Stuck between Panasonic and Sony models

bonjurkes

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm interested about buying a new 4K Smart TV as Black Friday deals are live, but I stuck between these two models:

Sony KD-49XD8077 (or 8088 or 8099 , same models) and Philips TX-50DX700.

Because Samsung KU series has juddering (people complain about it a lot) and LG models 4K panels has local dimming which ruins the black color. I am stuck between this two model.

There is no TV shops around me to check the quality of the images so I am just trying to decide by reading reviews, which is a challenge. Sony has IPS panel (which people say it's a big turn off) and Android Smart, Panasonic has MVA panel and Firefox OS

I read that Panasonic doesn't have UHD cert and HDR images and 4K images are not that good. And biggest turn off for Sony is IPS panel.

Can you show me a lead to which way to go with? My plan is mainly watching HD TV shows, Netflix (4K when possible) and Blu-ray movies. I am not planning to use SD content on the device (except satellite and tv channels but it's okay as it's not the main usage of the tv).

Thanks so much for the comments

Paul.

At this price point you are going to find something wrong if you look unfortunately.

Ive got a 58DX700 and do like it. The backlight uniformity is not as good as the Samsung but the colour gamut is wider. It has a local dimming system which very ocaisionaly does weird things but the majority of the time it's a benefit.

4k images are fine on it and out of the box the cinema profile is good. Firefox OS is great as long as it has the apps you want. I find myself using the chromcast a lot for plex and Crunchyroll but use iPlayer Amazon and Netflix built in. Man in high castle and grand tour on Amazon looked fantastic but I find Netflix 4K pretty mediocre.

I personally wouldn't buy an IPS tv so for me it was a toss up between Samsung and Panasonic.

Paul.

It's not the tv it's the content I think. Amazon content tends to look better. Netflix isn't bad it's a step up from the super hd but I sit two meters from from a 58", if I was three meters from a 50" I'm not sure how big the difference would be.

Daredevil had great contrast but Jesica jones and Luke cage were a let down by comparison. I'm chipping away at designated survivor, that looks pretty good too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts