What made my TVs picture better?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

it's been sometime ago since I've been on the forums. I have a question I hope you guys (and girls) could answer. I've got a Samsung ue40d6500 for a year now, but after some changes I made to the blu-ray player, the picture just got better. Thing is, I don't understand why and like your feedback. Here's what I've done: the Panasonic picture settings are now NOT 24p anymore. Yes, you read that correctly. Hdmi output is still set to 1080p. Tv aspect 16:9, tv system Pal. Blu-ray player is the BDT-210.

By the way: the reason I changed settings is because I needed analogue stereo output from the bluray player. As it turns out that the only way to do this was to change the settings as I described above. I suspect that after the change the processing is done by a different device. Question is: which one? The blu-ray player or the tv?

In what way has the picture got better? This is what I think.

1) 24p: If the disc is 24p, you should watch it in 24p or in multiples of 24. Pictures coded at 30fps will judder at 24fps.

2) What was the HDMI output set to initially? Blu ray discs generally are 1080p. So if you set your player to auto or 1080p, no manipulation of the picture takes place, which is what you want. If set to anything less than 1080p, your player will be downscaling the picture, only to be upscaled back by your TV. Obviously the picture quality will suffer.

3) Aspect 16:9 will ensure that all films shot in 4:3 will be stretched sideways to fill the screen.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm a bit confused here as I have the BDT500 because of the analog outs for sound but that still alows correct playback @24FPS over HDMI. This may be a silly question but your TVs aspect ratio is set to JUST SCAN otherwise the BD player will not allow playback @24FPS as it will "see" the TV as not being able to display 24FPS.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
@ D.J. Krime:

I wanted analogue stereo out from the blu-ray for connection with my stereo. First just changed settings to stereo out. Result: no sound.

Then googled 'analogue stereo bdt210'and found this forum post. See the 4th post.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/what-made-my-tvs-picture-better

I changed the settings as suggested and got stero out.

I will check my tvs settings when I'm at home to check if that is set to scan.

@ bigboss

HDMI output was originally set to 1080p; 24p; 16:9. Only thing I changed was stereo out and 24p set to 'off'

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Superaintit said:
@ D.J. Krime:

I wanted analogue stereo out from the blu-ray for connection with my stereo. First just changed settings to stereo out. Result: no sound.

Then googled 'analogue stereo bdt210'and found this forum post. See the 4th post.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/what-made-my-tvs-picture-better

I changed the settings as suggested and got stero out.

I will check my tvs settings when I'm at home to check if that is set to scan.

I use the Multi-channel outs and mine still plays at 24FPS so find it odd that if you use the 2 channel outs 24FPS is disabled?:quest:

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
@bigboss: yes that's the thread.

How i experience the picture is better: more stable and the depth of the image seems more apparent.

EDIT: I can confirm that with the bdt210 stereo analogue out is only possible with 24p sett to off.

And found out that the output with this setting is 1080p 60hz. To me this gives a better result than 24p.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts