Speaker advice needed! - Cyrus 6 set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently decided to purchase a Cyrus 6vs and CD6s and now looking to partner with a set of floorstanders at £1000 or less. On the list are:
  • Dali Ikon 6
  • Monitor Audio RS6
  • Quad 22L
  • Dynaudio 62
  • Spendor 5Se
What else should I be looking at and which of the above is a standout.

What I'm looking for is a good match for the two box cyrus set up and value transparancy and detail over ground shaking bass! I ought to mention that I mostly listen to indie, rock etc so heavily guitar and rhythm driven - but needs to handle complexity of My Bloody Valentine, Polyphonic Spree etc'

Also as a supplementary, recommendations for interconnects and speaker cable would be much appreciated (wish to bi-wire).

Thanks!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
1st thing first, IMO and IME, Biwire doesn't make that much improvement to the sound (if at all!) A good jumpers leads between the terminals is possibly a better investment. I have not heard the Cyrus 6 but I used the CD7Q for a while and if the sound are quite similar I would go down Spendor route or like above suggestion RS6s and hope to god it wouldn't sound too bright!! I certainly would not put Quad with the Cyrus unless you like listen to music with sun glasses on!

A

Anonymous

Thanks to both for taking the time to reply. Hmm confirmed my suspicion that the Quads would be too bright but that was also said to warn me off the RS6's also - were the chord selections generic or specifically chosen to tone down the brightness?

Also interesting that neither of you went for the Dali's which I thought were flavour of the month - obviously not a good match for cyrus then?

A

Anonymous

I have a freind with a cyrus6 cd/amp which I sold to him quite some time ago,his kit is partnered with dynoaudio 42s not floorstanders it is a fantastic system.It seems the cyrus is very lean and you need neutral speakers to bring out the best,Spendor s5es would also work well but I think they would be better with the cyrus8.I know for a fact that Monitor audio s6 do not work with cyrus kit as I owned them,some music was o.k, but not rock they could strip wallpaper,saying that they have now updated the model to the rs6 but I bet there still bright.How about the Kef range! or B/W.I think 1200quid is a lot to spend on the Cyrus combo unless of course you are thinking of haveing them uprated later with psxr as well.Hope you find what your looking for.[Spendor s5e owner] Chris C.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the RS6s aren't overly bright, The Chord Cables were specifically chosen as they are fairly neutral. And IMHO biwiring can make a big difference.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
No, the RS6s aren't overly bright, The Chord Cables were specifically chosen as they are fairly neutral. And IMHO biwiring can make a big difference.

[/quote]

I agree on RS6 would not be too bright but the biwiring I still skeptical. I have try many times and as much as I want to hear the improvement I never did! The fact that one of the best speakers manufacture out there, Dynaudio, don't even give you a chance to waste your money on double cables run have told me something and "the dane don't lie!"
if your speaker has a properly designed crossover then it doesn't require biwiring, if the crossover has been designed badly then why buy them in the first place. Bi-amping though really does make sound a lot better. All IMHO,

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
[/quote]

I just had a mate on the phone and he's reckon he too can hear an improvment from bi-wiring, more noticeable on Monitor Audio!!! (can't see why he have to mention just that brand?) so yes, Andrew there are many people that can hear the different, my ears however couldn't, so like you said "we'll have to agree to disagree" best regards

A

Anonymous

I can only speak from experience with the bi-wire issue - I had a pair of Mission 780's way back, connected to a Denon AV amp and I can tell you that bi-wiring made a HUGE difference to those speakers.
I suspect it is speaker dependent as to how much benefit you're going to get from biwiring but technically it absolutely should make a big difference - stronger, more balanced supply of current to each driver array leaving each to do their thing without power being sucked away to the hungrier drive unit. Whatever crossover you use (and I don't care how expensive it is), you're going to encounter signal loss and other degradation as the signal passes through.

Apart from that fact, you're doubling the signal-conducting capacity by running two sets of cables as well.

I have some RS6's on order and will be setting up my Denon AV4306 to bi-amp them. I've been looking at hooking them up with QED Silver Anniversary XT but would love an opinion on the cables?

MikeF

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Andrew,

To clarify the above I meant the speaker and cable suggestion (and biwiring if that helps the balance the overall tone)

Thank you. Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts