Speaker Advice for a long time WHFS&V reader and Music Lover

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Recently I broke one of the connection terminal on my B&W DM303 speaker and the repair cost is not justified, I was quite happy for last 7 years with the sound they delivered, Now forced to buy a new pair, I have a Rega Brio Amp, Arcam CD along with Macmini and SQ3 connected via Dac Magic to Rega, I listened to most of the time lossless mp3s or FLAC and like to have speakers which can deliver nice tight & punchy bass with excellent vocals and doesn't distort sound on high volume with complex tunes.

I know too much to ask but can't compromis on my vast music taste, so should I go with new B&W 685 or older 605 s2 or Dynaudio DM2/7 or Excite X12, I auditioned Dynaudio and they meet all my criterias except for Bass while B&W are excellent overall but lack the rythmic sound and excellent vocals of Dynaudio and handling complex tunes at high volume, my budget is 300-500 any advice on speakers which can bridge the gap between B&W and Dynaudio and can easily be handled by my Brio I love my Brio, this setup was bought 7 years ago on advice fromAndy Cloug, based on the article from a WHF visit to one of WHF reader's house. I loved those articles but I guess times have changed and WHF can't affort to visit people's house to give advice.

NigelF:

Recently I broke one of the connection terminal on my B&W DM303 speaker and the repair cost is not justified, I was quite happy for last 7 years with the sound they delivered, Now forced to buy a new pair, I have a Rega Brio Amp, Arcam CD along with Macmini and SQ3 connected via Dac Magic to Rega, I listened to most of the time lossless mp3s or FLAC and like to have speakers which can deliver nice tight & punchy bass with excellent vocals and doesn't distort sound on high volume with complex tunes.

I know too much to ask but can't compromis on my vast music taste, so should I go with new B&W 685 or older 605 s2 or Dynaudio DM2/7 or Excite X12, I auditioned Dynaudio and they meet all my criterias except for Bass while B&W are excellent overall but lack the rythmic sound and excellent vocals of Dynaudio and handling complex tunes at high volume, my budget is 300-500 any advice on speakers which can bridge the gap between B&W and Dynaudio and can easily be handled by my Brio I love my Brio, this setup was bought 7 years ago on advice fromAndy Cloug, based on the article from a WHF visit to one of WHF reader's house. I loved those articles but I guess times have changed and WHF can't affort to visit people's house to give advice.

Hi NigelF

You should also consider Monitor Audio's (if you can accomodate them) superb new Silver RX2 speakers at £500 (standard finish) or £600 (gloss black/white). I believe they'll do the trick for you.
emotion-1.gif

Imo the Silver RX2's are a bargain.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
If you can stretch to the dynaudio X16, I highly recommend them. They have a much bigger sound than the X12. They have tight bass, but bigger bass than most floorstanders. BTW, I used to own the X12s, so I know the diff.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice I'd definitely try MAs and X12, but with X16 problem is I cannot put Floor standing ones in my room as its too small just 4x4 meters. I remember listening to Dyn 42s but picked the B&W for better bass.

Forgot to mention I am a dance and techno music freak so tight and punchy bass is a must but then I also listen to Diana Kral and Chris Botti's Italia opening number with Andrea Bocelli is a must test for good vocal test. I hope you will understand how varied my music taste is.

NigelF:Thanks for the advice I'd definitely try MAs and X12, but with X16 problem is I cannot put Floor standing ones in my room as its too small just 4x4 meters. I remember listening to Dyn 42s but picked the B&W for better bass.

Hi NigelF

Dynaudio's Excite X16's are a bookshelf design.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Just wondering how EB1 Stand Mount Monitor will sound with Rega Brio for my kind of music, never heard the company before and have never seen anyone selling these so it's just flip of coin and take words of WHF team as they awarded these speakers in my price bracket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts