Speaker/AMP matching Tannoy XT8F

Gun Mortimer

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, looking for a reasonable match for XT8F's. Contemplating a Cambridge CXA80 ... Is that a reasonable choice? Comments/suggestions most welcome.

Kind regards, G.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It is not a match that I would make.

Tannoy can sound a little bright if matched with an amp that has similar traits.

I would be looking at Arcam or even better, Abrahamsen.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
How much are you wanting to spend max (i know as cheap as possible) but to know your buget will help

Also what source will you be using to play music/files

CnoEvil said:
It is not a match that I would make.

Tannoy can sound a little bright if matched with an amp that has similar traits.

I would be looking at Arcam or even better, Abrahamsen.

I concur. Perhaps the Cambridge is not the best match available.

What are you going to use as a source?

.....and welcome to the forum.

Gun Mortimer

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for the rapid reply!

Price point ideally similar to CXA80, source will mainly be Cambridge audio CXN.

Kind regards,

G.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gun Mortimer said:
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for the rapid reply!

Price point ideally similar to CXA80, source will mainly be Cambridge audio CXN.

Kind regards,

G.

£799 at richer sounds

Id def go abrahamsen or nord power amps at that price point. Another option could be cyrus one but not sure how it will sound with tannoy

Gun Mortimer

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, added to the todo list! Checking out Arkam/Roksan and looking to find an Abrahamsen - hard to find :-/

A big thank you for the rapid feedback and kind replies of all forum participants, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards, G.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You need to hear them with your speakers.

Ones I would be looking to try would be Creek 50A, Croft Int., Marantz 8005 and Abrahamsen.

I did not like the Arcam A19. Roksan Kandy K2 ok if you need that power but I preferred other amps.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
peterpan said:
Is a Exposure 3010S2 a good amp for this speaker?

I had the 3010S2D on home demo last week. It is certainly more than capable of driving the XT8F's. I found it balanced (not too strong on the bass) and quite neutral - neither bright or wolly/warm. It just got on with playing the music. I suppose it also depends on what source you have.

But I really liked the 3010S2D and I would recommend you get one on home demo for a few days if you can.

jonathanRD said:
peterpan said:
Is a Exposure 3010S2 a good amp for this speaker?

I had the 3010S2D on home demo last week. It is certainly more than capable of driving the XT8F's. I found it balanced (not too strong on the bass) and quite neutral - neither bright or wolly/warm. It just got on with playing the music. I suppose it also depends on what source you have.

But I really liked the 3010S2D and I would recommend you get one on home demo for a few days if you can.

Ditto, up to a point. Amps in themselves cannot be considered neutral or anything else it all depends on the rest of the components you hear it with. Having said that Exposure are highly underrated.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
If you're considering the CXA80, presumably you have access to Richer Sounds. My advice would be to try the combination. I haven't heard that particular one but I'm not convinced by the generalisation that Tannoy and Cambridge are both bright and should be avoided. I think the Rev DC6TE has a lot to answer for in this regard. For the sake of a 30 minute audition, you will be much better informed than hours spent on the Internet.

S

SemiChronic

Im also unsure of where the brighness opinions come from regarding cambridge.

Currently paired Cambridge 851A with Tannoy precision 6.2 and dont find them overbearing in any way, i can listen all day/night long without fatigue. Detail, mids and bass are all there in spades.

I am using really thick cables, maybe this might be offsetting any percieved brightness. i dont know.

But what i do know is that this particular pairing does produce some high quality sounds!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Gun Mortimer

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Made my choice - a blind one because I don't have access to listen to the amp where I'm at. I've received my XT8F's and my CXN, waiting for my Abrahamsen to be delivered. When it gets here I'll let y'all know how it sounds. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Cheers,

G.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gun Mortimer said:
Hi everyone,

Made my choice - a blind one because I don't have access to listen to the amp where I'm at. I've received my XT8F's and my CXN, waiting for my Abrahamsen to be delivered. When it gets here I'll let y'all know how it sounds. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Cheers,

G.

IMO. You have chosen wisely, given you have bought blind. I think you will be pleased.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts