SoundBar/SoundBase

sunny

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello folks...

Straight to thge point,Need some valuable info regarding the latest buzz in Audio,which are Soundbars or Soundbase stuff!..

I can understand that they are perfect Audio Susbstitutes for LED TVs/Flat Tvs(whose built-in speakers are fragile) but cannot clarify myself if they are good enough substitutes for a proper 5.1 set up as well?

For example., Yamaha's Sound projectors(as Yamaha calls them) like YSP 2200 or Philips HTL 5140 or Pioneer SBX N700.

And there are less expenisve ones from Yamaha like YAS 100/103 or JBL SB350/400 which are similar to the above mentioned sound bars but with fewer drivers behind the grill.

So are the less expensive ones are only Virtual surround systems?..if yes,how good are they to deliver Dolby Digital/Dts/AC3 5.1 audio from source??

And what exactly are soundbases now?..How are they different from Soundbars??

Wish some one kind would clarify and i would be greatfull.

thanks a lot.

-Sunny.

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi sunny

Good questions...

First of all, soundbars/bases will never give you the immersive sound that 5.1 packages do. Physically, they can't. Yamaha has come the closest with their YSP range - simlply put, those soundbars are designed to beam sound in different directions, and to bounce off walls, to give the 'sense' that sounds are coming from side (and less so, rear) speakers. As you say, it's 'virtual surround.' The 1400 is the cheapest to do this, but don't expect it to emulate a proper surround system...

Soundbars/bases are always a compromise to 5.1 packages, but attractive options for those who don't have the space (and, at the budget end) budget for them. The differences between the two are largely practical: soundbars are usually 'bars' that sit in front of your telly, and often accompany a subwoofer; bases are 'one-box' solutions deigned to sit underneath your telly.

If you have the space for a 5.1 package (the £900 Q Acoustics Q7000i and £350 tannoy HTS-101 are partiularly diminuitive packages compared to packages with huge floorstanders) and the size of soundfield is important, go for one of those.

If you dont have the living space and still want a big (room-filling) sound and convincing vocal clarity etc, but are willing to sacrifice absolute 'surround sound', a Cambridge Audio TV5 (£250)/Canton DM75 soundbase (£450) or Philips HTL1540 (£250)/Q Acoustics Media 4 (£400) are good options, which also give you the option of Bluetooth for wireless audio playback.

Hope that's of some help.

Becky Roberts
Staff Writer, What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision

sunny

May 2, 2012
Visit site
well first of all thanks alot Becky,for taking your time in replying!

You have given a very detailed information,i must say,regarding the definitions of Soundbars/Bases in the real world.

I totally agree with you when you say,Yamaha went closest with their YSP mid-high end 'Sound Projectors' for once i heard them sometime ago,i was blown away by the technology first,rather than the sound itself for it was a very very convincing surround sound experience!:) I mean i literally tunred my head to my left and right when there were bullets sound,from a gun fight scene where there were absolutely no speakers(surround) on the walls!!..lol... though my mate cautioned me with that sorta head turns prior to the demo :)

But later when encountered with other sound bar experinces down the timeline,i always felt something real was missing in the overall sense of depth and emotion of the film!..May be there is some Psychological aspect too here,to some extent?

So may be like you said,one shall not expect soundbars to emulate the actual 5.1/7.1 surround set up.

well i'm happy with my exsisting(and old) Denon AVR 3### series AV Receiver and KEFs around the wall...

But once again thanks dear,for your kind reply and it was very helpful.

-Sunny.

TRENDING THREADS