More beginner questions!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

Hi all,

After some great advice from you guys on speakers, i now have a pair of Mission M72s. So thank you all! I now need to know how to wire them. The speakers are my actual speakers, the amp pictured isn't mine but just an image I found online as I'm not at home right now.

I have four core speaker wire, but I'm not too sure what goes where, both on the amp end and the speaker end. Sorry for asking such a novice question but, I gotta start somewhere!

Thanks so much,

PaulView attachment 6618View attachment 6619
Good choice. When I recommend these (or Mission 701's) I mentioned What HiFi paired your amp with them back in 2002. I found the write-up.

Attachments

• 20240502_234304.jpg
    20240502_234304.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 8

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Understood. My answer was directed at the posters fantasy with single driver speakers, a one man crusade chasing an unwanted unicorn, ridiculous. I'm sure he's baiting everyone and having a good laugh.

I'm happy I only have one set of binding posts on my amp and my speakers, they do the job nicely.
After having worn a Sennheiser Hd 599, the high frequencies coming out from the wafer-thin transparent driver were ridiculous, or maybe it was the upgraded silver cable. So, the thought of looking for a single-driver loudspeaker with similar driver properties and a matching sub-woofer could make a fantastic listening experience in the room. This would eliminate the need for internal crossovers in a dual-driver speaker.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you have four core in a single jacket, I'd just twist up the conductors so you end up with effectively two conductors (making sure you have twisted together the same on each end). That doubles your cross-sectional conductor area, lowering resistance. Will it do anything? Depends on the cable length (longer cable lengths you should be using thicker gauge, which doing this effectively does), but lowering resistance isn't a negative regardless..

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

If you have four core in a single jacket, I'd just twist up the conductors so you end up with effectively two conductors (making sure you have twisted together the same on each end). That doubles your cross-sectional conductor area, lowering resistance. Will it do anything? Depends on the cable length (longer cable lengths you should be using thicker gauge, which doing this effectively does), but lowering resistance isn't a negative regardless..
Hopefully he's got the message now 👍
(I told him the same in post #18).

TRENDING THREADS