likely the problem. Amps don’t get faulty tape circuits. Anyway you are using the Aux inputs! Are the RCA cables good?

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
What tape are you playing? Do you know it’s good?

Try unplugging your turntable and tuner from the mains. You just want amp and cassette deck connected. To eliminate hum loops anyway. Any difference?

Has the cassette deck mains plug got an earth wire? Is it wired correctly?

The cassette deck or your tape is 99% likely the problem. Amps don’t get faulty tape circuits. Anyway you are using the Aux inputs! Are the RCA cables good?

Hello & thanks

It's a great condition cassette by the police (group!) Sound advice-i'll unplug everything apart from the cassette deck & amp & check for speaker hum

I will check the cassette deck plug for earthing wire

OK, no I'm using the dedicated tape inputs as advised previously-i only tried the tuner input to try & check out the cassette deck inputs, hence possible amp problem. thanks again

regards andyp

andypeet

Nov 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello & thanks

It's a great condition cassette by the police (group!) Sound advice-i'll unplug everything apart from the cassette deck & amp & check for speaker hum

I will check the cassette deck plug for earthing wire

OK, no I'm using the dedicated tape inputs as advised previously-i only tried the tuner input to try & check out the cassette deck inputs, hence possible amp problem. thanks again

regards andyp

hello again

I checked the cassette deck-no earthing wire, but it's the original wire from NAD?

I unplugged everything-just cassette deck & amp-same buzzing sound, taking amp cassette player to hifi repairers tomorrow, as amp bought there; they've got a NAD 320BEE & if my 312 doesn't work I'm going to ask about that

The 320 has a 'disc' input (I've read its not a 'dedicated' phono input?) but, hopefully by using my PP2 phono preamp-I can use the input for the turntable, I'll post following that, thanks again for all advice

regards andyp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts