Sony Bravia Series 2010 - what does the orange theatre button actually do

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have a sony 37ex403 and sony bdp370 - what does the orange theatre button actually change

when i press it the picture changes but if i go into the menu settings for the tv i can't see any changes to my saved settings - what does this actually change - it also locks out some settings on the blu ray player?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have a KDL40EX503 TV and S760 bd player, the theatre button on my system changes the picture to the 'cinema' scene and from there you can alter the picture setting for theatre mode. I can't be 100% sure that your tv is doing the same due to it being a different model but i would be very suprised if it's not the same as mine.

As for locking out the bluray player i beleive this is just down to having HDMI Bravia Sync in operation, the two remotes being interchangable. If you can use your remotes to control both devices then you know it's switched on, to turn it off go to the Home menu on the Tv, then look for External Inputs and in that menu is HDMI Set-up, from there you want Control for HDMI and set to off. If that dosen't work you may have to do the same on your BD player to stop the two units 'talking' to each other but after that you shouldn't have the problem.

Hope that helps.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thanks for that - i did read about the cinema scene setting - but i set the tv as standard to the cinema setting as standard but the picture still changes slightly but none of the setting in any of the menus do not even within the individule colour ettings

i like to understand whats going on and what everything does and how it effects stuff but seems very little detail within the manuals as to what changes

A

Anonymous

Apologies if you've already considered this, but I found that the main thing it changes is the colour temperature setting, which goes from neutral to warm 2. This gives the picture the correct orangey warm tint, which is correct for watching films by, but which makes the picture look very different if you are used to the other setting. Again, apologies if you've thought of this, but this was what threw me at first until I discovered it.

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy

you posted on one of my topics about my sony set not sure if you remember i have the 40w5810 you did have the 40w5500 did your problems persist? is that why you have the 40ex503? any probs with that set? I have not been on here for a few weeks just moved finally and had no net i am using one of the mobile dongles for now untill i have a line installed!

I would just like to know as i am still having issues with my set is all!! mainly the backlight seems to be getting worse maybe it is the new set up i have!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Snakey,

Yep do remember our chat....and yes my problems did persist. I have replied to your question on my 40EX503 backlight advice thread so head on over to it for my reply. So glad i replaced my W5500 this year so there is a clue for you.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello again,

So here is the answer to this thread (as far as my 40ex503 is concerned). It seems that the Theatre button changes the picture to a preset Sony setting.

The following is how you can change that setting on my 40ex503 so it may be slightly different for other models, it seems that unlike last years models the 'cinema' scene does NOT effect the Theatre button setting so in order to change the Theatre setting i had to use the 'sync menu' button on the remote and from there you can change the picture settings (you must have 'Theatre' mode on before you do this).

You get an option to control the tv from the sync menu and from here select options and then you can adjust the picture for the 'Theatre' mode.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy

so did you get a refund for you old set and then buy again if so did you have to fight for the refund i am dreading doing it actually for one my wife will go mad and i do not want another duff set its gotta be done though!!!!

i really did not expect all this when buying a tv ahhhhh makes me so angry i am really glad to hear you are all sorted mate that is what we all want to be happy with our things by the way has the smearing thing improved by the way?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello again Snakey,

Well i ended up selling my W5500 privately, i was going to go down the refund route myself but i got a good offer that made it a better option to sell and be able to replace the TV quickly with the minimum of fuss. However i would have fought for a refund if that was not the case but it's nothing to dread, just know your rights before you contact the retailer.

Here is a really good place to start if you are worried (i know how you feel) with advice available over the phone too:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

Keep me posted with what you decide to do and if there is anything i can do to help just let me know via this thread
emotion-21.gif

As for the smearing on the new 40EX503...it's much improved over the W5500 and barely visible atall, the only problems i have had is with my current (waiting for Virgin HD box) Vbox but that is connected via scart so some smearing is inevitable but even so when compared to the W5500 it's night and day stuff! Pictures via all my other equipment show absolutely no signs of smearing atall even with games of Fifa10 which suffered badly on the W5500, so if you can get an EX503 you won't regret it.....this time lol.

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy

Like your style mate selling on a duff tv you must not have liked the punter:)

i will have a look at that link whan i have faster net mate i am on this mobile vodafone thing while i am supposed to be working at a chiller on the roof for microsoft hehehe.

oh no mate i am not worried about the approaching of sony centre i will fight my corner more dreading actually doing it as i did not have backlight issues or other issues for that matter out of the box did not notice anything for 3 weeks or more but i was very busy at the time with other things so maybe they were there plus last time i got the warning from the wife THIS IS THE LAST TIME hehehehe i wonder what she will say this time. i will keep you posted mate won't be for a while as i have lots to do in the new place thinking of it maybe i will chuck paint over the tv and do an insurance jobby hehehehe

cheers oldboy

A

Anonymous

oldboy

i do take on what you say about your new tv and i am very glad now that you are all sorted out but over the last few weeks i have seen 3 other magazine reviews of your tv and all mantioned very small bleed in the extreme corners!! i am waiting for my fave net tv review site to post a review of it see what they print as they were the ones that kicked it all off about the 40w4500 nearly 2 years ago which is when i was looking to buy that tv wow nearly 2 years still in same position hehehehe

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey,

LOL...actually USED to like the punter i sold my old TV to...but revenge is a dish best served cold in my experience and so it is in this case, as he gets a duff TV for quite a few quid. Now i am not condoning my behaviour BUT when i got the cash in the hand and the TV out of the door with no comebacks i just couldn't help but have a little chuckle to myself, is that so wrong? LOL.
emotion-19.gif

As for your TV, the good news is you got it from a Sony Centre so you should have no problems with getting it replaced in my experience as i have had great service from my local centre so i have every confidence you will get a no hassle replacement, as for the other half, i know that feeling well....i'm on the 6th TV in under 2 years so let's just say her patience is running rather thin by now lol. I tend to not bother telling her anymore as the standard response is 'NOT AGAIN!'.

The reviews you have seen i would say are rather fair in regards to backlight BUT the major difference is that it never impacts on the picture and i have not been drawn to the corners of the screen whilst watching movies as i was before, with a black screen some is noticeable in the corners but that's the only time it's visible. I have always been of the opinion that unless you spend twice the ammount of money on a lcd or go for an led TV then some bleed is always going to be present due to the tech.

All you need to know is that compared to last year the backlighting really has improved ALOT, it's not perfect however but i have no reason to return the TV but i am surprised that the WHF team never spotted it with their review sample, if i remember correctly they could find no sign of the backlight problems.

Really hope you get your TV replaced soon mate but keep in touch as would really like to know how you get on :)

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy

i will keep you posted for sure not doing anything for the momebt as i have so much work to be doing at home after work and at weekends and now the sun is out my job gets 10 times harder as i work on chillers that cool all these huge buildings, Good to hear that sony centre are good about exchanging tvs do i have to go to the same one? as there are 2 where i live and the guy who served me did not seem to be too clued up on tech if you know what i mean:)

i saw you post on another thread that your new tv has a poorer SD performance! in what way mate? noise? in the new place i am in i now have a half decent freeview reception i do prefer the pic on that compared to sky but it is not hd!

How are you finding virgin media i was thinking of going with them but i am tied to sky and they have less HD or will that change? is it still only 1080i? i do like the 3 tuner thing though..

talk soon mate oh i liked the fact that your other half is cheesed off with it all too i am not alone hehehe

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Snakey,

I'm not entirely sure about which store you go back to, all depends how the sony store system works (are they run as franchises or are they all just a sony store?) and i'm no expert there i'm afraid. I would suggest contacting the other store and airing your concerns with them, i'm sure if they can help they will. I personally would have thought that it doesn't matter as what happens if you move house? Don't quote me on that though, it just seems logical.

Yeah SD pictures definately are weaker on the EX503 and yes your hunch was right it's just a bit noisier and more grain BUT i'm still waiting for the updated HD Vbox so currently it's a bog standard Vbox connected via scart, however, that is the same connection i had with the previous W5500 and those traits are present here. It's not soul destroying by any means and certainly no deal breaker just an observation.

I must admit i have been pleasantly surprised with Virgin Media, i have broadband, phone and TV with them. I just had broadband to start with but after 6months or so they offered me the whole lot for no extra charge or install charge so bit of a no brainer. The gumph they sent me on HD says full 1080p but i will have to wait and see...waiting for an install date...but that did surprise me as i thought like you that it was 1080i so will investigate further, 3 tuner i didn't know about so will have to check that out aswell.

take it easy in the sun mate, talk soon
emotion-11.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:

i have a sony 37ex403 and sony bdp370 - what does the orange theatre button actually change

when i press it the picture changes but if i go into the menu settings for the tv i can't see any changes to my saved settings - what does this actually change - it also locks out some settings on the blu ray player?

I have the w5500 and as explained above, it auto selects 'cinema' mode (Which needs calibrating)

Sounds like the new ones don't use cinema so unsure about that, but the whole idea of THEATRE mode is for use on 24Hz material (blurays) ONLY (Shouldnt be used on dvds, games, tv etc)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts