admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi !

Please, I really-really need your help
emotion-1.gif

Sony KDL46Z4500 is avaliable for £1390

Samsung UE46B7020 is avalialbe for £1485

Can you please advice me in choosing between them?

Thanks in Advance!

A

Anonymous

100% the Samsung, the sony has a clouding issue, also, 200hz is pointless I think, your eye can't notice more than 100hz, why 200?

The Samsung also comes with LED Backlight, which will provide deep blacks, almost plasma backs.

If you want the samsung but with 200hz, wait for the SAMSUNG UE46B8000, it should be out within 2 weeks. Although, it's about £300 more!

Or, go for the Pioneer PDP-LX5090, the best TV in the world, super deep blacks, motion is great, and cause Pioneer don't make TV's anymore, you can pick one up for £2099, yes you heard me, a 50 inch Pioneer for £2099! There TV's used to be about £5,000. If you can afford it, get the Pioneer! Best TV in the world by far!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks ajharris for your advice.

Samsung got 1 vote.

ajharris: Yes, Pioneer 5090 is very good indeed but its too expensive ..don't know £600 additional is worth or not (also I will have 10ft distance and 50'' will be too big for that I think?)...and there is no end ..there is Pioneer 500A as well ....I have to draw line at somewhere, so thats why I have choosed these two TVs which give u a lot for ur money...isn't?

Hi fellow hunters, please carry on giving me advice ...I really need it.

A

Anonymous

have you checked out the sammy 46b750 ? one well known online review site said its hd picture was the best they had seen , high praise ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
aulakh:
Many thanks ajharris for your advice.

Samsung got 1 vote.

ajharris: Yes, Pioneer 5090 is very good indeed but its too expensive ..don't know £600 additional is worth or not (also I will have 10ft distance and 50'' will be too big for that I think?)...and there is no end ..there is Pioneer 500A as well ....I have to draw line at somewhere, so thats why I have choosed these two TVs which give u a lot for ur money...isn't?

Hi fellow hunters, please carry on giving me advice ...I really need it.

10ft is to close for a 50" imo. I sold my 5090 because it was to large ... sitting around 12 - 13" away. Ok for HD, no so for anything else.

At 10" I'd look at a maximum 46", possibly 42". There are some new Samsungs coming out, including the 200hz 8000 series mentioned elsewhere on this thread. Although the 46" will be above your budget initially the 42" should fit the bill and it would be the one I'd wait for.

Systematic

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Personally. i'd wait for the UE46B8000. It has regarding as one of the top 3 LCD televisions ever made.

This will destroy the Z4500 to pieces.

A

Anonymous

id wait and see the sony 46z5500 before making a descision , the z4500 is last years model , yet many people still swear by it , the new one will surely be very good , why buy now and have possible regrets in a few weeks ?

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
I had the same dilemma and am still deciding which TV to buy, as so many new models are due over the next few weeks.

I had a demo of both. The Sony has very good sound if you don't want external speakers and the samsung sound is awful. Honestly don't bother with the samsung if you don't have other speakers. There is a review on google on the new samsung 8000 but they reported uneven backlight issues similar to the one the 7000 has experienced. I think if you are thinking on either of these Tv's then purely in picture terms the Sony was better, its performance on SD, HD and blue ray was slightly better then the samsung, although the samsung is better equipped ( 4 HDMI's, internet access etc) and much prettier. The Sony is quite bulky.

Are you planning to have it on the wall or on stand ? Have you physically seen these TV's ?

So if you want something with slightly better picture and good sound and can put up with its bulky nature then Sony.

If you want something that is beautifully designed, slimmer, well equipped and already have external speakers then Samsung.

I have seen some pre-orders for the Sony 46Z5500 and the price is around the £2300 mark. Not sure how accurate this is but it will certainly be in the £2000 plus mark. So the new one could cost you an extra £1000 plus ??? If you have the money then wait.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

£2000 plus ?? er what ? whats going on with tv makers these days ? panasonic 46z1 £5400 , sharp 50 inch lcd £9000 , sony 55x4500 £4500 ?????????????????? there is a resession , considering these are all apparently very close one way or another to the pioneer kuro in performance , why are they so expensive ? the kuro really is looking like a bargain now .. would there really be that much of a difference in picture quality between a sony 46w5500 and the x4500 ? i dont think so , compare cars , say a bmw m3 £48000 and a buggati veryon £1000000 , one goes 155 mph and the other 250 mph , the speed limit is 80... so unless you are the sultan of brunei ? whats wrong with the beemer ? ... come on tv makers , get a grip ...

Systematic

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Dont worry about the Z5500 - this TV is a rip off because of the brand plain and simple.

If you want a TV cheaper then get the Samsung UE46B8000. If you want a higher model but STILL cheaper than the Z5500 wait for the Samsung UE46B9000, which im pretty certain will kick the cack out of the Z5500.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
These models that you are referring to are all showcase models for the respective manufacturers. The Panasonic z1 is an extremely thin plasma and the Sony x series is a locally dimmed led backlight design. Both of these represent technologies that the companies are developing and will someday be introduced into their more economically priced sets once the technology has matured. The existence of these sets now is simply that for those who can afford it they can have what will be standard in a few years' time now. Much like owning a Mercedes S-Class. There is no pressure to sell these ultra-high technology models in anywhere near the volume of the modestly priced W-series for example (even if they are capable of building the necessary components in that high a volume which I would presume they probably couldn't). I won't even get into your car comparison because the differences between the M3 and the Veyron because by your comments I can already assume a degree of either ignorance or apathy to the technology and and beauty of what has been accomplished with either machine and, ultimately, the point is that there is a market for both concepts. One market may be significantly larger than the other, but that is reflected in the volumes of production and this goes for the TV's as well.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Systematic:
Dont worry about the Z5500 - this TV is a rip off because of the brand plain and simple.

If you want a TV cheaper then get the Samsung UE46B8000. If you want a higher model but STILL cheaper than the Z5500 wait for the Samsung UE46B9000, which im pretty certain will kick the cack out of the Z5500.

These are some strong statements you make ... without having seen any of them ... I assume
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

staggerlee:Are you planning to have it on the wall or on stand ? Have you physically seen these TV's ?
So if you want something with slightly better picture and good sound and can put up with its bulky nature then Sony.
If you want something that is beautifully designed, slimmer, well equipped and already have external speakers then Samsung.
First of all, let me thank you, staggerlee, for your detail and clear answer/reply.

Yes, I am planning to have it on the wall and Samsung is
perfect for this due to light weight and its attractiveness. As you have
suggested, I should wait until these new models to come but my wife
emotion-12.gif
is really
pushing me to buy it this week...Have to convince her to be patience.

Systematic

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I'll be honest - I haven't seen them but based on the balance of probability, i know Sony overprices their technology compared to their competitors.

I was a Sony man all my life until Samsung brough out their LCDs. The B9000 will be a true LED TV unlike the B8000 and anything before. That accompanied with the super thin sexy design, 200hz and a price under £2000 is gonna be hard to beat.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
On paper and based on what I've seen lately from Samsung I would agree. If Sony's X series continues to run then the company is unlikely to launch anything that directly competes with it's own flagship range, further reason to assume you may be right. Still, until they're out I'd keep a reasonably open mind.

As always, my opinion only.

A

Anonymous

One thing guys, as most of you are suggesting to wait for Z5500 or
UE46B8000/9000 and price of them will be more than £2000...having said
that, do you think these new TVs can match the picture quality of Kuro
5090/500A (as its the same price bracket)?

A

Anonymous

Tom Moreno:These models that you are referring to are all showcase models for the respective manufacturers. The Panasonic z1 is an extremely thin plasma and the Sony x series is a locally dimmed led backlight design. Both of these represent technologies that the companies are developing and will someday be introduced into their more economically priced sets once the technology has matured. The existence of these sets now is simply that for those who can afford it they can have what will be standard in a few years' time now. Much like owning a Mercedes S-Class. There is no pressure to sell these ultra-high technology models in anywhere near the volume of the modestly priced W-series for example (even if they are capable of building the necessary components in that high a volume which I would presume they probably couldn't). I won't even get into your car comparison because the differences between the M3 and the Veyron because by your comments I can already assume a degree of either ignorance or apathy to the technology and and beauty of what has been accomplished with either machine and, ultimately, the point is that there is a market for both concepts. One market may be significantly larger than the other, but that is reflected in the volumes of production and this goes for the TV's as well. sure i accept that each tv maker will always have a high end model that has cutting edge technology , that may look amazing too , and the technology will filter its way down the model lines over time , the mercedes s class had the first anti lock breaks at a time when most cars didnt even have power steering , almost every car has them now , but the pioneer kuro is still regarded as the best tv out there by most , and they can be had for £2k ish , so apart from the wayne rooneys of the world , who would pay 2 or 3 times more for a tv that is little , if any better ?? you cant buy a car as good as an s class for a third of the money , can you ?

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure this car analogy thing is helping the guy with the question. Still think in the end the answer is go to a reputable shop, ask for a demo of each, play with them to see which interface works best for you, which picture looks the best, which object looks/feels best and most importantly which gets approval for being admitted to the home. Then purchase and sit back and enjoy! Simples....

A

Anonymous

no cars i promise , you have already answered the question i think , if the tv has to be bought soon then go look and see what you like , if sound is important it has to be the sony though , samsung sounds like a mobile phone on loudspeaker ..

A

Anonymous

greychins46:
I'm not sure this car analogy thing is helping the guy with the question. Still think in the end the answer is go to a reputable shop, ask for a demo of each, play with them to see which interface works best for you, which picture looks the best, which object looks/feels best and most importantly which gets approval for being admitted to the home. Then purchase and sit back and enjoy! Simples....

Thanks for coming back to the question
emotion-5.gif

Yesterday, I went to Curry's/PC world store and have seen
both TVs But, unfortunately, they show just blue-ray picture and when I asked
them to show me SD picture there answer was No, it's not possible due to setup. Look
wise, Samsung definitely looks better and Blue ray picture quality was
impressive on both.

A

Anonymous

aulakh:greychins46:

Thanks for coming back to the question
emotion-5.gif

Yesterday, I went to Curry's/PC world store and have seen
both TVs But, unfortunately, they show just blue-ray picture and when I asked
them to show me SD picture there answer was No, it's not possible due to setup. Look
wise, Samsung definitely looks better and Blue ray picture quality was
impressive on both.
My first option is to buy one of them. On the other hand, if I have to wait for new ones (Z5500 or UB8000/9000) then I have to consider Kuro as well because their price will match with Kuro 5090/500A.

A

Anonymous

the sd on the samsung is said to be very good , also samsung regularly release online firmware updates for their tvs , their customer care seems good according to posts on here where faulty sets have been replaced hassle free , the samsung is newer , you can watch hd files downloaded from the net on it using a usb stick , it has endless picture adjustments , sound is its only weakness , in my opinion its a better buy than the sony , which was overpriced when new because it was the first 200hz set ...

A

Anonymous

No problem. You might want to try another retailer(s) who will give you a little more time / help (and respect as a potential paying customer) so that you can make an informed purchase.

Maxflinn - you're right, I forgot the sound part out of my list. Even more important when it comes to cars, of course.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts