Sony KDL-W4500 vs W4000 vs Panasonic Plasma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi...new to forum and have been reading many of your comments with great interest...

Have been waiting for prices to drop on the Sony KDL-40/46 W4000. Only point that worried me on this model was SD viewing, since I will still be doing this a lot in the foreseeable future (although SD performance should increasingly become less important). Either the Samsung LE40/46 A656 (as another LCD) or the Panasonic TH-42/46 PX/PZ80 (as a Plasma) seem to do this better......

The Samsung and the Pana seem to be not as good at sharp detail and the Pana is perhaps not as attractive to look at (if design and style are important).

Now the W4500 series is out (and from what I can see in the latest review) this SD viewing quality seems to have been improved by the new 100Hz Motion Flow, contrast increase to 50,000:1, etc.. Is it then fair to say that the W4500 series in the 40/46" size now has comparable SD performance to a Pana plasma PX/PZ80? Has anyone auditioned yet?

Only other major differences I see are the power consumption. The Plasmas seem to consume more power than LCDs and also the new W4500 series consumes more than the W4000 (234W compared to 176W - 40" versions). Does anyone know what affect that has on the ever increasing electricity bills assuming 800 hours of viewing in a year?

Thanks for any guidance...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
With the exception of the 50in Pioneer PDP-5090 Kuro (and even that struggles with low bit-rate Freeview channels) we've yet to see a Full HD 42in+ plasma or LCD that's wholly satisfying with SD TV.

Note the use of 'TV' there - the Sony and Panasonic sets you mention are a delight with DVD: it's Freeview's poorer channels that can pose problems for screens of larger size and higher resolution.

We certainly found the W4500 a step up from the W4000, but i'd say the Panasonic PZ800's TV tuner is slightly better still. But then the Sony W4500 has a crisper all-round picture and takes the Pana for HD performance.

As for electricity consumption - the figures are typically for peak usage: eg with everything turned up to 11 in terms of brightness etc. The Pana plasmas have an eco mode and you'd be using an LCD (if you follow our calibration advice) at well below its full backlight capability.

But yes, big TVs use a fair amount of electricity - until we see the more eco-friendly models promised for 2009, that's going to be the same for any brand. I'd suggest enjoying the best picture your money can by and then turn the heating down a few notches and bung on a jumper instead. Oh, and turn off everything on standby that doesn't need to be always-on!

A

Anonymous

Great..! Thanks for the quick reply! Will push the budget to the 40W4500 and buy some thick jumpers....

It is interesting that the W4500 uses significantly more power than the 40W4000 considering one we expect the aim to be reducing consumption like you mention for 2009.

A

Anonymous

tsk tsk! have you not seen the new ad campaigns!

leaving things on standby is still bad apparently so you have to turn it off altogether! or better yet just dont buy it in the first place!

obviously you haven't seen this ad campaign because you have immersed yourself in jimmy bond blu rays!

which is probably a million times better than those ads!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Erm, but I said to turn everything OFF standby that doesn't have to be on (eg Sky box/DVD recorder etc)...

As a non car-driver who recycles, composts, and is a definite believer in the layers-on/heating down option, I have NO guilt or worry about my energy consumption
emotion-13.gif

A

Anonymous

The Sony KDL-40W4500 has a power off switch. If you can be bothered to walk all the way over to the set and press it.

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
I think my telly uses less on standby than the "say goodbye to standby" thingy that saves me walking over to the wall switch

A

Anonymous

You could always buy the Pioneer PDP-4280XD which has great SD performance and contrast.

A

Anonymous

I note from review of w4500 that it has 100 hz technology. I have a w 4000, and it is useless at tracking motion such as golf balls, tennis balls etc. It shows multiple balls in comet style tracking forcing me to move to the other room and watch sport on our 6 year old Panasonic plasma which accurately shows one ball each time! The screen indicates that it has 25hz technology. Can this be right? Would the low Hz rating cause the problems with motion?

A

Anonymous

My Sony KDL26V4500 also indicates a 25hz input (only on Freeview)... Is this due to Freeview being transmitted at 576i? Motion isn't so bad but still would like to know the answer ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts