Sony STR DA6400 ES with Focal Chorus 836V+... Good combination?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm using a Focal 816V 5.1 setup (SVS subwoofer) and have had them connected to both a Denon AVR and Arcam hifi amp and they sound fantastic with both.

Demo to be sure and don't rule out the higher end Yamaha, Marantz and Denon receivers. If you google Focal JM Lab Owner's thread, you should find more suggestions.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Good for stereo or good for home cinema? The Sony is an excellent amp and it has a very solid sound. I have not heard the Focal's for a while but I would check how the Sony matches with their treble. If you have a big room and drive the system hard then the top end may be a bit lively.

I would try to arrange a demonstration of the Yamaha Z7 as well.

A

Anonymous

Yes I know both products are excelent but, the question is are they as good when paired together?

I don't know how the amp sounds (bassy or high?) the chorus should neutral with the 836 isnt it?

what speaker cables should I use Copper of silver to ge the best out of it?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Sony is solid in sound - not bassy and not too much at the top end as per older models. It has a very clean sound more like the Pioneers than anything else we have.

We normally supply the Sony with Chord cable - Carnival Silver Screen or Rumour 2 depending on the speakers and budget.

If you are running in 5.1 then I would suggest bi-amping the front speakers.

A

Anonymous

I was thinking of the QED

XT 300 or silver
anniversary XT would that be a good choice?

Can I Bi-amp with the Sony and the chorus I don't think so?

thx

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I tend to stay clear of the QED cable and I would expect it to benefit the Sony. As for the bi-amp I am not familiar with the Focals so can not confirm. If you only have one set of speaker terminals then it wont be possible.

A

Anonymous

you tent to stay what of the QED?

would you recomment copper or silver for my combination?

I heard silver would add more high en copper more bas is this true?

TRENDING THREADS