Sony 46W905A vs Panasonic 42GT60B

jm1970

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I've always owned plasma TV's. Prices have tumbled on TV's right now. The Sony LED W905A in 46 inch is £1099. The Panasonic 42 inch plasma GT60B is £999. The £100 price difference doesn't enter the decision. My gut says to go for the plasma. However I've read umpteem forum posts from dissatisfied users of the GT60 complaing of flickering, fizzing...you name it....which makes me a little aprehensive. So the question is the Sony W9 LED or the Panasonic Plasma GT60?

You should demo both and compare. Specifically, look for viewing angles on the Sony & make sure you're happy with it. Panasonic's issue is of poor after.sales support as well. So buy from Richer Sounds or John Lewis whose customer service is amongst the best in the country. They both price match, and if you become Richer a Sounds' VIP member by simply signing up, you'll get a free 5 years warranty.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/richer-sounds-vip-members-get-free-five-year-guarantee-with-new-tvs

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
The Sony is about as good an LED as I've seen, however, if you've been happy with plasma, I think you may be left wanting. I'd bought an led as a second tv back when the pioneer was my main tele, and it looked great during the day, but washed out whenever I used it at night. Perhaps I was spoilt with the pioneer, nevertheless, I promptly returned the led to the store.

simbo188

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Sony just before xmas wanting to replace a samsung D7000 I have previously owned a poineer kuro and I have to say the Sony destroys the samung for picture quality the colours with the new Trimulous screen are to die for if you are going lcd you wont get a better tv than this one I can assure you motion is very good with no sign of blur and black rendition is very good all in all a fine tv :)

jm1970

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I've now seen the W9 with several source material played through it - it's not for me. It's probably one of the best LED TV's so I guess LED isn't for me. So now the question is - is it worth taking a punt on the GT60 even though this forum, AV Forums and HDTV tests forums have reported umpteen issues with it?

jm1970 said:
I've now seen the W9 with several source material played through it - it's not for me. It's probably one of the best LED TV's so I guess LED isn't for me. So now the question is - is it worth taking a punt on the GT60 even though this forum, AV Forums and HDTV tests forums have reported umpteen issues with it?

Personally, I've decided never to touch a Panasonic TV. Panasonic's after sales support is amongst the worst I've ever heard, and a lot of faults reported are rubbished by Panasonic as "within specification".

The only members who had a resoution either bought their Panasonic TV from John Lewis or Richer Sounds.

Check this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42gt60b/pana-txp42gt60b

Most of the members who own a Panasonic TV from GT50 / VT50 onwards have encountered some fault or the other.

jm1970

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
jm1970 said:

Personally, I've decided never to touch a Panasonic TV. Panasonic's after sales support is amongst the worst I've ever heard, and a lot of faults reported are rubbished by Panasonic as "within specification".

The only members who had a resoution either bought their Panasonic TV from John Lewis or Richer Sounds.

Check this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42gt60b/pana-txp42gt60b

Most of the members who own a Panasonic TV from GT50 / VT50 onwards have encountered some fault or the other.

Thanks for your advice. Decison made. I'm going to leave it and keep enjoying my 5 year old Panasonic plasma. And wait for LED technology to get better. Much better.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
jm1970 said:
bigboss said:
jm1970 said:

Check this:

Thanks for your advice. Decison made. I'm going to leave it and keep enjoying my 5 year old Panasonic plasma. And wait for LED technology to get better. Much better.

Or OLED to fall in price ;)

TRENDING THREADS